New members

I know that you are actively recruiting new members and I was just wondering by looking at the member list there is almost always a 2 to 1 non member to member ratio. Have you thought about making the more active threads restricted to members only such as the freebie and online deals section to get the new recruits?

I understand from this thread that GD earns its keep by people - members or guests - using the affiliate links. So if I understand what you're suggesting, keeping guests away from the links in the posts in those sections is prolly something GD would not want to do.

That is true, which is why pretty much all deal forums are open to lurkers. The Lounge here is semi-private (around 900 people can see it) and when Black Friday comes, that entire section is going to only be available to members, which really will increase the member count.

The way I look at it, even if you make someone register to view threads, if they don't want to post, they won't post anyway, and if they want to post, they would have registered already. We have the bandwidth, etc... to allow lurkers to view things, so there is no reason to change that right now.

I understand from this thread that GD earns its keep by people - members or guests - using the affiliate links. So if I understand what you're suggesting, keeping guests away from the links in the posts in those sections is prolly something GD would not want to do.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Tasks/go12.gif

The Lounge is semi-private to prevent trolling... everything else should be "open", IMHO. If people want to participate, they'll join up. I don't think GD needs a bunch of people with a zero post count.

EDIT: That's funny, looks like Brad was posting the same thing as I was typing this! http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/LOL/Grin-Nod.gif

The Lounge here is semi-private (around 900 people can see it) {Quote by Brad}

I have heard people say this before. I don't understand it though. Who are the poeple who cannot see it? I don't remember a time I wasn't aware the lounge exisited. My memeory isn't always the best though. Can you explain semi- private? Who can't see us?

The Lounge here is semi-private (around 900 people can see it) {Quote by Brad}

I have heard people say this before. I don't understand it though. Who are the poeple who cannot see it? I don't remember a time I wasn't aware the lounge exisited. My memeory isn't always the best though. Can you explain semi- private? Who can't see us?

I remember it changed about two/three months after I joined. It went from being accessible to being listed as a semi-private forum for which I had to request access. But a PM to Brad got me in right away.