need cheap gift for 16 yr. old boy

Hey everyone-

First of all let me say...this board rocks!!

Now on to the show...

I have a family that I ran across in my job (officer of z law) that is in dire straights. No christmas tree, nothing, for christmas. We found a christmas tree at Family Dollar (manager cut us a deal)

I am looking for cheap (but good) deals to get the kids/mom stuff. This is coming out of me and my work partner's own money, so when I say cheap, I mean, you know, GOOD DEAL!! lol

This is who we are trying to buy for....

16 yr. old boy (maybe MP3 player?)

10 yr. old boy

6 yr. old boy

3 yr. old girl

oh, and mom who is pregnant with #5 (girl) and has no maternity clothes that are less than 20 years old.

They need beds, curtains, furniture too (yikes!!).

Any leads would be appreciated

Thanks all,

Michelle

Does it have ot be new? I can go home tonight and scrounge up some fun stuff. One thing I do have new that I'll gladly ship to you are a few of those mini remote control cars and bikes. Those are brand new in the package. I also think I have an old Nintendo 64 sitting around with some games if you're interested in that. Tell me if you want only new or not.

That would be awesome!! I think gently used would be fine. I would be willing to help with shipping too. I know I've been going through my stuff too trying to figure out what would work:cheesy:

It never fails; two weeks before Christmas; too late to go through traditional channels...

The mom does work full-time, however, that is working against her. She makes $12/hr., which puts her over the limit for assistance, however, most of us realize that 12/hr doesn't really cut it for a family of 5.

There's a thread on here somewhere else that mentions this, but Target has a gift card this year that becomes an MP3 player when you put $50 on it. You could get the GC and use it for other shopping (& maybe leave a little on it?) then give that as an mp3 player.

The dollar tree has good coloring books, you could add crayons, markers and color pencils for bothe the three year old and the 6 year old. Matchbox cars for the 6 year old and maybe one of those rugs or mats that have the road on it. The older ones will be harder to do cheaply at least for me they would be.

It was posted on another thread that Amazon has...

- Dora Scootskate $9.99 with free super saver shipping

- Barbie 34-Inch Wagon $14.99 with free super saver shipping

- Barbie roller skates $4.99 with free super saver shipping

You could also check out Family Dollar.. they have some really good deals on Bratz Dolls and Carebears, and a couple remote control trucks/cars.

To list other things...

Play Doh

Dinosaurs

Matchbox cars/sets

Army Guys

Any kind of action figures (Wrestlers/star wars/power rangers, etc)

Do you think they need a DVD player? and then maybe some DVD's?

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

;) good luck.

And you all are doing such a great thing, you should really feel proud of yourselves.

Its a great feeling to give like that.

DH is a deputy. They do fundraisers and every couple of years they bring in this off-shoot group of the Harlem Globetrotters to do a game of basketball of them vs the police. It's free for the kids to get in and the HG bring in merchandise where they split the profits with the police group. Great way to raise funds.

The monies are then used for Shop With a Cop. They just did theirs last weekend. They get a list of necessities from Mom and then once those are purchased they can pick out toys.

All that said - a big YES to the MP3 player for the teen boy. lol Ten year old boy would also enjoy that.

Look around for local resale shops and put the hit on them for a break on some quality clothing items.

The only thing about an mp3 is the boy has to be able to have access to a way to download the music as well as being able to purchase it. Maybe a CD player a better idea with some CD's? (and extra batteries) Maybe handheld games. I have 2 teenage boys and sports stuff is always welcomed. Basketball, football or some roller blades if you can get the size. Also a nice jacket the varsity type with a college on it from Steve and Barrys is always welcomed by my guys. (And they are so cheap and have held up well.) The other thing every teenage boy I know is asking for are those things of Axe and Tag. Apparantly around here if you don't smell like one or the other you must be crazy. Mine have also asked for electric shavers, by the way, does this make me old? I would just think of things that he doesn't need more money to be able to enjoy for a long time. Cool hats and cool shirts maybe a gift card to his favorite clothing store. Just was thinking. I know WM had some really cool t-shirts marked down to $3 and $5, I bought a few West Coast Choppers ones for my teens. Hope I helped you think some more for the older boy. I have both a 14 and 15 yr old boy and these were common wants by them and their friends.

I don't know how much you're planning on spending, but I have saved a BUNDLE in the last 2 weeks doing the google checkout deal on buy.com. For every $30 you spend, you get $10 off your order and for every $50 you spend you immediately get $20 off your order when you checkout thru google! I've placed 4 orders and got each as close to $50+ that I could, and saved $20 each time. So you could get $50 worth of stuff for $30. They ship VERY fast; got something today (13th) that I ordered in the wee hours of the morning on the 10th. Most of the stuff I got was free shipping, too. They are sort of like amazon, but on a smaller scale. They have toys, electronics, clothing, etc. I think items would get to you standard shipping if you order Thurs. or Fri. Hope this helps! You are doing something REALLY nice, God bless you! ;)