Samsung HL-S5687W 56" 1080p DLP HDTV - $1,849.99 Shipped @ Amazon.com

Brad

Excellent TV, and I paid much more than this for the 50" version.

It has great upconversion (rescaling) of regular DVDs using s-video or component cables, so you don't need to buy a new DVD player.

It weighs less than a 32" tube TV (under 100 lbs) so can go on many less expensive stands.

Repairs of DLP TVs are expensive (easily $500) so a 4-5 year extended warranty is a good idea.

No, and past deals have vanished after a day or two. Buy now or regret it later :)

Actually, I;ve been keeping track of this Samsung 56" 1080P, it hasn;t reverted back to original price, but actually lowered by another 100. I think it was 1999 some weeks ago, and stayed until it was updated to this lower price. So, you might actually find it better to wait a little more (and take the risk), and I will be. Also buy the warranty plan like said above. You don;t want to spend much on repair bills. :yup:

And dang firefox won;t let me type apostrophes so I;m using semicolons :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
This definitely looks like an awesome TV. Looks like it would give a great movie theater experience. I've been leaning towards getting an LCD after comparing LCD's, Plasma's, and DLP's. I've always liked the way DLP's give such vibrant colors and the 1080p will give crisp detail. Hmmm...should I make this the one I get?

This definitely looks like an awesome TV. Looks like it would give a great movie theater experience. I've been leaning towards getting an LCD after comparing LCD's, Plasma's, and DLP's. I've always liked the way DLP's give such vibrant colors and the 1080p will give crisp detail. Hmmm...should I make this the one I get?

Depends what kind of LCD. I'm gonna be getting this Samsung later this year.

I've always thought the opposite. I had a Westinghouse 32" LCD which had vibrant colors (especially when watching ABC's "Lost"). Eventually I sold it, which I regret now and upgraded to a Toshiba 50" DLP. Of course now I regret that and wish I had bought this.

My Toshiba 50" DLP is beautiful but it's only 720p and cost $1600. For an extra $250 I would gain 6" and 1080p resolution. There is very little 1080p content right now but it does help "future proof" your HDTV.

This deal only gets sweeter with the free shipping.

So, Rossman, do you think this would be a great TV to buy? We have an ancient 20 yr old TV, about 25”, so this would be a major upgrade. Since you have had both an LCD and a DLP would like to know your opinion on this one. I’m thinking about stopping at CC or BB this afternoon to see if I can see it in person, but from what I’m told they do not always have the best feed hook up to their HDTV’s.

So, Rossman, do you think this would be a great TV to buy? We have an ancient 20 yr old TV, about 25”, so this would be a major upgrade. Since you have had both an LCD and a DLP would like to know your opinion on this one. I’m thinking about stopping at CC or BB this afternoon to see if I can see it in person, but from what I’m told they do not always have the best feed hook up to their HDTV’s.

So is this a projection or flat panel? We're looking for a deal on a flat panel and prefer a LCD.. I've heard to steer away from Plasma. Anyone have any advise??

DLP TV’s are projection. The little girl in the TV commercials that say’s “It’s the mirrors” are DLP’s. Mostly from what I’ve heard is the same thing about Plasma’s, but you will get a variety of opinions. LCD’s are the best way to go but you will spend the most on LCD and to get 1080p in LCD is going to cost you A LOT more than this Samsung. Every Samsung product I’ve had, whether it’s a cell phone or radio, I’ve been happy with. You really can’t go wrong with Samsung, Sony, or LG, but you will pay more for those brands. You will find people that say they love Olevia, and you will save money with that brand. As whether to go with a Plasma, DLP or LCD you will find a few on here say it’s subjective and depends greatly on what room in the house you put it in. Right now I’m leaning towards this TV, but overall it’s either going to be an LCD or DLP. You probably can’t go wrong either way, but LCD’s are about 10 inches thinner.

This is about 18" deep and weighs around 90 pounds (30-40 less than a 32" tube TV).

I'm still happy with the 50" version of this DLP after several months. The only bad thing about DLP and LCD projection TVs is that the viewing angle isn't as good as with plasma or tube TVs. There's a wide code where it looks great but if you move outside of that it's much dimmer.

Yes this is an excellent TV.

First of all I would definitely recommend visiting BB and CC to see TV's in person. Write down these models and take a look at them:

BB - Westinghouse 32" 720p -or- 42" 1080p LCD

BB - Toshiba 50HM66

CC - Sony SXRD 50" or 60"

CC - Samsung HL-S5687W 1080p DLP

Assuming the Samsung HL-S5687W is connected to a good video source (HD-DVD would be best) you might be tempted to buy it on the spot, DON'T DO IT! Circuit City has this TV for $2,199.99 but you can buy it online for $1,849.99 with FREE SHIPPING. Pay with your Amazon.com Chase credit card and earn 5549 points which you can later redeem for $50 Amazon.com GC's

As for my LCD vs DLP thoughts. If the TV is for a smaller room like a bedroom or you plan on hanging it on a wall then buy an LCD. Otherwise the DLP offers more bang for your buck and a better "theater like" viewing experience.

Remember Amazon.com prices fluctuate, so I would buy this TV soon before the price changes!!!

Click here to buy it now for only $1,849.99 with free shipping.

I just scored the ultimate Gottadeal! I went to BB to check this TV out and while I'm checking it out I notice a tag that says buy this one (the display one) at $2199 and get $250 BB gift card. Not bad I thought but the Amazon deal is better. A BB worker comes up to me and ask if I have any questions, so I said "sure, do you price match online deals?" He said it depends. I said I can get this same exact TV on Amazon for $1850 and free shipping. I asked if he would match it and he checked the Amazon site to verify then asked a manager and the mgr said yes. But then I said the one at Amazon has never been out of the box for $1850. I want this one for $1850 and the $250 gift card, and he said the mgr would never go for it. I said ask, and after about 5 minutes they said yes. I will be going to pay for it tomorrow and pick it up. I can't wait until I get to start watching sports and movies on it. I might use the gift card to pay for a HD-DVD player.