a thought on the new sub thread: Requests, Trading & Stuff to Give Away

conj

I'll apologize now, as it has been a long day, and I can't even attempt to think of a tactful way to say the following:2stickpok :

I wonder how many things are not seen by the average user by segregating it to this sub thread? I like the idea in general... but... here is how *I* gotta-deal:

*I go to the forums page.

*I check my user CP to see if the threads I am watching have had activity. I check the new posts to see what is interesting

*I go enter contests.

I know other people GD differently, but *I* don't even think to check the other sections unless it pops up in new posts, or I am actively looking for something. I wonder how many other people are the same way.

I know in the past, when I posted (on the off-topic section) I had a free code or something to give away it got responses. When looking at the items in this sub thread there are few reads, and even fewer responses....

Maybe this is something that can be improved, but it will not work if it does not get traffic.

Ok, I am off to get some caffeine now.

conj,

Your points have been heard. Some responses:

* These threads will show up in the New Posts, unless you've excluded the forums from your New Posts results (see User CP -> Edit Options)

* The decision to create this subforum was done for a number of reasons. These include, but are not limited to, the following: 1) Often, these types of posts did not clearly fit in any of the existing forums; 2) Non-GD members frequently swooped in to take what members were trying to offer each other; 3) We were having increasing problems with some of the referral programs, especially with non- or brand new members.

* The decrease in use for some of these is unfortunate, as is any added inconvenience to members. However, as most here know, this site is a deals site, and a business. Most of the new subforums, and the Lounge, are included as a service to members but do not necessarily generate income. As such, when some part of them becomes a problem for the admins and mods or site overall, steps have to be taken to reduce those issues.

Hope this helps :)

This thread has been moved from the "Discuss GottaDeal" forum as it deals with a semi-private forum and that forum is open to everyone, lurkers included. We try to keep the existence of this and the other semi-private boards hidden until members meet the requirements for access, just so we don't have people posting a bunch of times just to get access.

points taken... I'll have to give it some more thought.... I thought it was a wonderful idea... and then I started to think about it.... maybe if I think some more it will be wonderful again! :)

You are right, it is a business. I appreciate the community within it, but I understand that is not the primary goal.