Leapster L-Max or V-tech Pocket

mickey873

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2? I have been looking at both online and can't decide which one to get! Which is better for a 5 year old boy?

Which do you have? Did you make the right choice? Which has better games? Have you had any problems with yours?

My son wants a game-boy, but I don't really want to go that route - so this would be my compromise.

We have a 90 mile commute, everyday - so a handheld game would be great!!

Any suggestions? Which would be your choice?

TIA -

mickey

Guest mldepalma

I can't comment on the V-tech, but I bought my dd (7 years old) the leapster l-max last year for Christmas. She loves it. She only has about 5 or 6 games since they are a little on the expensive side ($29). I know the regular leapster cartridges work with it but they don't have the special stuff when you hook up to the tv. (although she doesn't use it on the tv at all). There are better cartridges for older kids if you get the l-max cartridges. It seems like there are more regular leapster cartridges made for younger kids rather than older ones. I know target had cartridges on sale on BF last year and Kohls had the l-max on sale on bf.

I feel the same way about a gameboy - I just didn't want to start her out with mindless games. I feel better knowing that these games at least are somewhat educational. Although I have to say she likes watching her cousin using his game boy. Good luck! :tongue1:

My five year old son has had the VSmile Pocket since May and he (along with his sisters) love it. You may hear some reports of the system not lasting but we haven't had any problems with. We brought the rechargable battery (a MUST!!!) and charger. Just yesterday, my husband left it on top of the car and it feel into the street. No problem. Still works. The Pocket's being discounted for BF as are the smartridges ($14.99, down from $19.99).

My five year old son has had the VSmile Pocket since May and he (along with his sisters) love it. You may hear some reports of the system not lasting but we haven't had any problems with. We brought the rechargable battery (a MUST!!!) and charger. Just yesterday, my husband left it on top of the car and it feel into the street. No problem. Still works. The Pocket's being discounted for BF as are the smartridges ($14.99, down from $19.99).

oooh, where are they going to discount the Pockets? Any idea? I have only seen them as low as 69.99 so far. We have the main system already, and most of the 4-6 age games, and would LOVE to have the newer games and the Pockets for Christmas. I was hoping the Pockets might actually be a doorbuster this year............that would be great, since i need TWO!!

My son has the VSmile Pocket and the regular Leapster,

he and I both prefur the Leapster. The graphics are better

and they have games where you can use the stylus like

a pen and draw. I also think the Leapster games are more

educational. Which ever one you deside on definatly get

the rechargeble battery pack! They can go though 4 AA

batteries in 90 miles!:)

I got the Leapster L-Max for $60 back in September at Wal-mart.

My 4 yr old has the V-smile and the V-smile pocket and LOVED them, but both quit working within a matter of months. I can't speak for all of them,but mine were pieces of crap.

I am hoping to have better luck with the Leapster, as I have always had good luck with their other products.

BTW, my son also plays with his brother's GBA, and PS2, so I am hoping this will hold his interest and help him learn basic kindertgarten skills.

My 4 year old boy has had the L-Max since he was 3...still plays it daily! He has been very rough with it and it still works...make sure you have 4 AA rechargeables (make that 8) or the AC adapter to play it...It seems like I am charging the batteries daily, as he will not put the thing down. He rarely uses it connected to the TV tho.

My son received the original Leapster 2 years ago for his 3rd birthday, he loves it and it is great for longer car trips. As with any of the handhelds, the games are a bit pricey, usually $25 a pop. He and my older son share between the Leapster & GBA-SP.

oooh, where are they going to discount the Pockets? Any idea? I have only seen them as low as 69.99 so far. We have the main system already, and most of the 4-6 age games, and would LOVE to have the newer games and the Pockets for Christmas. I was hoping the Pockets might actually be a doorbuster this year............that would be great, since i need TWO!!

KB Toys is discounting during their Early Bird specials...keep an eye out for some of the other stores (Radio Shack, Target). Good Luck!!!

K-mart has all leapfrog software (leappad, leapster, etc) on sale this week buy one, get one 50% off.

By the way, if you are going to buy 2 L-max games ($32 each) and 2 regular leapster games ($19 each), expect to pay full price for both L-max games and get the two less expensive games 50% off. If you wan't 50% off the more expensive game, you will need to do a separate purchase of just the expensive ones, then purchase the other ones.

My K-mart had some nice games on clearance, too.

Wal-mart has math blaster for $11.

Costco has the Leapster L-max and either Dora Wild Rescue or Backyardigans for $79 (not L-max games, just regular leapster games)

Thanks for all of the input!! You guys are great!!

I bought the Leapster. I didn't spend the extra for the TV, as I don't really think he will use it that way.

It is on sale this week at Walmart in a bundle with a case, game and the leapster for $59! The game itself was $17.99 and the case was $15.99 - so I think it was a great deal! My local Walmart didn't have any, so I bought it online with 97¢ shipping.

I did buy 2 games at K-mart - the $17.99 ones, to get one at 1/2 price. I wanted the CARS one, but there wasn't a lot of other ones in the $25 category that I wanted. So, I printed off the $5 off coupon from Toys R Us and will use it on the CARS game there. It is on sale for $19.99 right now.

Thanks again for the input!! Happy Shopping!

mickey

My daughter has a V-Smile pocket and she loves it. The games for the younger kids are GREAT. I like that the games are challenging but don't discourage the child. For example, in the Care Bears game they have to jump from cloud to cloud to retrieve things. If the child doesn't make the jump to the next cloud then it will put them back on the cloud and let them try again.......no dieing and starting all over. That makes it so much better for the younger kids learning how to play these games.......they don't get frustrated. If you join the VTech kids club then about 2-3X's a year they have giveaway on V-Smile items. This year we got the car adapter, a V-Smile backpack and a Wiggles cartridge all free by just paying shipping. I think the V-Smile is one of the best toys my daughter got last Christmas and she's still uses it one year later.

Thanks for all of the input!! You guys are great!!

I bought the Leapster. I didn't spend the extra for the TV, as I don't really think he will use it that way.

It is on sale this week at Walmart in a bundle with a case, game and the leapster for $59! The game itself was $17.99 and the case was $15.99 - so I think it was a great deal! My local Walmart didn't have any, so I bought it online with 97¢ shipping.

I did buy 2 games at K-mart - the $17.99 ones, to get one at 1/2 price. I wanted the CARS one, but there wasn't a lot of other ones in the $25 category that I wanted. So, I printed off the $5 off coupon from Toys R Us and will use it on the CARS game there. It is on sale for $19.99 right now.

Thanks again for the input!! Happy Shopping!

mickey

Glad you got a great deal! I know my 5-yr old loves her Leapster (she actually plays it more than our PlayStation2).

One thing i can say about leapster... we have that and my daughter loves it. look at the games and ages they are for. i know leapster has games for up to 12? 13? and we had a problem with ours and they replaced it twice.... no questions asked. definitely worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...