Secret Santa 2013 Official Discussion Thread

pogiporkchop

Y'all.....y'all.....y'all....y'alllllllllllll..................You win.  I give in.  I give into the Christmas spirit and the hopefulness I seem to have misplaced for far too long and to the belief that good people exist.

I bet you can guess what I am about to say.....there was another package waiting for me when I got home from what was a horrible day that included a huge blow up with my father over some serious non-packergurl-responsible nonsense but I digress.....

After crying yet again, I decide to open all the packages.  There have been 5 packages in all:

1) The first package (see picture #1) had some awesome old school taffy that I can guarantee will be gone before the week is over along with some mini Twix (yummy!) and Russell Stovers as well as a gorgeous watch that I LOVE and gingerbread anti-bacterial hand stuff.  I love this all, thank you!!!.

2) The second package was the previously posted package (see post #180 in this thread) that had a box of peppermint tea, Reese's Pieces and Twix - my 2 favs!, and a Starbucks card. This the perfect comfort package, tea and chocolate! Thank you!!

3) Package 3 was from the Chief Elf and had an adorable angel ornament with the word "Believe" on it that is now proudly front and center on my tree (see post #223).  It's perfect!  Thank you Chief Elf!

4) Package 4 (see picture 2 marked #4) is the package that arrived on Friday and is mentioned in post #224.  This package had 2 inflatable Packers tailgating buffet tables!!!  OH THE IRONY!!!  I was so pumped from the pep rally that I had a party for the game yesterday and I received one of these at my office white elephant exchange last week and I love it and I used it at my party yesterday and I was seriously telling everyone that I needed more of them because one wasn't enough and there sat two more RIGHT UNDER MY TREE!!!! BAHAHAHAHA :)  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I can't wait til next Sunday, it's going to be a Packers buffet heaven in my house! :D

5) The package that arrived today (see picture 3 marked #5) is the one that broke the dam and spurred the opening of the packages under the tree BUT by the time I got to this one, I felt like I was cheating myself of Christmas morning excitement so when I discovered the gifts were wrapped, I stopped myself.  There are 4 tea packages I can't wait to try and there are 5 wrapped packages in all, 3 are Christmas and the 2 with the puppy paper say Happy Birthday.  You don't even know what it means to have birthday gifts NOT wrapped in Christmas paper!!  I wanted to rip into them but I decided to save them so I will update this next week.  THANK YOU!! :D

There are also 2 other people who sent me Christmas cards with Starbucks cards in them to whom I want to say thank you.  I also want to say thank you for all of the Christmas cards too.  My mantle is very appreciative :)

I've tried to send a card to everyone who has sent me something but if I missed you, please, please, please, please let me know so I can fix that :)

You all have made me feel very special and loved.  I feel like I've been blitz attacked into a better mood and a better outlook and it has worked.  It's not even about the "things" but the fact that all of you, people who don't even know me, care enough to try and perk me up.  It has definitely shined a light on all the not so good people I let hang around - family included - who are life sucking energy drainers that don't deserve the access to me. You all have reminded me that there are positive people still out there and you have shown me that I deserve better, quality people in my life.  I cannot say thank you enough.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I love ALL of you and if you EVER need ANYTHING, say the word and it's done.  Gottadeal has definitely shown me THIS is what family is about and that family is more than just DNA.  Thank you a thousand and one times over.  Merry Christmas.

post-180344-0-06289300-1387256160_thumb.jpg

post-180344-0-29811500-1387256201_thumb.jpg

post-180344-0-76619300-1387256221_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Now THIS is what Christmas is about.  :) THIS is what keeps me coming back for these exchanges,  :gdhug1:

Everyone is so sweet, thoughtful, and giving.  Strangers but yet family.  Gottadeal is just the best pick me up.

Edited by lilquiet
  • Like 13

Some of the best people that I have never met hang out here.  Packergurl so happy you are feeling the warmth of the Christmas spirit.

I also got my SS gift today and since it is wrapped except for the wonderful lotion - I am going to try to wait for Christmas.

• Like 4

Here is my story:

It is snowing in upstate NY today, but no delays or closings at my Daughter's (15) school, so off she went. I went to the Post Office to get the Company mail, along with my own. There it was! My package from my SS. I wanted to open it but it had already taken longer at the Post Office today than normal so I decided I had to wait until lunch.

Later that morning, the school called work with an automated phone call. School would be letting out at 11:30 today because the snow IS NOT stopping. Well, fine, ok, that will work out perfectly. I will go to the bus stop at lunch (noon) and pick her up so she won't have to walk home in this. I get to the bus stop and I wait, bus should have been here by now but that is ok, I will just open my ss gift in the car while I wait. Here is what was inside:

Candy cane hot cocoa with marshmallows

Hot chocolate mug with all the fixings (daughter claimed that one)

A tin of cookies (which I ate most of for lunch while I waited)

An AZ calendar (thank you :gdyes: )

Microwaveable socks lmao

So now I have to tell you about the socks! Last night my daughter and I were in Bon-Ton just walking around. I was kind of complaining to her about my Husband and how he picks out my Christmas presents. I said to my Daughter, "ya know? If your Dad would just take the time to walk around and look at things and think about what I like, he would know that......look at these! He would know that I would like these microwaveable socks." Well, my Daughter just thought that was the funniest thing. "You want Dad to get you microwaveable socks?" "Yeah, why not, I would like these."

So, when she got in the car and I showed her the socks, we laughed and laughed and I can't wait to put them on when I get home.

Thank you SS, you made our day!! How did you know?

• Like 6

So very thrilled to see all the joy y'all who sent packages & cards to packergurl24 have given her. Proves there are still some of us good eggs left in the world. Heck, if I'd had your address, you'd have gotten yet another box, girl! Much love to all here!

My box is still sealed tight and my resolve is holding... 8 more days! Steeled myself with some BBW retail therapy today at lunch to keep the urge to open that box at bay! Ha!

• Like 2

4) Package 4 (see picture 2 marked #4) is the package that arrived on Friday and is mentioned in post #224.  This package had 2 inflatable Packers tailgating buffet tables!!!  OH THE IRONY!!!  I was so pumped from the pep rally that I had a party for the game yesterday and I received one of these at my office white elephant exchange last week and I love it and I used it at my party yesterday and I was seriously telling everyone that I needed more of them because one wasn't enough and there sat two more RIGHT UNDER MY TREE!!!! BAHAHAHAHA :)  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I can't wait til next Sunday, it's going to be a Packers buffet heaven in my house! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attached to this box was a card with a Christmas blessing/mass  in your name. i now realize that might have been a bad way to send it as it likely appeared to be a label for the package. not sure if you already tossed it out...i should have put it in the box..,as if there was room.lol.

so glad you have a better mood. whatever it takes to have someone who needs a mood uplift is always worth so much... may you have a wonderful Christmas and a even better new year...

Edited by stevierocks
  • Like 2

My turn!  (I think I may be the last one)   My Secret Santa gift arrived today!  Yay!  Thank you!  It was perfect!  But not in the way you might guess!  And the timing actually worked out perfectly!  (I always have preached that miracles are as simple as "God placing the right people (or things) in the right place at the right time".    If you have the eyes of faith (doesn't matter which faith) you will see miracles right and left.

Any way..here's the story.  My poor 83 year old dad, slipped and fell outside the old people's home when he and my mother were returning from a doctor appointment.   Off to the hospital they went.  Being the dutiful daughter and DPOA I left my hospital (work) and went to theirs.   Dad was shaken up and upset and chattering a mile a minute.  Of course we had to go through all the CT scans, Xrays, blood work etc. and he was placed in observation.  RN took one look and him and how he was acting  (he has vascular dementia from his stroke 4 years ago.) and  immediately said  'You are staying the night aren't you?"  Of course.  Well.  Poor dad was up all afternoon/evening with tests et al.  AND up all night for tests and just simple checks to make sure he was still alert and could squeeze hands etc.  83 year old men do not take well to being up 24 hours straight.  So by 6am Dad is becoming more and more confused and very grumpy and fussy.  This soon turned into an all out  dementia temper tantrum  which lasted 5 hours.  We could not calm him down or redirect him.  He was both physically and emotionally exhausted.  I finally told the nurse,  "I hate to do this, but can you give him something?  We need to hit his reset button somehow."   So poor dad got a wee bit of happy juice and was sound asleep quickly.   He was rouse-able a few hours later and we were able to finish his tests and be discharged.  (Yay!  Nothing broken, no bleeding.)  Got him home Wednesday night and spent the night at the old people's home as Dad was still very groggy and disoriented.

Fast forward to Thursday afternoon, Dad is now awake and back to his old self after 13-14 hours of sleep.   I had to leave mom and dad for a few hours because I had to lead the candlelight service at my hospital.  When I returned home, my secret santa package had arrived!  But I did not know it was my secret santa because it did not say "secret santa".  I thought it was an Ebay purchase.  I fed the cats and grabbed my package and headed back to the old people's home.   I found a very contrite and embarrassed Dad who was trying to apologize right and left.  Mom told him how he had been behaving.  (He could not remember any of it.)  I reassured Dad that I was not upset,  that I knew it was his dementia and that everything was OK.  But he was still upset.  Then I opened my secret santa gift.... it was a snowman night light  (a very glittery sparkly one.)  And my dad has  always had a thing for night lights.  (He is afraid of tripping and falling,)  His face immediately lit up and he asked "Is that for me??" and he began laughing when I plugged it in.  (Totally forgetting how upset he was.)

Needless to say,  it is now in his bedroom and his guardian angel night light was moved to his bathroom hallway.  (And a plain night light was "retired".)   He is SO happy  (and thus I am happy) with it.  Every time I have assisted him with overnight bathroom runs tonight,  he points and it and chuckles as I take him back to his bed.  It is an absolutely perfect gift and more importantly, it came at just the time.  Thank you so very much!

post-2167-0-76346100-1387530665_thumb.jpg

Now as, promised.....Mom's Secret Santa gifts from Chief Elf! :D

post-2167-0-61812700-1387530813_thumb.jpg

Two pretty leonx bird bowls for Mom's chocolate.  (As you can see, she has already enjoyed almost all of her chocolate.)

post-2167-0-73039100-1387530968_thumb.jpg

Sorry, thought the picture was clearer... Mom also got a beautiful pin.

Mom has sent a thank you note to Chef Elf.   She really enjoyed her Secret Santa surprise!

And thank you to my Secret Santa!  Because you brought a big smile to dad's face when he needed it!

• Like 18

If you have the eyes of faith (doesn't matter which faith) you will see miracles right and left.

That is a beautiful statement. I think I'm going to have to borrow that one.

Your story melted my heart this morning. I hope your Dad is feeling better!

• Like 3

Yes yes yes, StevieRocks!!  I unintentionally failed to include your wonderful card and your Christmas blessing/mass!!  I knew it was more than a label and I opened it and found your card and blessing and I put it on my nightstand next to my bed to see first and last thing each day between now and Christmas.  I appreciate this so much!!  THANK YOU!

As someone who is not Catholic, I have debated going to Christmas Eve mass for years because I have always wanted to experience it and I really think that this is the year I go - especially after the outpouring of love from my GD family - and especially because of your kindness and blessing.

I am SO sorry I failed to put in my last post but it was not missed, tossed, or unappreciated.  Thank you very, very much.

Edited by packergurl24
  • Like 2

My boyfriend was going to Albuquerque this past Tuesday for work and when I got home Monday night, he was at my house with a surprise plane ticket to take me with him! He'd arranged it with my boss and everything!  I left here in such a jolly mood, thanks to all of you, that this trip just pushed me off the edge of the joy cliff!

I had such a relaxing, fabulous time.  I ate lots of green chilies, drove the entire Albuquerque length of Route 66 from the mountains into the desert (Route 66 is a bucket list item of mine!) and had a cheeseburger plate and old school chocolate malt in a roadside diner while he was at work.  When he wasn't at work, we went on a holiday lights trolley ride and had hot cocoa and sang carols and all in all I had a wonderful, amazing time and I came home feeling relaxed, head clear, and reconnected to myself and to him.  We got home late last night and what do you know, low and behold there was another, yes another package waiting for me!

THIS TIME, I didn't cry, I GIGGLED!  Yes, GIGGLED!! You guys have made the Christmas spirit arrive right in time and what's better, I think you all have pulled me out of the doldrums and punched the life back into my heart!  I am running out of ways to say thank you but thank you, danke, merci, sukria, obrigado, gracias, thank you, thank you.

I will be opening this one on Christmas with the others.  I can't wait! :)

post-180344-0-22858900-1387589616_thumb.jpg

Edited by packergurl24
  • Like 1

Pepper_Mint_Tea...perhaps they tucked it away to be opened on Christmas.   :holiday01 Several people did that.  

I am expecting we shall all hear a  few more great stories in a few more days.

I suspect we will hear about your gift then too.  (Cheif Elf has been keeping good track of everyone packages.)  Hang in there!  i know it is fun to hear and see the reactions!

• Like 1

I need to thank those who sent me cards as well.  I didn't sign up for the card exchange, as I don't do cards myself.  I think I had received three before I finally thought of asking Chief Elf if my address was sent out by mistake to the card exchange.  She said she would send out a message that I wasn't on the exchange, but the cards kept coming.

Thank you all.

• Like 1