Best Buy Question

bargainaholic

I am planning to hopefully purchase a new computer from Best Buy. If BB opens at 6 what time do you think I need to get there to get one? Also, do they give tickets while waiting in line so that you are guaranteed to get one? I am also going to try to get the JVC camcorder - do they give tickets for that too or will I need my sneakers for that one?

Only one more week to go!!! :clapping:

Our BB opens at 6am and we have always gone to KB, been in and out in 5 minutes, gone straight to BB and been able to get what we needed, I got a Sony Vaio 2 yrs ago. (We're in line a little after 5 so we're about an hour early) if it's something that they only have a few of I would go at 4:30. There is always going to be someone there that has camped out but generally you can still get what you want. In my experience they have given tickets for every expensive item that they list there is only x amount available at the store. They just walk the line and ask everyone in order if you are there for that item, if so you get a ticket, if not they go on down the line til they run out of tickets. So you probably will need a ticket for both.

Best Buy opens at 6 am and you should get there by 3. I don't think anyone knows which items they will give away the forms for ahead of time. Last year they gave them away for the computers and the tvs and I'm not sure what else because that's what we were there for. It was nice to know that you didn't have to wait until you got in the store to know if you were going to get the things you wanted. I'm hoping to snag a good deal on a laptop for my daughter that's going away to college next fall.

Lisa

They usually give away the numbers for the big ticket things. Last year they were giving away numbers for computers, camcorders, a phone that was on sale, and some others. If you want these items, I'd get there the earlier the better. I was there an hour early and was lucky to get the laptop, as they only had 89 of them.

I have bought a computer there the last two years and I am planning on buying another one this year. I usually plan on being there by 2:00 because I really like being in the front of the pack. The BB I go to gives out tickets for quite a few things so you will probably get a ticket for both items. The bad thing is that even once you get into that door you will still have long lines to deal with. I zoom in as fast as I can to get in that computer line fast because it gets really long and it is slow. It is a really good idea to take someone with you to go get the camcorder and then go get into the checkout line. At my BB I always get to pay for the computer right at pick up so I do not have to go to the check out lanes for that. With luck by the time you pay for your computer the person you sent for the camcorder should be done too. If you go by yourself you would still get the camcorder after getting the computer because you have a ticket but the checkout line could be incredibly long.

Lol... when I look back and read my post it almost seems incoherant (sp?) I think it is the excitement of BF being so close now :2wiggle:

What I'm interested to see will be how they do the "gift card" advertising this year. Anybody know yet?

Here in Ohio, last year's new technique got them spanked by the state attorney general. I don't know if they'll change their technique this year, or just alter the ad copy to comply.

For those who don't know:

A couple years ago, they advertised great BF prices, and listed their "after rebate" prices in the ad. Last year, not only were the prices not so great, they were "after gift card" prices. Which meant you spent $1200 on product X, then got a $200 Best Buy gift card instead of a rebate. You still had to spend the $1200, but you got $1400 worth of stuff instead. That's all perfectly ethical, if not a spectacular deal.

The problem with the law came from advertising the above example as "Only $1000 after gift card savings!" which is some pretty shady math.

I notice Circuit City is doing some "after gift card" deals right now; I'm hoping it's not the wave of the future.

--Mark

Speaking of Best Buy, does anyone know what the "before rebate" prices are on some of those sale items? I've seen a lot of "after rebate" prices but I'd like to know how much I'm expected to shell out up front for those things. Specifically, that $30 MP3 player...it's a better model than the $30 Radio Shack will have, but it's an "after rebate" price and I think it goes for about $100 normally. Does Best Buy tend to put their things on sale, then have additional rebate savings, or will they charge the full $100 for it and you have to wait a few months to get that $70 back?

Here in Ohio, last year's new technique got them spanked by the state attorney general. I don't know if they'll change their technique this year, or just alter the ad copy to comply.

--Mark

They didn't get spanked hard enough, :2bat: yet. :2bat: :) Isn't that still an open matter though?

I believe the Feds :cop: are after them as well.

They like to talk about how "demon" and "devil" customers allegedly hurt them by demanding that BB follow its own rules and the law :shock: , yet how do they treat their customers? :sleazy: We need a 2faced smilie!!

What I'm interested to see will be how they do the "gift card" advertising this year. Anybody know yet?

For those who don't know:

A couple years ago, they advertised great BF prices, and listed their "after rebate" prices in the ad. Last year, not only were the prices not so great, they were "after gift card" prices. Which meant you spent $1200 on product X, then got a $200 Best Buy gift card instead of a rebate. You still had to spend the $1200, but you got $1400 worth of stuff instead. That's all perfectly ethical, if not a spectacular deal.

The problem with the law came from advertising the above example as "Only $1000 after gift card savings!" which is some pretty shady math.

I notice Circuit City is doing some "after gift card" deals right now; I'm hoping it's not the wave of the future.

--Mark

I've just got to post this story, and I hope Mark doesn't mind. I just registered with these forums on Saturday and he registered on Friday. That's just the beginning of the similarities, though.

I saw Mark's post and had to do a double-take because I thought for a minute that it was me. First off, as you can tell, we are both named Mark. Also, I end all of my posts with "--Mark--" and realized he signed with "--Mark". I am also very much a music person (and I took a stab that he was too). Plus, we are both kind of into the same sport's team (he seems like a fan, and I just slimly follow it). Also, it turns out we are both from Columbus, Ohio and we are possibly going to help each other out on Black Friday.

Quite a story, isn't it?

--Mark--

Well I know that the $499 laptop will be $899 before the rebates, so be prepared to spend that.

Also, at the Best Buy I worked at every department had tickets for their best items. For example in wireless we had a $20 prepaid cell phone last year (this year there's a free one) as well as a cheap PDA.

What happens is before opening a person from each department goes outside and goes to the line in order pre-selling the items. They do this for every item that is likley to sell out - i.e. Laptop, Desktop, Free Items, Super Cheap Items like Plasmas, etc. If they don't have a ticket for it that means they don't expect it to sell out too quickly.

The reasoning behind the ticketing is simply to prevent a mad dash for a certain section of the store that would likley result in looting. Can you imagine 100 cheap laptops on one shelf? There'd be casualties.

As far as getting in line... well this depends on your local Best Buy. At my Best Buy I got to work at 5:40-ish for my 6 AM shift and my dad and brother dropped me off and promptly got in line. They were about the 20th people in line and were able to get everything they wanted in tickets (laptop, desktop, dvd burner, and some other stuff that I forget). So That's 20 mins before opening and comfortable line.

I have heard of stores where getting in line an hour before opening was needed. I also know someone who went to a Best Buy early, they were sold out of the laptop, and proceeded to go to another far suburban Best Buy and were able to buy the $499 laptop as late as 11 AM - that's 5 hours after opening - and this was because several ticket holders did not claim it by the minimum time and they were in a seperate line to be next in case this happened.

That however is a lucky break, so don't count on showing up at noon and getting the goodie items.

If you have no clue what so ever what the traffic is going to be like in your area, I'd say show up at like 5:15-5:20ish. That's probably the safest balance between showing up and being somewhere near the beginning of the line so you can still get some of the goodies on tickets and being too early.

Last thing you wanna do is freeze your genitals off standing in the cold for 3 or 4 hours BY YOURSELF. Then again, it all depends on how badly you want that sale lol.

Conscript, what laid-back country do you live in? The BBs around me all had hundreds of people in line well before the clocks struck 5. If you're not in line by 4, you'd better give up the hope of getting any of the super hot goodies. You're hell of a lucky chap!

Conscript, what laid-back country do you live in? The BBs around me all had hundreds of people in line well before the clocks struck 5. If you're not in line by 4, you'd better give up the hope of getting any of the super hot goodies. You're hell of a lucky chap!

Same here but I think it depends on where you live and how popular BB is on BF.

If you're not in line by 3:30 AM you might as well give up.

Thanks for the update Conscript!! :yelclap: I hate rebates, so having some idea of the amounts helps me decide what time to wake up & trudge out. :yawn: :)

I don't know why I would want a prepaid phone, but if it's free, I'll look! free is free! :dazzler::banana: would you happen to know what the catch is on that one? big rebate or something I presume??

My kids both have prepaid cell phones--if you have teen or preteen on your list that doesn't already have one then they will love you forever if you get them one for christmas LOL

From what I saw this afternoon - it has a $40 MIR:yuck: Not free enough for something I don't really want or need! :2wiggle: