Staples vent

I'm not sure if I should even bother with this but this is what happened.....

I was in Staples 3 days ago to buy the HPC3180 printer for $85. I had done all my research and for the price it was exactly what I wanted. I had the thing in my cart when the worker came over and tried to sell me the HPC5180 for $199. Well, he actually sold me on it when he said it was Ethernet ready and that printing from my laptop would be no problem.....He goes to get it and comes to tell me they don't have any and that I should call on Wed. when the truck comes in. At this point I'm a little irritated that they sold me a product that they don't even have but I agreed. That night I found the Best Buy ad and the printer was $169.99. Cool! Staples says that they price match 110%. So yesterday I go in with the ad to get the printer at Staples (we don't have a Best Buy in our town). He said they would only price match if they could call Best Buy and make sure they had the product in stock. Is this normal? Anyway, they did have it in stock so I did get the $169.99 price but now that I'm thinking about it the price match policy says 110%. Do you think I should go back for the other 10%?

This is not the first issue I've had with Staples but it's the only office supply store in my town. I don't think I've ever been in there and been charged the right price. Normally it's just a few cents (being charged for 17 binders instead of 15) so I let it go but I guess it's all starting to add up.

I would go back and get the extra 10%. If that's their policy, they owe it to you. (actually I would probably make my husband do it)Yeah, it's only 10%, but that adds up. I wouldn't have let the binders go either.

I bet if you kept track of all the stuff that was messed up from places over a years time you would change your mind on not getting things fixed! Okay, maybe it's just me. That stuff just REALLY irritates me!

Best Buy also calls other places to make sure they have the item in stock before they will price match for you. I think that sucks, but what do you do? My main issue with it was I was in the center of a large town and they would only call ONE store to check even though there were several within a short drive of there and of course the one they called didn't have it. I won't shop at that Best Buy anymore if I can help it.

The price match is 110%

that is 100% of the difference and 10% of the difference in price...not off the total price. So the $30 price difference would mean a $3 bonus, not $17....still worth going to get if it is not far of a drive....it's a matter or principal really.

I would go back becuase as you said, all of that starts to add up...

I'm not sure if I should even bother with this but this is what happened.....

I was in Staples 3 days ago to buy the HPC3180 printer for $85. I had done all my research and for the price it was exactly what I wanted. I had the thing in my cart when the worker came over and tried to sell me the HPC5180 for $199. Well, he actually sold me on it when he said it was Ethernet ready and that printing from my laptop would be no problem.....He goes to get it and comes to tell me they don't have any and that I should call on Wed. when the truck comes in. At this point I'm a little irritated that they sold me a product that they don't even have but I agreed. That night I found the Best Buy ad and the printer was $169.99. Cool! Staples says that they price match 110%. So yesterday I go in with the ad to get the printer at Staples (we don't have a Best Buy in our town). He said they would only price match if they could call Best Buy and make sure they had the product in stock. Is this normal? Anyway, they did have it in stock so I did get the $169.99 price but now that I'm thinking about it the price match policy says 110%. Do you think I should go back for the other 10%?

This is not the first issue I've had with Staples but it's the only office supply store in my town. I don't think I've ever been in there and been charged the right price. Normally it's just a few cents (being charged for 17 binders instead of 15) so I let it go but I guess it's all starting to add up.

Funny, but Staples can be difficult about that extra 10%. I brought an ad in at the time of purchase (a digital camera), and they would not give me the extra 10%, saying it was a price "match." If I had brought the ad in after I made the purchase, that would qualify for a price "guarantee" which qualifies for the additional 10%.

I thought that was pretty petty, but since it was only $3 I didn't make a stink. (But, hey... $3 is $3 and I would do less for it.)

So the moral of the story is, make the purchase first, and then go back for the price "guarantee..

Joanne

Thanks, I did go and get the 10%.

Bottom line is that this has been the worst Staples experience (no, I haven't even hit all the details in this thread) and I won't be purchasing any large items there again! Hopefully, for the consumers sake, the problem with their customer service lays with my local store and not everyone has to go through what I did!