Official Black Friday TELEVISIONS Discussion Thread

Brad

Question for everyone.  I snagged the Visio 70" 4K at Sams in the one day sale Saturday.  Yesterday, I exchanged my cable box with the cable company so it was compatible.  Now, I'm looking for a good DVD player that will upscale/upconvert?? whichever it is.  From what I've read and looking at the ads I'm contiplating:

Samsung M9500

Sony UBP X700 or 800

LG UBK80 (Because of the good price at Meijer)

am I totally off in my thinking.......what would you guys suggest?

To be sure, yea, which LG TV?  The TV will have upscaling capability built in.  Sometimes the TV does it better than the BluRay player, sometimes not.  Hard to say.

If you intend on buying 4K movies from now on, then that's a good reason to buy a 4K BluRay player.  But I wouldn't buy one just for the upscaling unless I learned that a particular 4K BluRay player did a noticeably better job upscaling than the TV.

One thing I keep in mind is that Sony developed BluRay, so technically, no one should do it better.  But that's not always the way it plays out.

The Samsung seems to be quite capable and does a nice job upconverting, but it is last years model and doesn't do Dolby Vision. - https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ubd-m9500-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-review.13705

The Sony ones are supposed to have Dolby Vision support (via firmware update) and seem to be well liked on avsforum.

Looks like the LG does 3D (if you're into that), but also doesn't have Dolby Vision and may not have streaming abilities, but if you're streaming either through the TV or Roku or something else, that's probably not an issue.

• Like 1

Seeing Target has a Sharp 55" 4K HDR Roku TV for $249.99 (in-store only) in their 4-Day pre-BF sale and you get an extra 15% off if you purchase on Sunday, bringing actual price down to $212.49. Anyone happen to know what model this is? Because this is a killer deal if it's the same family as the 50" BB had on sale for $179 DB last year. I can totally pull the trigger on it.

(If no one knows, I'll head into Target tonight and have a look-see to try to find out and report back here!)

Edited by wittenlover

Seeing Target has a Sharp 55" 4K HDR Roku TV for $249.99 (in-store only) in their 4-Day pre-BF sale and you get an extra 15% off if you purchase on Sunday, bringing actual price down to $212.49. Anyone happen to know what model this is? Because this is a killer deal if it's the same family as the 50" BB had on sale for $179 DB last year. I can totally pull the trigger on it.

(If no one knows, I'll head into Target tonight and have a look-see to try to find out and report back here!)

Was just being talked about on discord: model LC-55Q7040U.

I stop by one target tonight and they didn't have any of the Sharp's out