Favorite Holiday recipes?

abentley

I've made this for about 15 years now for thanksgiving. Last year I made 6 batches.

Pumpkin Bread:

3 cups Sugar

3 1/2 cups Flour

2 tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Nutmeg

1 tsp. Cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

1 cup Oil

2/3 cup Water

4 eggs

1 29 oz can (About 3 ½ cups) canned pumpkin

2 cups chocolate chips

3/4 chopped walnuts

Make a well and place remaining ingredients in well.

Mix and place in three well-greased loaf pans.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.

My mom and I make this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Some of my most cherished memories are making this and fudge with my mom. I'm looking forward to having my kids help both of us this year.

Divinity

2 2/3 cups sugar

2/3 cup light corn syrup

1/2 cup water

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla

2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts

1. Cook sugar, corn syrup and water (use 1 tablespoon less water on humid days) in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 260ºF on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball that holds its shape but is pliable.

2. Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. (For best results, use electric stand mixer, not a portable handheld mixer since beating time is about 10 minutes and mixture is thick.) Add vanilla. Beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. (Mixture may become too stiff for mixer.) Gently stir in nuts.

3. Drop mixture from buttered spoon onto waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature at least 12 hours, turning candies over once, until candies feel firm. Store in airtight container.

I wish I could make divinity! Maybe I need to try it again. In the past I have not been able to make candy or pies no clue why. I can make homemade alfredo sauce from scratch to me if I could make that I should be able to make candy right? lol

BTW I have been looking for a recipe forever and have never been able to find it even googling it. My mom always called it 4 layer delight. I remember it having some kind of nuts and graham crackers and then cool whip and pastacio sp pudding.

I wish I could make divinity! Maybe I need to try it again. In the past I have not been able to make candy or pies no clue why. I can make homemade alfredo sauce from scratch to me if I could make that I should be able to make candy right? lol

BTW I have been looking for a recipe forever and have never been able to find it even googling it. My mom always called it 4 layer delight. I remember it having some kind of nuts and graham crackers and then cool whip and pastacio sp pudding.

QUICK PINEAPPLE DELIGHT

1 lg. size pre-pared graham cracker crust

3 oz. size instant pistachio pudding

20 oz. can crushed pineapple (natural juice)

8 oz. container Cool Whip ("light" is best)

Drain a very small amount of juice from the pineapple. Add to pudding in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Fold in Cool Whip. Put in graham cracker crust and top with slivered almonds, if desired. Cool in refrigerator about 3 hours before serving.

6 LAYER DESSERT

1 1/2 sticks butter, melted

1 1/2 pkgs. graham crackers

1 1/2 pkgs. cream cheese

1/2 c. sugar

1 lg. carton Cool Whip

2 sm. boxes pistachio instant pudding

1 can crushed pineapple

Nuts (as desired)

Melt butter, crush graham crackers. Mix butter, sugar and graham crackers. Use this as the crust. Pat in 9 x 12 inch glass dish. Put in freezer a few minutes to get real cold.

Whip cream cheese and 1/2 Cool Whip. This is the second layer. Third layer of nuts. Fourth - mix 2 packages pudding with 2 1/2 cups milk. Fifth - Add crushed pineapple, drained. Sixth - Add remaining Cool Whip. Top with nuts.

I've made this for about 15 years now for thanksgiving. Last year I made 6 batches.

Pumpkin Bread:

3 cups Sugar

3 1/2 cups Flour

2 tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Nutmeg

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 cup Oil

2/3 cup Water

4 eggs

2 cups chocolate chips

3/4 chopped walnuts

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.

I have never made bread before but this sounds so good! What do you mean by make a well?

QUICK PINEAPPLE DELIGHT

Whip cream cheese and 1/2 Cool Whip. This is the second layer. Third layer of nuts. Fourth - mix 2 packages pudding with 2 1/2 cups milk. Fifth - Add crushed pineapple, drained. Sixth - Add remaining Cool Whip. Top with nuts.

Cool thanks. That is what it is they deleted the pineapples ... which makes sense because my god mother hated them lol.

OK, here goes then.

I like to have the sauce ready to go, and will pour it over the brie to serve as soon as the first guest arrives. We'll munch on this for several hours while guests arrive, the guys watch football or toss a ball around outside, and the women chat with me while I finish up in the kitchen.

So fun!

Brie with Hot Pecan Caramel Sauce

1 5 inch wheel brie cheese

1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup pecan halves

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 Tbsp unsalted butter

1 baguette -- sliced thin

Warm a sharp slicing knife in very hot tap water and carefully cut the top rind off the brie wheel. As a slicing guide, you can insert skewers into the cheese just below the rind. Let the knife blade rest on the skewers as you slice off the rind.

In a sauce pot combine the sugar and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half and sauce is dark brown. Remove from heat and add the pecans and cream. Stir well. Return mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about another 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter.

Place the brie on a large plate. While it is still hot, pour the caramel and pecan mixture evenly over the brie, letting some of the caramel run over the sides of the cheese. Surround the finished brie with baguette slices and serve.

NOTES : A brie wheel covered with a hot pecan caramel sauce looks lavish, tastes great and yet is simple to do. You can prepare the caramel several days in advance. On the day of your party, let the cheese warm to room temperature, reheat the sauce, and pour it on just as guests arrive. Baguette slices or whole-grain crackers make this appetizer complete.

My Mom used to make her "snowball cake" for our Christmas Eve

open house every year. She has been gone for many years now and

I would love to have this recipe.

I remember it was made in a large mixing bowl and I believe it had

lemon flavor in it, you then tipped the bowl upside down onto a tray

and it was covered in maybe dream whip? It did not have coconut

and it was very moist almost wet cake. It was very yummy!

Does anybody else have Snowball Cake recipe, it would bring back some

great holiday memories:holiday14

corn casserole from Paula Deen:

1 can cream corn

1 can reg corn drained

1 stick of butter

1 Cup sour cream

1 box jiffy corn mix

Spray 8x8 casserole dish.Preheat oven 350. mix everything together and pour into dish. Cook uncovered for 50-60 minutes until it comes out dry when you stick a fork in it. This is great if you double it. It is sooooooooo YUMMY!

Another corn cassorole

I have to make this any time there are holiday's say's my husband

1 can cream corn

1 can corn,

1 5 oz mushrooms

1/4 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon onion salt

1 cup swiss cheese

1 3 oz cream cheese

On the stove on med heat put the cream corn flour and cream cheese onion salt together to blended

add mushrooms, corn and swiss cheese then turn mixture into a cassorole dish and top with bread crumb and place in oven at 350 for 35-40 minutes until heated through out.

I have a recipe for corn pudding I received from a poster on AOL that I think is absolutely wonderful. However, the cook she got it from made her promise to not ever have it published anywhere. She has given me permission to share it via email, so I would be happy to send it to anyone who requests it, under the same condition.

A poster on AOL received it and did post it on to a board, but I feel that still doesn't release me from my promise. So, LMK if you would like it sent to you.

I FOUND THE SNOWBALL CAKE RECIPE!!!!

I wish I knew how to link something but I am hopelessly lost

in using the computer. Anyways I googled it and lo and behold

there it was. I can now make my Moms recipe for my family for

Christmas this year. There were several recipes for Snowball cake

but now I remember that it has already made angel cake in it and

jello water and it is no bake. It is absolutely delicious:giggle:

OK, here goes then.

I like to have the sauce ready to go, and will pour it over the brie to serve as soon as the first guest arrives. We'll munch on this for several hours while guests arrive, the guys watch football or toss a ball around outside, and the women chat with me while I finish up in the kitchen.

So fun!

Brie with Hot Pecan Caramel Sauce

1 5 inch wheel brie cheese

1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup pecan halves

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 Tbsp unsalted butter

1 baguette -- sliced thin

Warm a sharp slicing knife in very hot tap water and carefully cut the top rind off the brie wheel. As a slicing guide, you can insert skewers into the cheese just below the rind. Let the knife blade rest on the skewers as you slice off the rind.

In a sauce pot combine the sugar and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half and sauce is dark brown. Remove from heat and add the pecans and cream. Stir well. Return mixture to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about another 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter.

Place the brie on a large plate. While it is still hot, pour the caramel and pecan mixture evenly over the brie, letting some of the caramel run over the sides of the cheese. Surround the finished brie with baguette slices and serve.

NOTES : A brie wheel covered with a hot pecan caramel sauce looks lavish, tastes great and yet is simple to do. You can prepare the caramel several days in advance. On the day of your party, let the cheese warm to room temperature, reheat the sauce, and pour it on just as guests arrive. Baguette slices or whole-grain crackers make this appetizer complete.

I'm not much of a Brie person, but this is really good. I had it last year at an appitizer party.

Here is one of our Favorite recipes that is a must have.

Marshmallow Mud Squares

For the cake:

2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

4 eggs

3 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1/3 cup cocoa

1/3 teaspoon salt

1 (6 1/2-ounce) bag mini marshmallows

For the frosting:

2 sticks butter, room temperature

1/2 cup cocoa

1 box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup evaporated milk

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and shortening together. Add eggs and vanilla and beats 30 seconds. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa and salt together. Add to the mixture and beat until well combined. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 9 by13-inch pan. Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.

Remove pan from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Spread the marshmallows on top of the cake and return the pan to the oven for 5 more minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Evenly apply the frosting. Allow this to stand about 2 hours before cutting into squares.

Note: If the marshmallows are too hot, the frosting will sink right through. The frosting should be the top layer. It will darken once it hits the heat of the cake.

To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla. Slowly add the milk.

It's the happiest time at the old North Pole

The chimney's all smoking and covered with snow.

There's a secret up there...one that abounds

On old Santa's favorite grounds.

It seems Mrs. Claus baking brownies one day

Got the recipe wrong. One elf in fun play

Threw them outside. Put a sign on that read...

"Reindeer Poop Brownies!" and what happened next

Will blow the hat off your head!

Now here comes the story...get a chuckle or two

Of the man who fell into Reindeer Poop Goo!

This is his story...

"It was right after Christmas

I thought I would go...

Up to the Pole

To walk in the snow...

But when I arrived...

I found the ground was all brown

With snow scattered patches

On my face was a frown.

Soon - not long after

My nose found the smell

Which surprised me somewhat,

For it smelled...

Oooh! My! Well!

Getting down on my knees

I took a good whiff

Then I stuck in my finger

And good gosh and good jiff!

I gave it a lick

Stuck some close to my nose

Closed my eyes. It was not

What I would have supposed.

It was soft - it was gooey

It rolled on my tongue

As it slid down my throat

I truly felt young!

It was poop so delicious

And tasting so grand...

I filled my mouth full!

I was King of the Land.

With a loud belly laugh

I rolled on the ground

I could hardly believe

The riches I'd found.

Miles of poop droppings

As wide as the sea.

And it all smelled and tasted

Like a chocolate brown-eee!

Quickly, I started

To pack up my sack

With the poop when I felt

A large slap on my back!"

"Whatcha doin' young fella?"

Santa asked with a grin.

I could see reindeer poop

Sliding down on his chin.

"What I'm doing is enjoying

This stuff is swell!

I'm wondering, sir

Are you willing to sell?"

Old Santa chuckled

And smiled with delight

"Well son, it may be

What you propose is just right."

We went to his office

We talked through the night

We discussed how poop royalties

Might help Santa's plight.

"Mrs. Claus is unhappy.

She's says I'm too fat

I've got to stop eating

Reindeer poop. And that's that!"

The elves love it too

They eat it all night

And I can't get work done

When they "Reindeer Poop Fight!"

"And there's something else, son

The Pole needs fixing too...

So if you're really serious...

Here's what we'll do."

And there on the spot

We worked out a deal.

I got the world rights

For the poop! What a steal!

Taking a puff from his pipe

And nodding his head

Santa smiled broadly

While the papers I read...

As we both signed our names

Mrs. Claus and the elves

Came in to watch - smiling

In spite of themselves.

For they knew they would miss

that chocolate-y smell

Of the reindeer poop brownies

They had all loved so well.

Then the transfer was done.

Reindeer poop was all mine.

Santa grinned broadly.

And I really felt fine.

I packed up my sack

and brought it back home

For you all to enjoy...

Reindeer Poop...

Nice and Warm!

Santa is pleased.

Mrs. Claus too...

For they can now share

Reindeer 'brownies' with you!

Now you know the secret!

And you'd better not tell!

That poop isn't poop...

It's brownies...they're swell!

Bring smiles to the faces

Of your friends with a scoop...

Of reindeer poop brownies!

Hey! That's brownies! Not poop!

Dry Ingredients

3 cups oats (quaker oats)

6 tablespoons cocoa powder

3 1/2 ounces flaked coconut

Liquid Ingredients

1/4 lb butter (not margerine)

2 cups white sugar

1/2 cup milk (not skim milk)

Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir together well.

In a large pot, bring the liquid to a boil.

Then take off the stove and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

Pour the liquid ingredients INTO the DRY ingredients and mix well until everything is wet.

Use a teaspoon to spoon the cookies onto waxed paper.

Let them cool and they will harden somewhat, that's it!

makes 36 poops

Pumpkin Bread:

3 cups Sugar

3 1/2 cups Flour

2 tsp. Baking Soda

1/2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Nutmeg

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 cup Oil

2/3 cup Water

4 eggs

2 cups chocolate chips

3/4 chopped walnuts

I love to bake pumpkin bread in a jar(pint sz canning jar) and hand it out to my neighbors for Christmas presents. It's always such a big hit. Thanks for the recipe I'll have to try this.