Amazon to Save the B&Ms?

len_mullen

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/09/amazon-wants-to-use-jc-penney-stores-as-fulfillment-centers---report.html

• Amazon is in discussions with mall-owner Simon Property Group about using some closed J.C. Penney and Sears stores for Amazon fulfillment centers, The Wall Street Journal said on Sunday.
  • The Wall Street Journal said it’s unclear how many of the stores inside Simon malls are under consideration.
  • The Sears and J.C. Penney locations could give Amazon more fulfillment center space, closer to customers, where delivery drivers could come unload and pick up packages.

Might as well let non-prime customers pick up their stuff there, right?  And open a Whole Foods or Pantry next door.

• Like 1

Bellevue Square had a 365 Market in a closed JCPenney's for awhile a few years back. I loved it, but it obviously didn't make it. I don't know if the current retail climate would make such stores more successful.

Amazon is putting an Amazon Go grocery in the closed Sears auto repair building at an open air Plaza a few miles away from me. It's about a mile or so away from the Redmond home campus to Microsoft. It will be interesting to see how successful that format is here in the suburbs. I think most of the Amazon Go grocers are currently in large urban settings.

Doubt it would help anyone but Amazon and Simon. They never opened any pickup areas at their existing warehouses so I wouldn't expect anything at the malls either. Just Amazon getting some cheap locations to use until they open even more distribution centers in those areas.