Sweet Tracks - Free Christmas Music at Best Buy

BFJedi

So Best Buy gave out baseball-card sized handouts to the first 200 people at each Best Buy. I went ahead to signup for my free Christmas tunes through the Best Buy music store at http://www.bestbuy.com/sweettracksspecial and in order to get the tunes you have to sign up for Rhapsody for a 30-day trial (after which you pay $14.99/month).

This is stupid! In previous years Best Buy would simply give out a pressed CD in a Christmas decorated 'tin'. I realize they are trying to promote their online music store, however if you don't have a credit card to sign up, you can't get your 'free' tracks. Their software is also bloatware and has added some sluggishness to my PC. Furthermore the Best Buy software won't let you burn the songs to a CD, so you have to download and install Real Media Player 10.5, then signup with the real.com store (credit card again) and finally you can use Real Media Player instead of the Best Buy Rhapsody player, so you will be allowed to burn the tracks to CD.

After doing all that I found out something much more annoying.. The free 14 'Sweet Tracks' are mis-labeled in the music player on your PC. I went through the trouble of figuring out what they should be, so here's the key:

Best Buy/Real Audio Player listing = actual tracklisting (what it should be labeled)

Christmas in America - Melissa Etherage = Deck the Halls - Brian Wilson

Silent Night - Lifehouse = O Little Town Of Bethlehem - Chris Botti

Candy Maker - Holly Brook = Hark The Herald Angels Sing - Dave Koz

Hark The Herald Angels Sing - Dave Koz = Lo, How A Rose E're Blooming - Feist

The Holly And The Ivy - Lucy Walsh = Candy Maker - Holly Brook

Lo, How A Rose E're Blooming - Feist = O Holy Night - Kaci Brown

Deck The Halls - Brian Wilson = White Christmas - Keith Urban

Joy To The World - Nick Lachey = Silent Night - Lifehouse

O Holy Night - Kaci Brown = The Holly And The Ivy - Lucy Walsh

The Christmas Song - New Found Glory = Christmas In America - Melissa Etheridge

White Christmas - Keith Urban = The Christmas Song - New Found Glory

O Little Town Of Bethlehem - Chris Botti = Joy To The World - Nick Lachey

The only tracks actually labeled correctly:

Do You Hear What I Hear? - Flyleaf = Do You Hear What I Hear? - Flyleaf

What Child Is This - Train = What Child Is This - Train

I don't know if my PC and the DRM mislabeled the tracks, but 12 out of 14 being mislabeled is annoying. I hope the list above helps someone.

The first 200 people that received the handout at their Best Buy.. the packet includes a code for 5 free songs at Rhapsody of your choosing. I have not used them yet, but you can be very sure I am going to cancel before the 30 day trial is done.

I have to sign up for something? Uh, forget it then. Who wants mine? Paypal me $1 ;) seriously

Yep.. actually twice if you want to be able to burn those tracks to a CD

1st time to create the Rhapsody accoun

2nd time to create the Real Media store account, so you can access the tracks with RealPlayer instead (to burn them)

The card pack is just a code to get any 5 songs of your coosing from the Best Buy music store/Rhapsody.