Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

On a tangential note: I was shopping around for MicroSD cards (I suspect my kitten has "disappeared" my 32Gb card) online, as well as perusing last year's BF ads. What I found was that MicroCenter has, both in-store and online, 32Gb MicroSD cards (not generics, either) for $15.99 (to put it in perspective, that's how much my first 1Gb thumb drive cost in 2007); that's better than any BF specials from last year. Now, MAYBE there'll be lower prices on Black Friday, but if so, it won't be by much; I wouldn't strain myself too much trying to hunt down those deals.

^ An excellent addition to this conversation.

Something to also keep in mind, the class assignation of cards indicates how fast the card can take info and how fast it can deliver it.  It's not perfect, but its generally a good metric to rely on.  If you're just using the card for app/game storage, class 4 is fine.  If you're quality streaming media, especially video, class 10 is probably what you should get.  I was able to get 32gb class 10 microSD cards last year between Black Friday and Christmas on Amazon for $18ea (since I bought two, shipping was free).  I felt really good about that value.

Yeah, looks like the deal I posted is for Class 4 cards. That's fine with me, though. The tablet I've bought (hurry up and get the damn thing shipped already, youse guys) has 32Gb, which should store all my apps with no problem; I'm planning to use the MicroSD card to load media, like music and comics. Edited by gbeenie

For those intrested, if you are looking at the Microsoft Surface you can get 10% off at Microsoft stores or online if you have a school id or an email acct that ends in edu

Does that include the Pro? And the first generation as well, or only the 2-series models?

Red flags go up on anyone selling a cheap tablet for a hefty price, claiming it is worth $299. Avoid. 7 inch tablets should be super cheap in a few weeks. Walmart just had a 10.1 inch which quickly sold out.

Edited by jaymacfla

What non iPad tablet that does not have to have wifi (data plan) is best? My daughters would like one to take to their college classes, but I'm not up to speed on this stuff :) I have an iPad that I love, but not having a flash player does suck.

Thank you :)

Erika

What non iPad tablet that does not have to have wifi (data plan) is best? My daughters would like one to take to their college classes, but I'm not up to speed on this stuff :) I have an iPad that I love, but not having a flash player does suck.

Erika

What price range are you looking at?

• Like 1

Erika

If they NEED it for classes, instead of social networking during classes as some end up doing, then you should look for a Dual core processor based android. Wifi is easy to get, especially with smartphones having hotspot capability. We will see which ones pop up in the mix in a week or so. Go for a 9 inch or a 10.1.

Does that include the Pro? And the first generation as well, or only the 2-series models?

I believe that it is any of them. I went to Microsofts website & then did a chat. You could always do that just to make sure. Only thing is.......it said limit was 1.

My girls don't actually need the tablets for their classes but more for taking notes along with going to sites used in class. They have their laptops, but would like a tablet to carry around instead ;) we do not want to pay for data, but use wifi in hotspots, home, etc. as for a price range, I would say I would like to stay at $350 max per tablet. I was also thinking a 10 would be good. Modes the Samsung Galaxy require a data plan? That is one they've talked about.

The more I read this thread the more confused I got.

I currently have an iPad2 but I'm thinking about going down to an iPad Mini (as at times it's too big and i hate having to carry a huge bag for it to fit in - yes guys i just said that lol)  and giving my mom my ipad2.

But my mom wants to get my sister a tablet of some kind and probably go with an android since they are cheaper..but i'm an apple snob and have no idea about anything in the android market. 

I'm looking forward to the chart that someone on the forum makes comparing all the different BF items.

My girls don't actually need the tablets for their classes but more for taking notes along with going to sites used in class. They have their laptops, but would like a tablet to carry around instead ;) we do not want to pay for data, but use wifi in hotspots, home, etc. as for a price range, I would say I would like to stay at $350 max per tablet. I was also thinking a 10 would be good. Modes the Samsung Galaxy require a data plan? That is one they've talked about.

Actually, you don't need to worry about a required data plan unless you purchase it from a cellular provider (ATT, TMobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc.).  EVERY tablet will be wifi capable.  Even the super cheap Chinese knock-offs like the sold out $50 tablet from Walmart.  Good 10 inch tablets will (typically) run you into the $400 range.  The Samsung Galaxy series are very good tablets at decent prices.  The Samsung Galaxy Note series is a little more upscale from the plain Galaxy series.  They offer a 7 and 10 in the plain Galaxy and a 6, 8, and 10 in the Galaxy Note series.  You may want to check with your DD about what size they actually would like as a 10 can get bulky.  They may actually prefer the 7 and are willing to trade off screen size for portability.

• Like 1

I'll throw in my two cents on the tablet discussion - as a fairly tech-y person.  

As far as the 'off brand' tablets go, many people like them okay if they've never had a tablet before.  If you give them to someone who basically is going to use it as an e-reader then you should be okay.  If you're going to give it to a kid who really wants to use them for video and gaming then I would think twice.  Most of these do not have the processing power to handle heavy graphics applications.  You really really want to check out the hardware of a tablet you are considering and not be dazzled by a $99 price

Apple- definitely a solid piece of equipment and it should be for the arm and leg you pay for it. I would say get an older model and save yourself some cash.  

Google -Older Nexus does not have a camera - New version has a camera and better screen and better battery(by leaps and bounds) Definitely a great device at a great value (we have two) 

Kindle - Loads of people love them - good hardware - android software but I can't see paying such a markup and a locked down android device.

Bottom line is each person has a preference just make sure it's going to do what you need/want it to do.  And since it's for a kid be certain that child can handle a tablet.  Many get broken- including my own family :(  My DH's sister killed off an ipad in less than a month and expected it replaced.  If you fear it broken maybe wait till they are a little older - they will still want one. 

Someone else put it best -

If it MUST be portable...

- Tablets are best for CONSUMING media.

- Laptops are best for CREATING media.

Tablets are great for reading your email, and simple responses.  They're great for browsing the internet.  They're REALLY great at social media.  But if you're in class and your professor it talking a mile a minute, and you're taking notes faster than you can think, I haven't met anyone who could do that better on a tablet than they could on a laptop.  I've even seen some people hook up a little directional usb microphone to their laptop and make audio recordings of the lecture at the same time as they're taking notes.

I know tablets are cool and sexy (insofaras technology can be sexy), but buying a tablet for taking notes in school is like buying a Mustang GT as your second car when you have three kids.  Sure you'll look cool using it.  And it's fun when you're doing what it does best!  And it can get the job done.  But you'll quickly realize that whenever you need to take the family somewhere, you'll choose the other car - the one with the bigger back seat, or maybe even a third row -  while the Mustang continues to look very sleek and sexy, albeit in your garage, not getting used.

My bet is, your kids will get very good at using the tablet in class....for tasks (social networking) other than taking notes.  ;)  And if they don't fall into the trap of playing in class, they'll soon end up carrying both the laptop AND the tablet to class, meaning they'll be carrying even more weight than they would with just the laptop.  A laptop and a relatively smart cell phone should be able to cover all their needs on both the class side as well as the social side.

• Like 1

I am playing with the Walmart 10.1 inch tablet right now. Compared to my galaxy tab, it is lacking in raw processing power and it does not have very good range for the WiFi. The camera is ok, and the on-board memory is going to be problematic. Thank goodness for the micro-sd slot! I still have to load the sd card with pre-loaded movies, music, and pictures to accurately gauge the viability of this thing.

from Consumer Reports...

• Top-notch tablet. Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, ($230). The latest Kindle has one of the highest-resolution 7-inch displays available, great for watching videos and reading books and magazines. New X-Ray features let you dig deeper into the videos you watch and the books you read. For example, you can find all of the songs that play during a movie and jump to the spots in the flick to listen to them.  Songs you buy from Amazon come with all of the lyrics. CR hasn't fully tested the Kindle Fire HDX yet, but prior versions were top-rated, and this one looks promising.

Actually, you don't need to worry about a required data plan unless you purchase it from a cellular provider (ATT, TMobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc.).  EVERY tablet will be wifi capable.  Even the super cheap Chinese knock-offs like the sold out $50 tablet from Walmart.  Good 10 inch tablets will (typically) run you into the $400 range.  The Samsung Galaxy series are very good tablets at decent prices.  The Samsung Galaxy Note series is a little more upscale from the plain Galaxy series.  They offer a 7 and 10 in the plain Galaxy and a 6, 8, and 10 in the Galaxy Note series.  You may want to check with your DD about what size they actually would like as a 10 can get bulky.  They may actually prefer the 7 and are willing to trade off screen size for portability.

I would say that, for a quality 10-inch Android tablet, $400 is gonna be in the upper echelon, like maybe if you're dying to have 64Gb on-board.

from Consumer Reports...

• Top-notch tablet. Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, ($230). The latest Kindle has one of the highest-resolution 7-inch displays available, great for watching videos and reading books and magazines. New X-Ray features let you dig deeper into the videos you watch and the books you read. For example, you can find all of the songs that play during a movie and jump to the spots in the flick to listen to them.  Songs you buy from Amazon come with all of the lyrics. CR hasn't fully tested the Kindle Fire HDX yet, but prior versions were top-rated, and this one looks promising.

I just wish the price didn't increase so exponentially once you step up to the 8.9" model.  :(

• Like 1

So... I'll jump into this discussion, seeking a little advice. I've determined that for my sister, the Nabi 2 7" tablet would be perfect for her kids. Yes there is a bunch of kids tablets out there but based on what you are all saying and what I have read it seems the Nabi is the way to go.

That isn't what I need advice on however. What I'm wondering is what would be the best tab for a 20 something looking mainly to consume media. You know, as in, browse the web, watch YouTube videos, email, Facebook, etc. I can't imagine this person being too into gaming. Maybe just the casual games. The budget is preferably $100 but if the offer is just right that budget could swing a little higher but absolutely no more than $150. I was thinking there may be a deal on the Galaxy Tab 3 7" that should fit the budget BUT I was wondering what you all think? Oh I can say that a 7" tab would be fine.

Also, I'm mainly trying to stick to the good brands with good customer support LIKE Samsung. I'm not really looking at Pandigital or Polaroid.

So.. any advice you all have that would be much appreciated.

Does anyone have any reviews of the NOOK Tablet? I have an 11 year old that has the Kindle Fire and my 4 year old is wanting a Tablet. I wanted to buy him something different than his sister so they could share and have different devices. The DD is getting an IPOD Touch also. I would love to get him the iPAD mini from Target but don't see spending that much for a 4 year old. Does anyone have a NOOK Tablet, do they offer anything Kid friendly like the Kindle does with the FreeTime subscription? Any suggestions would be appreciated because I am not very tech savy.

If you want "Kid Friendly", I would go with the Nabi 2.  It is a 7" kids tablet and a couple of places has them for $129.  It isn't going to work as well as a full blown tablet like the Samsung tab or Nexus, but it will work great for a kid.  There are already some (paid) games preloaded on it also.  It also comes with a kid-proof case and is less likely to be broken.  I would not consider a nook, kindle or iPad for a 4 year old.

As an aside:  There are SD cards that you can purchase that go into a Nook that turn them into a true, fully open android tablet.  They run about $25.  You stick them into the card slot and turn the tablet on to run them.