Baking cookies question

shanni

Can I mix up some cookie dough (chocolate chip) and keep it in the fridge for a couple hours? I didn't realize I used all my chips up and don't have any, and can't run to the store right now.

Just want to make sure the cookies won't come out funky from being in the fridge.

Yep, for sure. You can even freeze it if you want. Sometimes (when I'm ambitious) I make it in advance and freeze it so that I can just bake later. Last night I made 2 kinds before I blew up the hand mixer and this morning 3 more kinds after buying my new stand mixer. They're all sitting in the refrigerator because my back is killing me! Hopefully I can get back to them this afternoon.

One thing though... I have noticed that baking them cold tends to change the consistency/baking time just a little bit. I was debating whether I should bring the dough back to room temp before baking. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Yep, for sure. You can even freeze it if you want. Sometimes (when I'm ambitious) I make it in advance and freeze it so that I can just bake later. Last night I made 2 kinds before I blew up the hand mixer and this morning 3 more kinds after buying my new stand mixer. They're all sitting in the refrigerator because my back is killing me! Hopefully I can get back to them this afternoon.

One thing though... I have noticed that baking them cold tends to change the consistency/baking time just a little bit. I was debating whether I should bring the dough back to room temp before baking. Anyone have any ideas about that?

It depends on the cookie. On cookies that are supposed to sit in the frig, I wouldn't let them come to room temp. On those that you normally mix up and bake, I would let it get to room temperature or close to room temperature before baking. I know when I make cheesecakes, I get all my cold ingrediants (eggs, cream cheese, sour cream) to room temp before making them. Makes the cheesecakes lighter and fluffier.

HTH

June

I thought I had my baking done but I will be at it again tommorow. All the rest were given away either to friends or to the 2 nursing homes we visit monthly. My kids have been asking if I have the cookies ready for Christmas so I guess tomorrow I bake.

Kayakmom, did you get the Kitchen aid mixer and do you like it?

Kayakmom, did you get the Kitchen aid mixer and do you like it?

Yep, I got it and I really like it! I posted on the offline deals thread that with the extra 15% off at Kohl's, it was $161.49. It is VERY powerful. In fact, it makes that mixing part so much fun that the actual baking now seems like a big chore, lol. Too bad I couldn't find someone to share services with, hehe. I'll mix and you bake! Now there's a deal.

I did use my dough straight out of the fridge and noticed one thing. It's much easier (and less sticky) to drop it on the sheets when it's cold. As I got to later batches and it warmed, it was getting really sticky and making a mess on me.

I tried this neat recipe I found online for Amish Chocolate Chip Cookies but I made them with butterscotch chips. My hubby and sons LOVED them! I didn't feel like dragging out the shortening so I just used butter and the consistency of the cookies was really quite different. It was almost like making up a thick frosting. The cookies were very light (almost white) and looked kind of neat with the butterscotch chips in there. The recipe is here: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/334/AmishChocolateChipCookies64160.shtml . I also chose this recipe because I was getting low on brown sugar and it didn't require any (sweet hubby picked me up more, along with oatmeal, on his way home). Oh yeah, I also doubled this recipe and it made about the same amount as a batch of Toll House.

It took me over four hours just to bake the doughs that I made in about 1/2 hour-45 minutes, lol. I definitely still have to make oatmeal and oatmeal raisin. I'm not sure what else I'll have time for. I need to give out my first batch tomorrow, so those will probably just go with what I've got so far.