Help with 17-year-old nephew gift ideas

baabnok

My nephew is at the stage where I now have no idea what to get him. I don't like to give gift cards and/or cash because of his mother (she's the type that will spend it and my nephew will get nothing out of it) He doesn't have his driver's license yet so nothing car-related will work. He just quit the football team this year so I am at a complete loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

hmmm gift cards are a bad idea if his mom is using them and hes not getting the benifit. though normally they are great for a teenager. with the mom taking them it ruins the wallet idea too. can you take him shopping with a friend of his.. or..cds ? maybe something like strawberries would be good ...a gc the mom would not have any interest in. or a savigns bond in HIS name ...though by the time it matures.. hmm .. maybe electronics? or video games. why did he quit the football team?

His Mom would spend it:confused: ,thats terrible IMHO

I know most 17 yo boys love video games, how about a magazine

subscription to a VG mag? OR a voucher for a day that you can take

him out to the mall or movies or lunch.

Or at 17 they are into smelling good, how about a basket of Axe or Tag

or some cologne/after shave,throw in some razors etc?

Good Luck

I know that you always want gifts to be a surprise. I am 19 and I know that most of the surprises I get from family members I usually end up not liking. My advice -- ask him what he wants and get it. It may take away from the surprise but it will satisfy him.

I'm sorry to hear that his mom does this. I know a girl who used to do the same thing. She would take back her kids' gifts and get the money after Christmas. She may still do it, I don't know since I haven't seen her in several years.

I like the wallet idea. I may try that with hubby this year.

I'm sorry to hear that his mom does this. I know a girl who used to do the same thing. She would take back her kids' gifts and get the money after Christmas. She may still do it, I don't know since I haven't seen her in several years.

thats even worse!!!! what is with parents these days!!!! i know a mother(for lack of a different not so appropriate term) who would open the birthday cards sent to her children and take out $ then give them the card and not even the envelope. when the one of those children was "with" our family and told us about that we all wanted to cry. he was so shocked to have a real birthday party and also got to open his own card,, when there was $ in he handed it to an adult and as we told him he keeps it he thought we were almost kidding..

My nephew is at the stage where I now have no idea what to get him. I don't like to give gift cards and/or cash because of his mother (she's the type that will spend it and my nephew will get nothing out of it) He doesn't have his driver's license yet so nothing car-related will work. He just quit the football team this year so I am at a complete loss. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I know the feeling I have family that we had to think of ways to get the kids stuff that was not returnable and forget about money or gift cards. We even would worry about getting anything and giving a gift receipt because they would just take it back. So we couldn't get clothes because they might not fit. We ended up taking tags and identifying marks off of the gifts that we gave so they wouldn't know where to take it back to. In the end we couldn't take the kids to the store because they would either have to lie or the parents would take the stuff back. The one thing that seemed work was buying stuff that they could not take back without a receipt and even if they did they would only get the same thing back (DVDs,Video games,software, anything electronic usually is this way). You just have to open them first. I would say the best was spending time either doing something like Amusement Park or some such. Favorite Restaurant. They wouldn't get to do anything with their parents because they wouldn't spend the money on the kids. Things have gotten better so I hope that happens in your situation just keep your nephew in your thoughts and tell him that you love him when you see him. Good Luck.

All of these stories about parents taking their kids $ is awful. I can honestly say first hand that I know what all of you are talking about. I have 2 nephews and, there again lack for a better word, or how about b---- of a mother of theirs, would take their Christmas $ and spend it on HER bills and the kids wouldn't get anything out of it. Its making me mad talking about it in just these few short sentences...:mad:

• 3 weeks later...