Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death

averageguy

Xbox has responded to the general tumult from the internet community regarding the dreaded triple light of death on the 360 by pledging to fix bricked consoles free-of-charge for up to three years from the date they were purchased.

"As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date."

Microsoft's Peter Moore posted on xbox.com. Furthermore, Moore pledged to "retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past."

This is awesome news. I have been waiting for Microsoft to update their cpu so it doesnt overheat and create this problem, but it is taking forever. With the new warranty I will probably buy one. This is a good move on their part actually addressing the issue. It will help their sales.

Is the powerpc cpu the one the 360 uses? I remember those PPC macs used to get really hot quickly. I call my xbox a space heater, because the room it's in is always like 5 Degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the others.

Here's a fun pun: This is really a 'hot deal' :)