Wireless Router - best deal?

lexi_kaye

I could use the same help. I basically want my dd to be able to get online in her room. We currently have DSL. I am LOST!!!

I assume that you have your DSL connected to a PC somewhere in your home, and you want to share the internet connection with DD in her room? Does she have a desktop or a laptop?

Here is a list of over 20 wireless routers available on BF.

In my opinion the best deal is the Linksys WRT54GC for $19.99 for these reasons:

• Does it make sense to stand in line for 8 hours to save $20 on a wireless router? I didn't think so.
  • Assuming CompUSA will open at Midnight like they did last year that's better than 5AM.
  • Linksys is one of the top manufacturers for consumer networking hardware.
  • $19.99 out the door, no rebate hassles, stores open at midnight and not waiting in line for 8 hours.
  • If you're still not convinced check out this review.

Although we already own a Linksys WRT54G, I'll be buying this as a backup or gift.

I assume that you have your DSL connected to a PC somewhere in your home, and you want to share the internet connection with DD in her room? Does she have a desktop or a laptop?

Yes, she has a desktop (last years BB EMachines) in her room, ours is in the family room and her bedroom is on the same floor.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, she has a desktop (last years BB EMachines) in her room, ours is in the family room and her bedroom is on the same floor.

Thanks for all the help.

A wireless router would be perfect for your situation. The wireless router would be added after your DSL modem. This would enable you to share high speed internet throughout your entire house with no wires. Every desktop, laptop and even gaming console would be connected to your wireless network.

Here's what you need:

I too was going to purchase the router and notebook card from BB, but now Im wondering if it's such a good deal.

Like you I also have DSL, If I get the notebook card can I take my computer anywhere and be able to sign on to my internet?

I really don't know anything about notebooks, Im planning on getting the one at BB on BF.

I would love some advice and help :P Thanks!!

Please note that if you only have 2 computers, you need the wireless router as RossMAN says, but you'll probably only need one wireless adapter. That's because you'll connect your "main" computer to the router via an ethernet cable. The second PC will then connect to the router wirelessly via a wireless adapter you'll install on the second PC.

l

Can somebody help me??? I want to know what the FASTEST router and card you can buy!!:gdthankyou:

The fastest would be the Netgear Super-G 108Mbps for $9.99 AR and you will need a Netgear Super-G 108Mbps as well.

Please remember this will not increase your internet speeds at all. It only helps if you're transferring files between computers.

Is it worth it? Since it will not increase your internet speed, the answer is no.

I too was going to purchase the router and notebook card from BB, but now Im wondering if it's such a good deal.

Like you I also have DSL, If I get the notebook card can I take my computer anywhere and be able to sign on to my internet?

I really don't know anything about notebooks, Im planning on getting the one at BB on BF.

I would love some advice and help :P Thanks!!

Does your laptop already have built in wireless network card? It might. What's the brand/model number?

Please note that if you only have 2 computers, you need the wireless router as RossMAN says, but you'll probably only need one wireless adapter. That's because you'll connect your "main" computer to the router via an ethernet cable. The second PC will then connect to the router wirelessly via a wireless adapter you'll install on the second PC.

l

Thanks and I have corrected my previous post. Good 'ole ethernet :)

Thanks for all the help.

Our son also has that computer. All you will need to get is a wireless router, and they have usb connectors for the cards now. Our sons computer has one of these and it works really well. Don't go with the old stuff, eg. routers and cards that have the b after the numbers. The g routers and cards are great.. not long range but if it's a desktop staying in his room it should be fine. My whole house is wireless and we have over 6 pc's going here and I did the network myself. (Trust me I'm not a computer wiz, just know some stuff about them) This is what our son has on pc, which is the same pc you bought last year from BB. Netgear wireless G- usb adapter. (looks just like a usb memory stick) And we have in the living room the netgear wireless router. The router will tell ya how to hook it all up. It's not that hard either. You don't have to use these brands or get them at this place. Just wanted to show you what we are using to give ya an idea. Other brands sell the same type things. Hope this helps you!

Link to usb-

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=1163816709381&prodCatType=1&storeId=10001&productId=104208&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG58

Link to router-

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?ts=1163816718895&storeId=10001&productId=89788&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG58

I have the NETGEAR WGT624 (Staples last BF). I've had no problems with the router. It is true that the whole 802.11b vs. 802.11g vs. 802.11n is mainly hype. As others have mentioned, the throughput on all these routers is greater than our current internet speeds so you get no help in terms of connection speed. It is not as if any of these routers is stifling your speed on the internet. I will say that the NETGEAR WGT624 being SuperG does have significantly stronger signals at longer distances around the house (versus the 802.11b router I replaced). I believe it is advertised as 4x greater distance than regular 802.11g. It is not that good but still substantial with the XR (extended range feature) enabled. If you have a big house and are covering a lot of ground, I would certainly consider this one from CompUSA. I believe the notebook card and usb adapter that pair nicely with this router are also on sale in the CompUSA ad. Hope that helps.

I'll throw in my FYI for anyone who cares. I bought the Belkin router at WalMart a few months ago and couldn't get it to do right, so after numerous attemps, I called their support number only to go through an automated roundabout forever! After I finally got a person, I was told that they no longer provided support for this model -- my brand new unit.

So I returned it and got a basic Linksys. I had no problem connecting it but I did have trouble with a very old lap top I later tried to add to my network. I called their customer support and got someone right away (albeit in an overseas center.) This person spent over an hour with me, even though we were almost sure from the begining that the laptop was too old to be compatable. I always recommend Linksys now.

Does your laptop already have built in wireless network card? It might. What's the brand/model number?

The laptop Im hopeing to purchase was the one at BB for 379.99

HP Intel Centrino Intel Core Solo Processor T1350

I also had a question about the router, I have 2 desktops I wanted to hook up. Im confused :confused: There is something I have to buy besides a router to hook the computer together?

I know im being a pest :fluffy:

Thanks!!

The laptop Im hopeing to purchase was the one at BB for 379.99

HP Intel Centrino Intel Core Solo Processor T1350

Yep that has wireless built in :)

I also had a question about the router, I have 2 desktops I wanted to hook up. Im confused :confused: There is something I have to buy besides a router to hook the computer together?

Please read my previous post which already answered that question.

Yes you need a wireless card which is around $30 - $50.

I know im being a pest :fluffy:

Thanks!!

It's quite alright you're not being a pest at all :)

Yep that has wireless built in :)

Please read my previous post which already answered that question.

Yes you need a wireless card which is around $30 - $50.

It's quite alright you're not being a pest at all :)

Thanks!! ok so I think I have everything, well hopeing to get everything... :blush:

but a wireless destop card, which I have to look for... I didn't see any one sale for BB. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper but nice brand?

If you need wireless access for your desktop, laptop or TiVo I would recommed this for $10.94 AR with free shipping.

BB sells some desktop cards but they're not cheap.

Thanks for giving me the heads up!!

ohhh I have one more question to ask you, I seen a router in this weeks ads for 10 less then the Belkin MIMO router on BB..

Is this a better deal? since I have no clue about routers.. :confused:

here is a link to the router onsale this week

http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2412876&rapid=0&listingid=-2094103987

I hope that takes you to it, you also receive a free adapter (like the BB sale)

THANK YOU!!!