Prepaid Cell Phone??

I am looking to get my 11 yr old son a cell phone for Christmas. Im wanting prepaid, I figure I will buy extra minutes as a gift and then he can earn money to buy his own minutes after that. I started looking at them and have absolutely no clue what is good and what isn't! Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? I don't even know what a good deal on one would be Im hoping to only spent about $30 on the phone and then maybe another $30 on minutes.

Any help would be great!!

Thank You

Tiffany

Walmart has the Sony Ericsson T290a GoPhone for 29.99 IT used to be around 40 something. They are now 29.99. With it you get free calls to anyone with cingular and the minutes are not bad at all.

I have a contract with Cingular, but my sister has the GoPhone and really likes it. You get all of the features as well.

Also...the phone above I have. In a rush to the hospital (from Mississippi to Ohio because my sister had 2 heart attacks in June) I accidentally dropped my LG in the toilet and had to get a new one quick. The go phones take the same SIM card that regular cingular phones do so I just dried off the card and slipped it in. I have enjoyed my phone. It is color screen and has lots of features.

I hope that helps :)

Thank You! Me and my hubby have Cingular so that actually sounds perfect! Then he can call us without using his minutes. We could just add him to our plan but he gets it taken away if he starts getting bad grades so I don't want to have to pay for a phone not being used. Plus I like that he has to pay for his own minutes. Trying to teach him some responsibility!!

If you get a prepaid cingular...you can call other cingular customers w/out using minutes, but that prepaid plan charges a $1/day access fee each day you use the phone with that plan (10¢/ minute)

The other cingular prepaid plan is 25¢/minute with no daily fee but you DO pay for all calls, even to cingular customers.

My boys got Virgin Mobile prepaid when they first had cell phones.

Great prices, great customer service etc. I was very pleased with them.

They are on the sprint network and they had free nights and weekends too.

You can also save money if you buy them on Ebay.