sewing machine

I can't give you any advice for a reasonably price sewing machine but I am sewing on a 10 year old Viking that I payed $1500 for. I am ready to upgrade. It depends on what bells and wistles you are looking for. You can get a Brother for $100 at walmart that will just do a decent straight stitch. My suggestion is locate a couple of quilting forums that you can ask this question on and I know that you will get tons of information that will help you in finding the machine for you, then you can start looking for a low price. Send me a private message and I can help you locate some quilting forums. Wendy:cheese:

I am a beginner/intermediate sewer that just mostly does crafts and things, and my dh took me to sears and told me to pick out which ever I wanted. I ended up with a model of Singer that does 50+ stiches, and all sorts of things. It was $100 off because it had been returned, but still worked like a charm and everything was all in original packaging. Try Sears if you have one close, especially right now after xmas. They still will let you bring them back within 30 days if you get something and end up not liking it.

Wal-Mart had one in their ad last week (price prob still good) for around $68. It had all the basic stitches and no extra stuff to confuse a new seamstress. I have the model before that one and it is just fine for my simple projects and my son to learn to sew on.

If you want something fancier, check with a local sewing machine repair shop. They usually will have or at least know where you can find a good used machine at a reasonable price. Lots of sewers will trade up their machine and the used ones will work just as good. My mother had a Singer Athena 2000 machine that's at least 25 years old (or more since I can't remember when she got it) and it still works perfectly.