Vacuum reviews or suggestions?

I'm looking for a new upright vacuum....anyone know of a good place online for reviews, or have any suggestions? We need something that's especially good with a dog that sheds too much :-) I was looking at epinions and one of the Dysons came up tops (but it's pricey? Does a good vacuum cost $300?), but thought maybe there were some other resources on the Net somewhere. Thanks in advance!

We have the DysonDC07

We bought it @ Kohls when it was on sale and had a 30% off coupon in the circular they mail out. I think with tax it cost us just under $260.

Yes, it really is a good vacuum, but it is too large to fit under most furniture. The attachments really are easy after you know how to use them, even if the extension hose does pull the vacuum along behind you.

My neice owns a cheaper bagless vacuum(she paid just over $100) and likes it just fine, and she has 3 cats.

If you have any type of dust allergy, I wouldn't recommend a bagless vacuum though, as the dirt tends to fly around a little when emptying the container.

I just love seeing all the stuff that it sucks up.

It makes vacuuming kinda fun. <----notice I said kinda ;)

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I've been doing some more reading on the Dyson ones....it sounds like they have an "Animal" series or something that's pretty good? They also mention that their bagless system is better or something with a trigger of some sorts that minimizes dust flying around when you empty it. Heh, it sounds like a lot of marketing hype to me, though, too. I get those %20 off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, so maybe I'll look into something there. I wonder if they have a 30 day trial or something?

I get those %20 off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, so maybe I'll look into something there. I wonder if they have a 30 day trial or something?

Read the fine print -- unless they changed something the BB&B coupons exclude Dyson.

Don't get the Animal. The "turbo" attachment is absolutely worthless. If you to get one, get a basic model...

THinking about it some more....if not the Dyson, what are some other suggestions for a good vacuum that's on carpet and good to get dog hair?

And do places let you get one, try it out, and return it if you don't like it? Even for a vacuum?

And do places let you get one, try it out, and return it if you don't like it? Even for a vacuum?

I was making small talk with my plumber while he was working on our outside faucet last week. His wife did just that with a Dyson.

You might want to ask their return policy first - explain that if you aren't happy with it that you'll be bringing it back - that way there aren't any surprises.

the Dyson....when you have to empty it.....it is like a trap door basically. You push a button the base handle (vs. the wand handle) to get the canister off of the machine and then you have a finger trigger under the base handle and the door at the BOTTOM of the canister drops open on hinges and everything falls out.

I have a DC7 or 14 with just the normal attachments adn I love it. I wasn't liking the wand part until I realized that the hose can slide down it, and even unclip off, if you want it to. Up until then, I cursed the hose part because the wand tube went so far down that it would create too sharp of an angle in the hose and then the wand would be trying to suck the hose in and I would lose suction. Then, I found out that you can slide the hose all the way down to the edge of the wand and it works 100% better now.

We got a refurbished one from Big Lots and just so happened to go on a day when they were having their Friends and Family discount and anyone who ASKED for it could get 15% off additionally.

Guest Espolon
I just bought a new Eureka Altima bagless from Wal-Mart. It only cost $78 and works just as good as the expensive ones. I have someone clean my house and she uses it and says it works great.