which game system to get?

Becky

We have an old Nintendo 42, and a playstaion 1, We are interested in getting the 5 kids ages 2-17 a new station for Christmas, but have no idea which one to get, game cube, playstation 2, X-box, if you know of any awesome deals, that would help also...any suggestions would be soooo much appriciated..Thanks Becky

Hi Becky!

I don't know of any awesome deals, but we own an xbox and love it. We have never had any problems with it and there are always an assortment of new games out. I know our local blackbuster only carries xbox and playstation 2 games now I think.

Anyways, just letting you know we haven't had any trouble with our xbox in case you were considering.

Becky,

Welcome to the forums, thank you for joining :)

It really depends on the type of games they are interested in. Since the age range is between 2-17 I would suggest a PlayStation II or XBox. Nintendo GameCube is a bargain at $99 with MARIO KART DOUBLE DASH but the teenagers might find the game boring.

The best thing about it is that whichever you choose, you'll benefit from the fact that the systems have been out so long that you can get so many great "classic" / "greatest hits" games for all of those systems for very low prices.

I own a gamecube and I must say I have hardly ever played as the great games are pretty far and few between each other. Theres nothing wrong with the system. Its great, the games look awesome, they play just fine and keep me entertained for a hours at a time, even for games I bought a year ago.

The majority of people own PS2s, it has a huge library of games so theres a chance you can find a good game for everyone who wants one, but since it has so many games theres a nice percentage of those games that are more towards mediocre.

Xbox would be for the person more geared towards "mature" games, and who wants action titles and high quality graphics. Most of the games they make are being made for going online and playing multiplayer.

So the older kids may not care for a gamecube and the the Xbox may not exactly be full of games the younger kids can really dig. By the process of elimination the PS2 seems to be the system of choice. Just don't buy the little kiddies the 18+ year old games. Can't stand listening to a horde of 10 year olds talking about killing people in grand theif auto games and saying its the coolest thing ever.

Well, from a mom with three boys, 16,14 and 10. I have all three systems. DS 16 has the xbox, DS 14 has gamecube ( he likes the nintendo formats) and DS 10 has PS2.. I will have to say lately xbox has more play time but for the longest time it was PS2.. just this past year xbox is the one they play with more.. :rolleyes: Since you have a PS1 I would suggest the PS2 since you can play your old games on that system. :)

My son age 10 has an x-box and ps2. Lately he really only plays the x-box and all the games he asked for this year was for that system. I like the variety of games in the PS2, but my son thinks graphics are better on x-box. I found also for some reason, that at GameStop (resell game store) the PS2 games are a tad cheaper than x-box.

Also keep in mind that some of the biggest games this year are all mature games. Grand Theft Auto is a great game, but it is quite full of racist remarks as well as a huge bunch of curse words and violence, not really the greatest game for younger kids, unless you have had a talk with them about video games.

I had my godfather come over and bring his son about 10 years ago, i had a game like mortal kombat i was playing and he wanted to play it, the kid was 8 i believe, so i said its probably not a good idea. Well he said to me, oh i know its make believe my dad already told me so, so hell in an instance like that one, i let the kid play it till he got sick of it. Thats what we need more of, parents who actually do something instead of wanting the government to once they get all shocked. So it all depends on your kids which systems games you will get also.

I'm jealous seeing all these parents so knowledgeable of video games. My parents were very clueless about them (which has its ups and downs, but I really would have liked them to be able to play with me or at least know what my games were about). But perhaps I grew up right before the huge boom of video games. In any event, you're all good parents in my mind ;).

--Mark--

Oh yes, I could reminisce for hours about the different generations of video games. Actually, my Atari 2600 just broke a couple weeks ago when my cousin tried to jam an Atari 7800 cartridge in it :(. I'm looking into the new Atari Anthology game for PS2/Xbox.

Ah, but I digress.

--Mark--

Well MK deception is a good game, atleast i liked it.... it is basically 4 games in one... a fighting game, a puzzle game, a chess game, and also a role playing type of game... it is violent when the fatalities are pulled off though...so keep that in mind...

Ya know, its funny... my parents were always very cool... for my 12th birthday party we had DAWN OF THE DEAD, and THE THING to watch.... now i knew they were only movies, and havent ever had a nightmare in my entire life... but wow did some parents flip when their kids had them who went to my bday party... and this was back in the very early 80's mind you... some parents are just jackasses id have to say... they dont teach kids squat about anything, but they punish them mentally about getting good grades....

Now im a bit of an expert on videogames.... i have had the following systems...

atari 2600

nintendo

super nintendo

n64

gamecube

genesis

sega cd

dreamcast

saturn

turbo duo

neo geo home arcade

playstation

playstation 2

gameboy

gameboy advance

and of course, the PC computer since the early 90's....

Now my interests are a bit more into the military type of games, first person shooters, and also strategy games, but i do love a good Mortal Kombat match...

Now a lot of you parents need to understand one thing about consoles in particular... they are usually good for no more than 3 years MAXIMUM... so what i do is, i find out when a new system is coming out, sell my old ones around 8-12 months before then, and use that money to buy the new ones when they come out... its a very sound strategy, especially with ebay.... so keep that in mind if youd like to save some money... sell EARLY to get the new stuff at release for the kiddies.... youd be amazed how many of your co-workers would buy them for their kids.... just a thought for you all with kids... im still nice and single...lol

we have 2 ps2's we love them we play almost everyday. especially since we got the eye toy, that thing is fun. i'd stay away from the new pstwo though for a while. it's bound to have some glitches. we got our first ps2 right when they came out and it won't play blue discs and sometimes games will freeze up so we got a new one in june and it works perfectly. it seems like new systems always have some bugs that need to be worked out. good luck with whatever you end up getting. :)

Gamecube is more for kids. Teenage to Adult I would suggest X-Box or PS2. Last year I got my hubby a Gamecube cause it was real cheap at Walmart. Big mistake. He plays it some & has a few games he really likes but now all the good games are for X-Box or PS2. So this year he is getting a PS2. I really dont have the money to buy it like last year but given I spend most of the time on the puter he needs some form of entertainment.

Last night I was at Walmarts site & they have games 2 for 20.00 so I bought him 2. :) He is gonna be very happy this year. :)

We have all three, xbox, gamecube and ps2. I have 2 girls and they play the ps2 or gamecube and my husband plays the xbox. It really does depend on the type of games you like to play. I would suggest if you have alot of ps1 games to get the ps2 since they can play those on there as well.

As for Mortal Kombat Deception for xbox. I just got a great deal on Ebay you might want to check it out. I got the game brand new never used and strategy guide for 25.00 plus I think about 7.00 for shipping. $32.00 shipped you cannot beat that deal.

Lisa