What are Christmas traditions in other countries?

NurseLissa

And how can I get them into a stocking? Im doing family stockings for dh's brothers and sisters. Right now I've got treats from World Market but I want to do things that are not just food. I want it to pertain to Christmas around the world, thats the theme. Do other countries use "stockings"?

Melissa

ITALY

In ITALY, on the evening of the day after Christmas, children are visited by a good witch named Strega Buffana. She flies around Italy on a broom and leaves treats for good children and coal for naughty children.

It is tradition to give a bag of dried lentils to your good friends to make lentil soup. This is a peasant soup and reminds them of their humble beginnings and is eaten to bring good luck and prosperity in the New Year.

wow who would have know, I hated lental soup as a kid, But now I have to have it during those cold winter months

Now this one we have always done

A strict fast is observed 24 hours before Christmas after which a meal with many dishes (but no meat) is served. The traditional Christmas dinner, Cennone, is made up of spaghetti and anchovies, an assortment of fish, fresh broccoli, tossed salad, fruits, and sweets.

They don't list any traditions in Israel. I kind of want to know what traditions they have in Bethlaham.

I am just guessing, but I wouldn't guess that many people in Isreal celebrate christmas- prolly why you are having probs trying to find christmas traditions there. There was someone who posted on another holidat thread that said they were jewish and celebrated christmas.....maybe they have an idea you can borrow that sort of bridges both faiths.:smart: