What did you do when your kids snooped in their gifts???

DramaQueenLucy

Update....my oldest snooped this morning!!!! He did fess up and he feels really badly. Our usual rule is that anything that got peeked into gets returned, however, he found his top 3 items, and the ones I worked the hardest to get! I'm toying with what to do and came back to this thread to read some of your ideas. As I'm writing this, he's in his room writing an apology to his father and I and what he thinks we should do. I made him write down exactly what items he saw and then I told him exactly what I went through to get each item. He was in tears.

I'm thinking that I will hold those items back and then give them to him later in the day, or the next day, unwrapped. I would hold them for his birthday, but that isn't until October, so almost a whole year from now those items may not even interest him anymore (and with 3 boys, we buy each of their gifts with the idea that they can be shared with all 3 of them)

I think what got him the most was when I said, "I really thought I could trust you". I'm not going to 'punish' him beyond the letter and the 'parental disappointment'...but I think I do like the idea of giving them unwrapped later on....

still thinking...

Update....my oldest snooped this morning!!!! He did fess up and he feels really badly. Our usual rule is that anything that got peeked into gets returned, however, he found his top 3 items, and the ones I worked the hardest to get! I'm toying with what to do and came back to this thread to read some of your ideas. As I'm writing this, he's in his room writing an apology to his father and I and what he thinks we should do. I made him write down exactly what items he saw and then I told him exactly what I went through to get each item. He was in tears.

I'm thinking that I will hold those items back and then give them to him later in the day, or the next day, unwrapped. I would hold them for his birthday, but that isn't until October, so almost a whole year from now those items may not even interest him anymore (and with 3 boys, we buy each of their gifts with the idea that they can be shared with all 3 of them)

I think what got him the most was when I said, "I really thought I could trust you". I'm not going to 'punish' him beyond the letter and the 'parental disappointment'...but I think I do like the idea of giving them unwrapped later on....

still thinking...

How old is he? I like the idea of opening it later in the day.

See Christmas is not for punishing, every one loves to look just some do not. He really hasnt done anything but ruin his suprises that you worked hard to get. It will be a ho hum Christmas for him as you wont have any suprise to give him, You will not be able to have the joy of seeing that amazement in his eyes. So he already lost. My son did this one year and it hurt him because he couldnt be suprised and Christmas morning was no fun, That to him was punishment enough and he never ever thought to snoop again,