Tri-band Wireless Router?

bribri25

Sorry to hear that. We had a husky (passed away at 14) that would get them. Got to the point where we just kept the medicated liquid from the vet and would use it to flush his ears now and then on a suggestion from the vet. Seemed to help a LOT. Wasn't fun to see him suffer with those.

still loving mine, it was worth the investment. now to just get my cable company to fix their modem lol

I'm not sure if your cable co is like some others (not knowing who your provider is) but you can sometimes supply your own cable modem and get rid of that monthly fee.  I have a Motorola Surfboard 6141 that I got off Amazon for like $45 or $50 (can't remember). I went with the 6141 as it supports higher speeds than the SB6121.

I'm not sure if your cable co is like some others (not knowing who your provider is) but you can sometimes supply your own cable modem and get rid of that monthly fee.  I have a Motorola Surfboard 6141 that I got off Amazon for like $45 or $50 (can't remember). I went with the 6141 as it supports higher speeds than the SB6121.

Great.... I have the SB6121; Got it for $72 4 years ago.  Maybe time to upgrade to the 6141, or not that big of a deal?

ya ive looked, but my cable modem also has the connection for my phone line, do any modems for purchase have that? I have Bright House If I could get all my sport channels by cutting the plug I would think about doing it, just not sure when I can afford to do that since I just spent so much for Christmas.

ya ive looked, but my cable modem also has the connection for my phone line, do any modems for purchase have that? I have Bright House If I could get all my sport channels by cutting the plug I would think about doing it, just not sure when I can afford to do that since I just spent so much for Christmas.

Yes they are out there. You can actually search for the one you have online and find them for sale. I would ask BrightHouse. I would also see if you're being charged for that rental every month.

Great.... I have the SB6121; Got it for $72 4 years ago.  Maybe time to upgrade to the 6141, or not that big of a deal?

From a lot of research and also talking to a friend of mine who went from the 6121 to the 6141 he said his connection seemed to be a lot more stable under heavier loads. By stable I mean he had less transfer speed drops and such. My thoughts are there are upgrades in it's internal processors and such which allow for better stream processing.

• 3 weeks later...

My mother's cable company provides an integrated router/modem with voip.  It's inexpensive enough to not be worth replacing.

Last time I suggested buying a cable modem, they were pretty expensive.  We did the math,my friend went for it, and a month later she lost her investment to a power surge.  Then there is the support end of things and dealing with obsolence.

My mother's cable company provides an integrated router/modem with voip.  It's inexpensive enough to not be worth replacing.

Last time I suggested buying a cable modem, they were pretty expensive.  We did the math,my friend went for it, and a month later she lost her investment to a power surge.  Then there is the support end of things and dealing with obsolence.

Support usually isn't much of an issue, cable modem isn't that expensive as long as you don't walk into BB and get it. Took me about 5 months of cable modem rental fee's for mine to pay itself off. As for the power surge yes that's a real threat but all my equipment sits on a line filtering sine wave battery backup so it's fairly isolated (ya been in IT for 25 years I'm a geek lol). As far as the router portion I've only found one cable co who's stuff I didn't consider garbage and that was Verizon FiOS. Their solution was actually pretty good equipment and when I got them the rental was free. When I went to upgrade to their newer stuff they wanted a monthly fee but the customer service rep gave me the model information for the newest one and told me I could get it on ebay very reasonable.

It's all in what you want out of your equipment and what it get's used for. Myself it was under 12 months of rental fee's from the cable co to break even so it was a good deal and I normally don't wan't/need their support people they tend to just ask me if it's plugged in lol.