Netflix or Blockbuster Membership for Xmas gift?

tokanm

I was trying to figure out what to get my Dad (83) and his wife

for Christmas. I am thinking about buying a membership/subscription

from either Netflix or BB. Has anybody ever done this and if yes how

did it work out? They live in Venice, Florida and I think having the

movies delivered to them would be easy and they do have internet

so they can browse and order.

I got this idea as my Dad told me last night that they just had a

home cinema system installed in their house (big tv, surround sound etc)

Does anyone else find it so hard to buy for your parents:confused:

thanks

I had Netflix but I canceled just cuz I wasnt using it enough but I liked it alot, will start it back up when DH returns from Iraq. My Mom has BB and she loves it cuz her package includes being able to rent from the store if she wants to. Not sure how it works but it sounds nifty. Either one I think is a really good gift idea :)

I have had both Netflix and Blockbuster. I prefer Netflix. I am am personally anti-blockbuster due to some sleazy tactics I have encountered with several of their stores over the years. I know from experience Netflix will slow down your service if you rent "too many, too quickly" Too a good extent I can understand that. If someone is watching 3 movies a day on their plan Netflix will start losing money. I have had good customer service with Netflix. Once I never received a movie. I reported it and got not hassle. Blockbuster tried charging me 49.99 for a movie that never showed up. I had to fight them tooth and nail to get it taken off my card. I ended up having to dispute it.

I have been with Netflix for over a year now and just LOVE it. Last year once the weather got frigid, I loved NOT having to load everyone up in the car to head out to the video store. The movies come soooooooooooo fast. It's easy to use and I haven't had to wait for movies. I have even thought maybe that we'd give this as a gift to my folks this year. So, my vote is for netflix.

I have blockbuster and a good friend has netflix. His turn around time is actually faster than mine. I will also say that netflix has a much better laid out system for selecting the movies online. Many times blockbuster will have a new release available but it will not show up in tthe new release section to browse. The only way to find the newest movies sometimes is to know the actuall date they come out and then type the name in the search bar to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a member of Netflix since Nov 2002 - I've watched it grow!

They are just absolutely awesome. I live in Miami, FL and our turnaround time is 2-3 days.

Blockbuster lost my interest -- I was so tired of them never having new releases in stock, arguing with me over late fees, long lines BEHIND people complaining about late fees, and of course, the argument with DH about who is going to return the movie BEFORE noon (so wierd), etc. Buh-bye Blockbuster!

Go for Netflix!

I liked netflix at the beginging when we would get movies movies back in 3 days but after a few months it was taking them 5-7 days so we cancled. I understand that is you send movies back quickly you becaome less of a priority. Might work well as a gift for someone who is a more casual movie watcher