AOL Sign-Up Details (Circuit City and CompUSA)

stationchief

Alright class. :2bat: Please come to attention. There's been a mountain's worth of questions regarding the AOL sig-up deally at BB and CC. Let's settle the details once and for all, shall we? Everyone paying attention? Good. Let's dance ...

From both BB andd CC's official sites, the specifics reads as follows. ::AHEM::

"12-month AOL commitment required. IF YOU CANCEL OR ARE TERMINATED FROM THE AOL SERVICE FOR ANY REASON BEFORE THE END OF THE COMMITMENT PERIOD OR IF YO SWITCH TO ANOTHER PRICE PLAN BEFORE THE END OF YOUR COMMITMENT, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A CANCELLATION FEE EQUAL TO THE NUMBE OF MONTHS LEFT ON YOR COMMITMENT MULTIPLIED BY YOUR MONTHLY FEE. AOL membership fees will be charged in monthly installments of $14.95 or $23.90, depending on selected price plan. This offer cannot be combined with the AOL Optimized PC or Laptop Offer. Offer available to neww AOL members in the US, 18 or older with a major payment card. Savings at time of purchase are in the form of a gift card applied instantly as a method of payment." ... (legal copyright mumbo-jumbo here) ... "Offer expires 1/28/206. Additional restrictions apply. See store or www.compusa.com for details."

Hope this answers a lot of people's questions. And there's been a LOT of questions. Ask away in here and we'll try to sum it up further. :teacher:

What if you sign-up for AOL broadband (It's like $41.00 month)? You only sign up for 6months? Yeah right! :teacher:

Choices are either AOL dial-up ($23.90) or AOL account using someone else's ISP ($14.95). AOL with Broadband is not an option, but you could sign up for soemone else's high-speed service and pay the $14.95/month on top of that.

wtf is an "AOL Optimized PC or Laptop"? :confused: A computer with a modem and/or ethernet card? The marketing people should be dragged out back and shot for that.

AOL has these desktops and laptops they offer through company promotions. If you sign up for a year of service they sell you a desktop or laptop fairly cheap. Usually around $199-299 for the desktops. They're fairly decent systems.

Guest superdomino83

Does this AOL crap involve the $149 computer? Does anyone know?

I think it only involves the desktop at CC, which is free after the AOL rebate. So far it seems the $150 desktop has no rebates.

I think it only involves the desktop at CC, which is free after the AOL rebate. So far it seems the $150 desktop has no rebates.

Thanks!! I would hate to wait in line for 5 hours and then be told I had to sign up for something in order to get it!!!

As usual you can't get a str8 answer out of anyone at BB.

I could NOT confirm if the AOL thing is attached to the $149 computer. I guess we will have to wait until we are in the store and they ask if we want to sign up for AOL?!

And for some "strange" reason the MGR was unavailable. Sounds fishy to me??

San Antonio, Tx:

Dont worry folks Im not out yet, Im going to BB tonite to demand some freaking answers (hoping I dont end up in jail by the time I get what I came for-ANSWERS). LAst night I went up there and asked some questions and got a few relaxed answers-today they acted like Black Friday what is that? So I dont know what is going on with BB I guess they are playing dumb like WM on the laptops/desktop prices game?!

AOL has these desktops and laptops they offer through company promotions. If you sign up for a year of service they sell you a desktop or laptop fairly cheap. Usually around $199-299 for the desktops. They're fairly decent systems.

I understand the deal, what I don't understand is how these PCs are "optimized" for AOL. :) These types of deals have been going on for years with "non-optimized" PCs... I bet those people feel like they got screwed! ;)