How do you feel about shopping on Thanksgiving?

sbwolfer

The next year, I held dinners on Saturday, and it was a move that I have never regretted. Lie around the house. Spend the night. Marvel at the new BF electronics. Eat until you can't move, just come happy and healthy is all we ask of anyone. We still find time to do Thanksgiving dinners at Best Buy from time to time. I have a Youtube (Ray McCarty)channel set up where you can view our videos. One video shows last years Thanksgiving meal on the line.

While the final nail in your Thanksgiving day coffin was not a nice one, I like this idea. I can even order a pizza or oven  one while everyone enjoys their turkey. Especially with the earlier opening times and online sales we should be home by noon Friday the latest with plenty of time to rest and then prepare meal for Saturday with a little prep work done in advance.

• Like 1

I will be out shopping Thanksgiving night. We eat between 1-2. We nap for a couple hours or so, get up, eat leftovers and go through the ads. The stores may open at 8, but we(DH and I) won't leave the house until about 9:30-10 or so. We never stand in lines to wait to go into a store, so this works well. Last year we left at 10:30 to start shopping. Got everything we wanted. We didn't experience crazy crowds. In fact, everyone was extremely pleasant and friendly.

My only annoyance is when you have earlier opening times, the mall is usually overrun by teenagers(who majority are not shopping, just hanging out). I didn't see that 4-5 years ago with the 2-4 am opening times.

• Like 1

While the final nail in your Thanksgiving day coffin was not a nice one, I like this idea. I can even order a pizza or oven  one while everyone enjoys their turkey. Especially with the earlier opening times and online sales we should be home by noon Friday the latest with plenty of time to rest and then prepare meal for Saturday with a little prep work done in advance.

I forgot, this is another reason why I like the earlier opening times. Years ago, we would be out ALL day shopping. Not spending any time with our family while visiting. With earlier times, we are completely done shopping by 8am-1pm(depending on how many stores we go to). I like having the opportunity to shop while most people are asleep, and getting home only a few hours after most people have woken up.

• Like 1

not true for McDonalds I worked there for a few years, every year they asked for volunteers to work that day, depending on how many would is if they opened at all, usually if they did it was only for breakfast

so did I. I always volunteered on Thanksgiving (but requested BF off). Regardless we were only open until like 1-2pm. It was the only day of the year that they let us purposefully make warm fries to take home in addition to whatever was left and ASKED us if we wanted to take anything home instead of vice versa.

I can still remember the joy of tucking into my big mac and small bag full of fries before everyone else showed up for their "meal"

• Like 1

There was a lady who didn't like the idea of me being out on the line all week without a thanksgiving dinner. I told her that I appreciated her concern but i would be fine. She said that on thanksgiving, her son would deliver me something, and sure enough, a couple of plates of the most delicious food arrived! Her son said that his mom has always been a person who had kept her word, and I will always remember her kindness and love of traditional values.

• Like 6

I liked the 5 AM openings better.  It was like adult Christmas.  You'd stay up all night and go get your goodies in the morning.  The staggered opening times of the last couple of years have created some weirdness and we're likely to see more of that as they all move earlier.  

But, honestly, (I know I'll take heat on this one) I don't understand why Thanksgiving is so sacred.  It's a harvest festival we celebrate by sitting down to our families and gorging ourselves.  Heck, for most families this comes more than once a year.  And, who doesn't have more than one Thanksgiving?  In-laws?  Divorced parents?  It's OK to do it on Saturday; I'm willing to bet a lot of people already do.  But let's all remember it's not a religious holiday.  Family holiday, yes, but hopefully family's around more than once a year.  

• Like 1