giving a pet (dog/cat) as a gift?

nick_jenni_jocelyn

has anyone ever heard of this or actually done it? We dont have any pets due to the fact that we all worked and no one had time to spend with a pet. but now that i am on bedrest and cant work, I am thinking about giving my dd(and really the whole family) a pet for xmas. I would look at one from a local shelter since you can get all the shots and what-not for around $75. My dh and I have made the decision that after the baby is born, I will comtinue to be a SAHM for some time. so i dont have to worry about going back to work for a while.

just wondering if anyone has any advice on this and how to do it.

I would def. check with whatever shelter you are planning to adopt from, in my experience most will not adopt after a certain date in Dec. They close down adoptions to prevent impulse adoptions that they will eventually get back as surrenders. A+ for going the shelter route though!

I think it is a great idea! :) Shelters are the way to go!

I would find your local shelter and find out when they are open during Christmas. Maybe you could take her in a day or two before and get an early present! :) OR... if you know what size dog you are going after, you could get her all the doggy supplies and put them in a box for Christmas and then tell her she gets to pick out the perfect puppy for all of you (with your guidance of course.) I still remember the day I got my first puppy! :)

I think it is a great idea. If you opt for a Dog or Cat going to the shelter is a great way to that. Most shelters also already have the dog/cat spayed or neutred so you wouldn't have to worry about that in the future or its part of the contract with them.

I would recommend deciding what type of animal you want dog/cat first. Call the Shelter and find out if they have any puppies or kittens (if you want a younger animal) and what type they have available. Then go for a visit. Either pick out the one you would like then or a GC to the shelter so your child can pick out the one she likes.

If you opt for the GC then I would do the box of goodies under the tree. IE carrier filled with treats, toys, shampoo, brushes etc.

However, Imagine her Eyes if the puppy/kitty was already at home sitting under the tree. Maybe have someone pupsit for you, or have the pay for the pup/kitten and have the shelter hold it for you till before a few days before christmas and have a friend watch it for you so you can have it on Christmas as a suprise in the carrier.

I am the director of a dog rescue. We will not do adoptions from 12/15 until 1/10 because they usually do not work well. When adopting a dog it should have stability in the first month and during the holiday's it is very hard to do. Plus, with all the people coming in and out during the holidays it will mess with the training of the dog.

There are also so many people that impulse buys that end up not wanting the dogs in February. You have no clue how many dogs come into rescue that month

JMO

Also, consider when your baby is born.. how this animal is going to act. Some do not do well with children or even babies.

However, if you decide to go with an animal for a gift.. Yes, go with one from the shelter. We got one, and he's the best Dog any family could ask for. (he was 3 and fully house trained when we got him.)

I didnt read the other posts yet so sorry if I repeat. Just make sure you're getting any animal that you or your husband are prepared to take care of. TOO MANY people get animals for their kids and they end up back in shelters because SURPRISE it didnt teach their child responsibility and the parents don't want to take care of the animal. It's a sad story for the poor animal :( Our neighbor runs a rescue program for all kinds of animals and she's overwhelmingly flooded with animals. It's usually the same story when they get surrendered to her. Don't let that happen :( Go to the shelter for sure - definitely not the puppy mill petstores with overbred, mistreated animals. Sorry for the tangent and good luck with your decision. Pets are awesome additions to a family if treated right :)

I work with a dog rescue and they are many dogs in need. If you want an idea on breeders/shelters/ and dog rescue groups in your area, go to PETFINDERS.COM. Put in your zip and you will see all the choices. Good luck with finding your perfect pet. Im so glad you thought of shelters first

My daughters grandparents gave her a Registered Pom a few years ago for Christmas. They took her to the breeder who had lots of different dogs and let her pick out what she wanted. The owner of the Pom watched her play and interact with the dog and watched how the Pom interacted with her before letting her purhcase the dog which IMO was a good thing.

After about 30 minutes of watching the 2 together she was satisfied that her and the Pom would be good together and that she would take care of him. Needless to say once she got home the Pom took up with my husband more than our daughter. He babies that dog about as much as I baby mine. But she has been wonderful with the dog and the dog has been wonderful with her.

My son got his girlfriend a dog from a local shelter one time when her dog was trapped inside their home that burned. A shelter is a wonderful place to get a pet from also. Just make sure the whole family can go to see how the pet will will do around each other.

I agree with everyone else who said everyone should be in agreement and be present at the selection of the lucky pet. I don't have any animals in my home now, and I'm not sure if I will (not because I don't like them - I love animals) because of the money and time they require. Who knows what will happen in the future, though.

i have both a dog and cats and i would say if your going to have a baby soon maybe you should think about a kitten they don't need to be walked and they don't need alot of attention like a dog does. my daughter is 5 and when her brother was in school it was hard trying to train the dog to go to the bathroom outside. quite a lot of times i would be getting her dressed and the dog would go on the floor. puppies alos chew because they teeth just like kids only they chew when thier getting thier adult teeth. our sandy (in the pic) chewed up alot of the babies toys, bottles.

cats do claw at times so you have to be careful with that and you also have to becareful with allergies (both dogs or cats) i would say wait a little while after you have the baby and take them over to visit the animals and see if anything happens. you don't want to get a pet then find out you can't keep it.

I am sure your daughter would love it. I would have to think long and hard though about if I would have enough time to devote to an animal after the baby is born. I would say a cat would be easier to deal with than a dog. If you do do it I would say fix a box of animal stuff and let your daughter actually pick out the animal. You have a better chance of her easily bonding with the animal. Our Zoe is a rescue cat and we could not have been happier without decision to adopt her.