I'm Not Buying a Desktop This Year

len_mullen

Nevermind.  Price of the linked desktop just popped to 1999.99.  Congratulations if you got one.

I was planning to buy a desktop computer this year.  I joined Costco expecting to get a good deal there.  While I was waiting for the deals, someone gave me a Coolermaster RC-690 case.  It's a roomy case with ten drive bays, so I started looking for a suitable system board.  Old friend Newegg bundled an ASRock Z690 Pro, an Intel Core i7-12700KF CPU, and 16GB (2 x 8GB) of G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series RAM for for $349.99.  I purchased a Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler for $89.95, 16GB more G.SKILL RAM for $37.99, and a SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive for $203.  I added a Corsair HX750W 750-Watt PSU, an AMD Radeon RX 480, and a DVD writer from stock.  Besides the SSD boot disk, I have three 3TB DVR disks installed.  I'll be bringing over a pair of 6T disks and another 3TB DVR disk once I retire my current desktop.  So, I have nearly $700 into this rig and I still need to buy a graphics card.

I haven't stopped paying attention to the Desktop deals.  For most, ten drive bays are not essential.  You just need enough RAM, CPU, and fast storage to get your job done.  So, when buying a computer, make a list of the things you want it to do, choose the software you want to use to do those things, and use the softwares' requirements to spec your machine.  My desktop is a workhorse.  I run office apps, create database applications, edit videos, and play games.  I also tend to keep my computers a long time -- usually a decade -- so I need a rig that is upgradable.  Most people just want something they can play games, surf the web, stream videos, and compose email on.  For most people this is a solid desktop...

RAM: 16GB

CPU: 12/13 gen i5/i7

GPU: RTX 4060 Ti, RTX 3070, RX 6700 XT (See this chart for comparison of a LOT of GPUs)

Storage: OS 1-4TB SSD, Storage Data 2-4TB spinning disk

Last year, I paid $1,149.99 for this on 11/19.  It was $350 higher on Black Friday.  It's the same $1499.99 today.  The $139.99 WD - BLACK Gaming 8TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops I added is now $179.99.  So, not a great year for buying a desktop computer.

This is the only BF desktop I would consider...

$999 Walmart ASUS ROG Strix GT15 Gaming Desktop, Intel Core i7-12700F, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Windows 11, G15CF-WB786

The video card in this computer is worth around $700.

Edited by len_mullen
more information

I really don't see the need for a desktop anymore unless it was a very high end gaming desktop with all of the bells and whistles with lights, fans, and enough power consumption to shut down a nuclear reactor.

If this is not meant for gaming, consider a decent specced laptop and a USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 docking station.

I'm considering building a high end desktop right now as a father/son project. But never would buy this prebuilt.

Mine is capable of playing games.  I use it to stream video at bedtime.  It has 40TB of storage for the collection of movies and tv shows I have legally downloaded from broadcast television.  It runs my home automation.  It stores my records, manages my budget, and does my taxes.  It backs up all my other computers.  It is my all day long computer (web, email, etc.).  I could do a lot of this on a laptop,  but most of it not as well.  I definitely could not do it on a laptop that cost as much as my desktop.

• Like 1

I'm a die hard desk topper, lol. I used to work for a municipality and helped supervise IT. I  learned a lot and built my last 2 computers myself. I too tend to build with the highest specs I can afford and keep for about 10 years. I have been retired for some years now so I  don't feel comfortable building myself, but I  am going to have one custom built with the specs I want. I am going to set up 3 monitors. I can't wait.  I  don't even game,  lol. Lots of calculations,  spreadsheets, document design, of course bill paying, taxes, household use, etc. I  just prefer a desktop. I'm also a little geeky, going for minimum 32GB ram this time. Also, doing it while hitting the best deals, cash back,  etc. I  bought a laptop some time ago, rarely even use it. Once in a blue moon when I  am sick and can't get out of bed I remote in to my desktop, lol.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, mgreen said:

I'm a die hard desk topper...built my last 2 computers myself...I  don't feel comfortable building myself...going to have one custom built...I am going to set up 3 monitors.

Hard to save money building a PC right now -- especially if you do not game.  Newegg has a very decent machine for $829...

• Skytech Chronos Gaming PC Desktop INTEL Core i5 12400F 2.5 GHz, NVIDIA RTX 4060, 1TB NVME SSD, 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200, 650W GOLD PSU, 11AC Wi-Fi, Windows 11 Home 64-bit

There are two empty slots for another 16GB of RAM.

Unless you already have the three monitors, consider a really wide screen.  Many will let you look at two computers at the same time.

The thing I have noticed about building is that everything is a little bit smaller.  I miss my 20/20.