Holiday Decorations

Kanyon71

Has anyone started decorating for Christmas yet? We haven’t (starts on Black Friday for us) but I’ve been noticing that more and more people around us have started putting up their lights and decorations outside already. In part I wonder if it’s because the weather has still

been nice around here. 

How does everyone decorate? We usually have multiple trees and lots of decorations inside and outside we have multiple inflatables, a decent amount of lights and various other decorations such as bows on all the house lights (we have smart led bulbs in the lights so they get turned red and green also) and my wife dresses some of our bushes with giant Santa hats and such).

We have already put up 80% of the inside decorations, lol. We decorate for Halloween so we decided to just take those down and put up all the Christmas decor. The only thing we are waiting on is our main Christmas tree because our daughter is away at college and she wants to help put it up like we have done in years past. What is funny though - in years past I have asked the kids to decorate it and they complained the whole time, lol. Now that she is away from home for the first time she realizes that she really did like doing it - or maybe she appreciates the tradition.

We have at least 8 totes that hold our inside decorations as well as wall art that we put up. We moved to the East Coast 4.5 years ago and when we did I got a tree to decorate in the nautical style. I put that up along with our main large tree. I have an obsession with nutcrackers and have at least 25 of those. We have an Angel that my husband and I bought at Big Lots our first Christmas we moved in together - 28 years ago. She doesn't light up anymore and is barely holding on by a pipe cleaner (what her arm is made with lol) but she is still hanging out even though most of our other decor tastes have evolved throughout the years. The weather has been warm so yesterday I wrapped our outside tree in lights. I haven't gotten around to the porch but it is supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow and I will be working from home so I might put up some stuff tomorrow on the porch. We don't hang lights on the house anymore - nobody wants to get on a ladder. I will put up our inflatables in the yard though.

Christmas is my jam!

• Like 1

I have decorated my bathroom, just because I had some new ideas for in there and was anxious to get it done. I also decorated my living room and dining room windows, for basically the same reason :).  I will wait until Thanksgiving weekend to do the rest though. Sorry if these pics are too big.

PhotoNov06202313919PM.thumb.jpg.7a17c64a68c43fb4981288eba446733b.jpgPhotoNov03202363110PM.thumb.jpg.c2d4784b4df7b46f81b464370de08d64.jpgPhotoNov03202362941PM.thumb.jpg.49e4d20322fbd1c92a231deb9b79ea17.jpgPhotoNov03202362853PM.thumb.jpg.24beb36a23a4b04f6f7943d0d7641958.jpgPhotoNov03202362526PM.thumb.jpg.42b4aa6e2afb28637a5e01889e56121d.jpgPhotoNov06202343631PM.thumb.jpg.f14f34baf775cf6b463cf63e993a7ad7.jpg

Edited by Bopeep
resized photos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2

Lights on the house went up this past Sunday. Usually I have them up BEFORE Halloween, I just don't turn them on until the last piece of candy is handed out on Halloween night. I love it when neighbors drive by in October and see me on the roof and scream "Already!" or "Too Soon!"

We're only about 25% done with the inside of the house. Tree will go up this week.

• Like 1

Need to buy a new tree but I'm similar to you, Kanyon. I don't start putting up decorations until Black Friday. I don't blame my fellow Michiganders for getting the stuff up early while the weather is kinder but I don't see any need to have the stuff lit up yet. Just me, though. I know some folks are all in the second it hits midnight on November 1st. I've just never been one of them, as I like to enjoy November as a month of gratitude before the rush to Christmas (and the new year) begins. 🙂 

• Like 1

I have a couple neighbors who have to start well before because they go ALL OUT. I would be one of those but I need more land for what I want to do, I want to build a walk through Santa's Village. I'm huge into Christmas and so is my wife. We actually used to keep one of our trees up all year round and just change the decorations. Some of our family used to laugh about it but the year our daughter was born they went in and redecorated it for my wife baby shower. Right now my wife just went out and put up her inflatable turkey in place of the Halloween inflatables.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nikkilugi said:

We have already put up 80% of the inside decorations, lol. We decorate for Halloween so we decided to just take those down and put up all the Christmas decor. The only thing we are waiting on is our main Christmas tree because our daughter is away at college and she wants to help put it up like we have done in years past. What is funny though - in years past I have asked the kids to decorate it and they complained the whole time, lol. Now that she is away from home for the first time she realizes that she really did like doing it - or maybe she appreciates the tradition.

We have at least 8 totes that hold our inside decorations as well as wall art that we put up. We moved to the East Coast 4.5 years ago and when we did I got a tree to decorate in the nautical style. I put that up along with our main large tree. I have an obsession with nutcrackers and have at least 25 of those. We have an Angel that my husband and I bought at Big Lots our first Christmas we moved in together - 28 years ago. She doesn't light up anymore and is barely holding on by a pipe cleaner (what her arm is made with lol) but she is still hanging out even though most of our other decor tastes have evolved throughout the years. The weather has been warm so yesterday I wrapped our outside tree in lights. I haven't gotten around to the porch but it is supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow and I will be working from home so I might put up some stuff tomorrow on the porch. We don't hang lights on the house anymore - nobody wants to get on a ladder. I will put up our inflatables in the yard though.

Christmas is my jam!

Very nice, we have some ornaments that we've had for quite a while that are always and always will be special. We have to find a small tree to put on the landing going up to our upper level this year. We have one in the basement that will get put up soon and then we will likely also have one over between our big wall by the fireplace and then we are going to do a cut your own that will be on the other side of the living room. Our last house our bedrooms where larger than this so my daughter had a tree in her room and we had a small one in our room. Ya we overdo it also lol

5 hours ago, Bopeep said:

I have decorated my bathroom, just because I had some new ideas for in there and was anxious to get it done. I also decorated my living room and dining room windows, for basically the same reason :).  I will wait until Thanksgiving weekend to do the rest though. Sorry if these pics are too big.

PhotoNov06202313919PM.thumb.jpg.7a17c64a68c43fb4981288eba446733b.jpgPhotoNov03202363110PM.thumb.jpg.c2d4784b4df7b46f81b464370de08d64.jpgPhotoNov03202362941PM.thumb.jpg.49e4d20322fbd1c92a231deb9b79ea17.jpgPhotoNov03202362853PM.thumb.jpg.24beb36a23a4b04f6f7943d0d7641958.jpgPhotoNov03202362526PM.thumb.jpg.42b4aa6e2afb28637a5e01889e56121d.jpgPhotoNov06202343631PM.thumb.jpg.f14f34baf775cf6b463cf63e993a7ad7.jpg

My wife would LOVE that shower curtain, may I ask where you got it? She is a huge fan of the old style red farm truck. That and Gnomes 🙂

5 hours ago, rwking75 said:

Lights on the house went up this past Sunday. Usually I have them up BEFORE Halloween, I just don't turn them on until the last piece of candy is handed out on Halloween night. I love it when neighbors drive by in October and see me on the roof and scream "Already!" or "Too Soon!"

We're only about 25% done with the inside of the house. Tree will go up this week.

A person in the sub division near us by where my sister lives has built in LED Smart lights built into all their roof overhangs all around the house. They change the color scheme and such for different seasons. You don't really see them most of the time and they never have to be taken down so it's pretty cool. My wife keeps saying we should do that when we build our next house.

• Like 1

I will be starting this week. I have a tree that I put up in our dinette that is all vintage ornaments, that will go up very, very soon! I will put up my village probably tomorrow. We get a real tree for our family Christmas tree so that won't go up until the 2nd week of December. I used to wait until after Thanksgiving but figured "life is short" and if I enjoy the decorations then I should put them up when I'm ready to enjoy them. I will admit that I am that person that is ready to take everything down on December 26th though. When it's over, it's over 😆

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bopeep said:

PhotoNov06202343631PM.thumb.jpg.f14f34baf775cf6b463cf63e993a7ad7.jpg

Love hanging the ornaments from the window! I might have to do that.

We have some inside up. Need to find time to put more up. WE are decorating earlier this year.

Outside we out big bulb lights, a light up palm tree, one of those wooden signs, and of course our blow molds! I also have a neat light post I want to put out. As long as we can figure out how to get them all plugged in. This is our 2nd Christmas in out new house, and we were still packed last Christmas so we have to see what we have and can do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kanyon71 said:

My wife would LOVE that shower curtain, may I ask where you got it? She is a huge fan of the old style red farm truck. That and Gnomes 🙂

I believe I got it from LTD Commodities. I just checked, and they don't have that one now but I did recently see it on Temu.