Best Buy Warranty RAVE!

jerseygirl

Last Christmas my parents sent us the Insignia car DVD dual-monitor player (because they just moved to North Carolina from New Jersey & now we are forced to drive there to visit w/a 6&4 year old). It's was a great unit & the end of the Summer I lost a piece to the car-lighter adaptor. I went back to BB twice & they couldn't fit an universal adaptor for it. So I asked if they can order one under the warranty my Mom also purchased on the unit. Lots of talking to other Mgrs, etc and one comes back & said "We're going to give you a new one" :eek: Not a new adaptor A WHOLE NEW UNIT!!!!! All I had to do was go pick one off the floor, give him back the old one I've been using almost a year now & leave.

I'm a new fan of BB :yup:

Last Christmas my parents sent us the Insignia car DVD dual-monitor player (because they just moved to North Carolina from New Jersey & now we are forced to drive there to visit w/a 6&4 year old). It's was a great unit & the end of the Summer I lost a piece to the car-lighter adaptor. I went back to BB twice & they couldn't fit an universal adaptor for it. So I asked if they can order one under the warranty my Mom also purchased on the unit. Lots of talking to other Mgrs, etc and one comes back & said "We're going to give you a new one" :eek: Not a new adaptor A WHOLE NEW UNIT!!!!! All I had to do was go pick one off the floor, give him back the old one I've been using almost a year now & leave.

I'm a new fan of BB :yup:

I have been a big fan of the BB warranty for years. I have had very little problems with the stuff I have gotten from BB buy the few times I have had to use it they have always been helpful in repair or replacing the product. The warranty company they us is AIG and it is one of the best on the world. All of the hight ticket items I get from BB I get the warranty.

I absolutely hate to buy warranties for things I think should last awhile. Sounds like BB warranty is a good deal if you need it.

When you deal with electronics, computers, and big TVs the golden rule is that they are going to fail.

On computers Best Buy will take care of everything but theft and acts of G-d but they do cover lightning hitting your house. So if your hard drive crashes, something stops working like your mouse, keyboard or CD rom breaks, or processer quits BB will repair or replace your computer for free. They will do the same for a laptop. Even if you drop the laptop they will replace it.

For TVs if anything goes wrong with the TV or remote they will fix it. LCD and Plazma TVs will only last for 4 to 5 years with normal use and you run the risk of pixels burning out. If that happens they will replace it. I had a friend who had a pixel burn out and they were at his house with in 24 hours with a brand new TV.

Extended warranties are rarely a good idea unless you are excessively paranoid.

Consumer Reports has some interesting opinions on the subject in these two links that are worth reading:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/personal-finance/extended-warranties-905/overview/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/personal-finance/extended-warranties-905/product-repair-rates/index.htm

Extended warranties are rarely a good idea unless you are excessively paranoid.

Consumer Reports has some interesting opinions on the subject in these two links that are worth reading:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/personal-finance/extended-warranties-905/overview/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/personal-finance/extended-warranties-905/product-repair-rates/index.htm

Depends on the item, a couple years ago we got a laptop from there around $1,200...cheapest at the time were in the $800 range......had to replace the keyboard, battery (twice), motherboard, hard drive, ram, then got a new one after they finally caved in after looking up the problems with the specific line;).

Depends on the item and how well you'll think it will last....for the door-buster laptop's....forget it, in a year if it dies buy a new one....the cost will be the same as the warranty, however if you buy a $5k LCD/Plasma TV.....why not, if it fails it's covered.....color goes funny/back-light fails/picture distortion/contrast consistency problems.

My dad's had excellent luck with BB ext.warr. ... he destroyed every Palm & Clie he ever owned - and they had clear signs of abuse. Each time, the model was no longer sold, so they just gave him the amount he paid as a store credit ... they didn't even require him to put it toward the purchase of a new one (although he did).

Of course, I didn't have good luck with my phone - they wouldn't take care of it themselves like they promised when I bought it - they changed their policy and I had to jump thru hoops to get a replacement. They tried to give me a phone with FEWER features, NOT an upgrade but in my opinion a downgrade - but I complained enough to get a new one.

The damaged floor model TV that we bought cheap developed a problem and we took it in and they fixed it no problem.

I'm not sure how they do with digital cameras anymore ... they used to replace the batteries for you 1x/year. Unless it's an incredible deal at BB, I'd recommend getting a digital camera at Ritz or Circuit City - both warrantees cover ALL damage except fire and theft - in other words, if you drop it, they will still fix it free. For the cost, Circuit City seems to have the best deal - if I recall, for the same price, it was good for 4 years as opposed to 2 (of course it would be technologically obselete by that time). Of course if you get a camera like the Olympus 720SW, it's shockproof for like a 10' drop and it's immersible - good for underwater pics ... it looks like it's pretty indestructible! OK - that's off topic, but it's my 2 cents worth!!

I bought a projector for $1300 + extra for the warranty. About a year later, the unit stopped working (bulb?) Anyhow, I went to get the bulb replaced and apparently they didnt stock bulbs or fix it anymore. They told me they'd get me a new projector at the retail price of $1300.

That's a deal! A new projector with WAY better features and specifications plus the warranty transfers to the new unit.

Wow - I've never been able to get them to transfer the warrantee to the new unit - we always had to buy a new one (even though I specifically asked).

BTW - a couple years ago we got an expensive HP printer at BB. It was considerably cheaper at the Microcenter that was just around the corner, so we asked them to price match. They refused because it was such a big difference. I was about to make a big stink about it - after all, there was an enormous sign right above their heads with the policy on it and nowhere did it say they would only pricematch if it was only a couple bucks - anyway, as I was saying, I was just about to make a huge stink about it when I heard the manager tell the CS rep that they would match it if I purchased the extended warrantee. That tells me that even though some people take full advantage of the warrantees and actually get their stuff replaced, it is still clearly a huge moneymaker for them. I was told by someone who works at a big box electronics store that for many items they only sell them so they can sell the extended warrantees - in other words, they make more money off of the warrantee than off of the sale of the item!