Canadians on BF

i.feature

thanks for the responses and great info!*hopefully* since the detroit/windsor border is always packed they won't enforce the $50 rule as strictly as other places:tongue1:

how much do you usually budget to take with you? i know it may not be terribly safe but i am taking cash, i simply can NOT be trusted to limit myself with my credit card on a day like that! is $300 US a decent amount? i'm not in the market for electronics or anything, just good deals on *stuff*.

who else is getting excited?! 6 more days!!!

I hate to admit how many times I have been on the BF websites already...so yes, I am really excited!

You are bringing $300 in cash but don't bring a credit card because you can't trust yourself?! Sounds like me but I do take a credit card anyway just in case of car trouble or an emergency or something...

I also have a US bank account so I have a debit card as well. Since I go so often, I put in US cash all the time (especially when the rate is in our favour) so it's there whenever I need it.

I hate to admit how many times I have been on the BF websites already...so yes, I am really excited!

You are bringing $300 in cash but don't bring a credit card because you can't trust yourself?! Sounds like me but I do take a credit card anyway just in case of car trouble or an emergency or something...

I also have a US bank account so I have a debit card as well. Since I go so often, I put in US cash all the time (especially when the rate is in our favour) so it's there whenever I need it.

LOL no i'm STILL bringing a credit card, just going to try and limit it to cash! i know since i will be out with the girls and NOT my hubby, i won't have anyone to stop me from jacking up my mastrcard! i should really look into getting a US account for myself, since we moved to Windsor this yr we go over the border ALL the time. is your US account through a US bank or a CAN one??

I have a bank account with Key bank which is a US bank here in Washington state. They have lots of Cdn account holders. So all you have to do is show them your Cdn ID and it's opened no problem.

There are some instances where a US bank credit or debit card is required so it comes in handy.

I also have a US post box which is sooooo handy. So if I buy anything US, they can send it to a US address and I don't have to pay a premium for them to ship to Cda (and worry about possible duty). I also subscribe to a ton of magazines so that's a lot cheaper as well.

Wonder how Cdns did at the border... I bought a laptop that I left at a friend's so I wouldn't have as much to declare this time.

I waited an hour to go through customs, declared U$220, had been in the US for 24 hours and got waved through without paying duty or taxes! I didn't see many people going in to pay so maybe they were pretty lenient?

I crossed over at the Port Huron border declared 390 US and had to pay 62 in duty....I was in the US for 29 hrs, I only had one car in line ahead of me....my parents went as well in a different vehicle in a different line up they drove right up and they spent 250 between the two of them and got waved through..

the lines in the stores werent bad, i was shopping at my first store by 3 am....everyone that tried to get back into Canada whether they took the bridge or the tunnel (we have both about 5 mins from eachother here in Windsor) got stopped. i thought it was bad at the bridge (which i took) but i heard it was waaaay worse at the tunnel. it was a zoo, there wasn't even any parking spaces left in the entire lot. i had to wait about an hour to see a customs officer to declare what i had and then i had to wait ANOTHER hour in another line to go and pay my whopping $14 i owed! my friend i went with bought about $600 of stuff and paid $44 so she did pretty well too.

you didn't have to pay any duty at all?! you're very lucky! because of what i bought i only paid about $4 in duty, the other $10 was taxes. the deals were still good though and i came back with money and didnt touch my credit card. overall a very good day!

Hi,

I am posted to Canadian Forces Base Gagetown and 3 hours away from Bangor, ME. Got there at 6pm for T-Giving dinner and then swung by Best Buy around 7:30 p.m. to recon the line which was about at 30 people and decided on joining in at that time. With all of the line cutters; my American girlfriend and Iwere about #37 in the line. As it turned out , she got the last $189 desktop package, the $250 Toshiba laptop, the $129 camcorder and 2-19.99 all in one printers. I got the last HP $379 lap top and the second last $250 Toshiba laptop.

All in all , it was well worth one day's annual leave!