Question about front page links...

edubbrulez

So I was looking at the front page links for "today's" deals, and saw this:

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=10383781&adid=17662

Thought it was a pretty good deal, but then I checked out newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116620

And it's cheaper there. Granted, then don't have free shipping, but with newegg's shipping they are only $1 more. Although I've never bought from buy.com, I have bought from newegg before, and have been very happy with their service.

I guess I'm wondering if these really are "deals", or are they paid promotions of some kind?

Thanks,

Erik

I guess I'm wondering if these really are "deals", or are they paid promotions of some kind?

Yes they are "deals". Buy.com offers free shipping, coupons to new customers and possibly no tax for certain states which might give it the upper hand.

If you find a better deal you're more than welcome to post a link in the thread.

Yes they are "deals". Buy.com offers free shipping, coupons to new customers and possibly no tax for certain states which might give it the upper hand.

If you find a better deal you're more than welcome to post a link in the thread.

Thanks for your reply. So am I correct in assuming that all deals are either user posted or from the Admins?

Seems like most deals are from Amazon, Wal-Mart, and buy.com. You didn't mention if paid placement takes place. If it doesn't than who verifies that these really are deals?

I'm really not trying to stir up a fire, I'm just questioning the authenticity of some of the deals. I'm especially leery of the credit card offers and ING postings.

FWIW, the MCE 150 I can find at another online retailer for .50 cheaper (shipped) than buy.com.

Erik

In the end, this is a business, and the deals I post on the main site and posted to generate the most sales. After doing this for 2+ years, I have a very good idea of what kind of deals and from what stores will lead to the most sales, which goes into the decision of what deals to post.

You may find an item cheaper somewhere else, and in that case like RossMAN said, you can reply to the thread for that deal letting people know about it. Just make sure it is a legit retailer and you factor in all the shipping/handling/tax costs.

And the credit card and ING offers are totally legit. You'll find countless members on the forum here who have taken advantage of them in the past and can testify to their "hotness" :)