I'm Not Buying a TV This Year

len_mullen

There are only two of us and we have eleven flat screens.  I passed on 3D and I am very satisfied with the quality and size of the televisions I have.  I have been buying HDTVs since 2008 and have only had one fail.  TCL sent a guy to my home to repair the television and it is still going strong.  If I were shopping for a television...

I would be paying attention to size.  Sorry guys -- size does matter.  Relax, though, bigger is not always better.  When I shop for a TV for a particular application, I like to cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the screen I think I need, place it where the TV will be, sit where I watch television, and see what I think of the size.  Sounds silly, but a salesman at sears once told me that the most common reason for the return of a television was that it was too big for the room.  If you don't trust yourself, here is some professional advice...

tv-size-viewing-distance.png

That said, my youngest (26) sits about two feet away from a 55" set when he plays Call of Duty on his Xbox.

Viewing angle matters too.  For this I highly recommend a visit to the retailer.  Stand relative to the demo set where you would sit in your home.  Here is a good article on viewing angles.

Performance for a TV is how well the television programming you want to watch on a TV looks and sounds.  If you watch sports, visit the store when a hockey game is on.  See if they can tune it in for you.  Or record a game and ask the salesman to play your file.  If you are noticing lag or pixelization, you will not love the television.  Here is a pretty good article on sports viewing that includes viewing angles for 113 televisions.

I don't get too excited about the 'smartness' of my televisions, but, if you have an antenna on your roof or in your attic, TCL's Roku TVs are outstanding.  They build a grid style program guide using data in the RF stream, so there is no need for any kind of service or even an internet connection.  Plug in a 16GB thumb drive and you have a 90 minute buffer so you can pause, rewind, and fast forward through programming. I have and love four of the 55" 4K sets.  All of my Roku TVs have a FireTV Stick attached.  My FireTV has a Roku attached.  

Here are some televisions I would consider...

$99 Walmart onn. 43” Class FHD (1080P) LED Roku Smart TV (100133209)

$188 Walmart TCL 55" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV - 55S41R

$228 Walmart TCL 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV - 65S41R

$348 Walmart TCL 65” Class S Class 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV with Google TV, 65S450G -- $2 more at Best Buy

$579.99 Best Buy Samsung - 75" Class TU690T Crystal UHD 4K Smart Tizen TV

$648 Walmart Hisense 75" Class U6 Series Mini-LED ULED 4K UHD Google Smart TV (75U6K, 2023 Model) -- $2 more at Best Buy

$899.99 Best Buy LG - 86” Class UR7800 Series LED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV

Happy Shopping!

• Like 2