Do you give gifts to teachers' assistants too?

I dont know how it is in anyone else's school... but our aides are there the same as the teachers.. they have group sessions and help teach the class. These days, they do more than just do cutouts and make copies, they have volunteer moms that do that. So the aide is as much of an important part of the teaching as the teacher is.

same here. my son is in the 5th grade and he has an aid in his class that has done great work with him, she was able to tell me more about the work he does in the class then the teacher did. i would definitely but something. and a great gift you can get is a GC. i spoke with some of the teachers in the school to try and get ideas and that was the one thing they said they could always use. if you need more ideas you can always go to the parent-teacher cordinator, mine was very helpful.

what is wrong with people, an aid is a teacher too!!! They may not have an equal work load but they are just as influential on our children as a regular classroom teacher, so respect that an get an equal gift, they are also paid a lot less than the classroom teacher.

I've taught kids at church for over 10 years with the last 4 years being to a special class on Wednesday nights. I can count the number of presents I have gotten from my girls - read - very few. People don't think about giving their Sunday School teacher or Wed night teacher a present. But it means so much!!! The school teachers get paid to teach, volunteers don't. So don't forget them also.

My DS is in kindergarten, and they have an aide in that classroom also.. I will be getting both of them gifts this year. Spending the same amount, probably giving them the same type of gift. The Aide does sooo much, and deserves a gift also. IMO>

:yup: :)

Of course! I have always gotten equal gifts for the teacher and the aide.

I think the aide's are just as important as the teachers. In some cases they do more than the teachers. I would get something equal for both.

I know from my experience that the aides do as much as teachers. My daughter talks very fondly of her classroom aide, more so than of her teacher. We do equal!

You guys understand about the aide/assistant. Because I'm one. :) Only difference is one gets paid more and more experience. I usually get gifts, only problem was I moved classroom to classroom which makes parents think that I'm not there anymore. Btw it's Child Care & After School program.

I have a friend who is a paid teachers aide for 2 classrooms. 4th graders. She said she totally does not expect a gift from the kids.

Well, when it comes right down to it, no one should "expect" a gift from anyone. The point is, it's pretty crappy to give the teacher a gift and exclude the aide, or give her something that's obviously cheap in comparison.

Thank you for making sure wonderful comments about teacher's aides. I work at an elementary school as a Title 1 reading teacher and some parents think we just look at the kids and don't do much. HAHAHAHA!!! There are 9 of us and we have our own reading groups from K-5th and help in the classrooms.

No we don't expect anything, but to just be acknowledged with a note is sooooo nice!!!

So after hi-jacking..LOL... yes please remember the aides :) I still do it for my girls' teachers and EAs (educational assistants are what we are "titled" as now) and they are in middle school!!

:gdclap::2wiggle::gdthums::woot2::g_dance:

I am a Teaching Assistant in NY state. It is so good to see how many parents know that the "aide" in the room is more than just a warm body. We work just as hard as the primary teacher and go home with just as much worry and stress over the progress of your children. For those of you that claim you know what's going on in your child's class, you may want to pay them another visit. Teaching Assistants, Paraprofessionals,Teacher's Aides all do a lot for education. Thank you to all the people that realize we are an equal part of your child's day.:thumbsup:

i would wonder if the aide is there for all the kids? and if so is the aide there every day?

amyers12345 In my class, there is an Aide, but she is there strictly to care for an autistic boy. There are several assigned to special needs kids throughout the school. I know some places are different, but many follow this policy. If that helps!

I'm an EA too! I have been a one on one in the past (assigned to help just one student) and I still get to know the entire class. Even if the aide is not there everyday he/she is just as important. Some aides also do recess and/or lunch duty and that's where I've really gotten to know the kids. I've been doing this for eight years and I've only been given a few gifts. It doesn't matter. I love the handmade cards, pictures that have been drawn, and hugs better than any gift! Thank you to all of you who see the importance of teacher's aides. :fluffy:

My 8 yo son is autistic and has an aide assigned to him but when he is doing his work on his own she helps out the other kids. She doesn't expect gifts from even my son but she always gets him something(she has had him for 3 years) so we always get her something and some of the other kids get her gifts too as she helps all of them even though she really doesn't have too.