external hard disk

hyzhr

How big of drive do you need (mb)? Max price you are willing to spend?

Also, I highly recommend staying away from Seagate, their HD's are not the best IMO (same with Maxtor.. again IMO!). Western Digital is a top rated HD and one myself and my husband rarely have problems with (if ever). :)

ETA: Here's some deals on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414 If you reply with more info as to what you want and need, I am sure someone can find you an awesome deal. :)

I don't know what gigabytes you need, but on Black Friday you could buy the internal 200GB Maxtor Hard Drive from Staples for $29.95 AR, and buy an 3.5" external housing from a place like newegg.com for around $30-$40.00.

A little more work, but you'll have the external housing even after the hard drive goes to hard drive heaven (for use with another drive).

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/17-145-656-02.JPG

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. :) I'd rather have one with 120g to 200g usb interface with price no more than 140 bucks (after mailing rebate). I like western digital too, but a little bit worried about its plastic case. Will it be very hot after using it for long time? Is its case shock-absorbing? ;)

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. :) I'd rather have one with 120g to 200g usb interface with price no more than 140 bucks (after mailing rebate). I like western digital too, but a little bit worried about its plastic case. Will it be very hot after using it for long time? Is its case shock-absorbing? ;)

The case I showed you above is not plastic... It's aluminum! (That's the best material commonly used for cases/enclosures). And with the 80mm fan underneath your drive, it will keep your drive cooler than any other case I know of.

It's the only one I know of to come with such a large fan.... Most enclosures have a 40mm fan out the back.

Shock-absorbing? Hard Drives are always delicate. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it. No 3.5" drive should be moved when the power is on.

A 2.5" laptop drive with a 2.5" external enclosure might be more of the way to go if you need to move it around with it on, but there won't be any specials on Black Friday for things like that and laptop drives are always much more expensive.

I don't know how familiar you are with computers, but the external drive enclosure will come with installation instructions. It's pretty easy.

I have two of the external enclusures I pictured above (AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure). They are $35.99 each w/$5.99 S&H from Newegg. There are some that are cheaper, but probably none as nice for the price. It has an average of 5 stars (top rating possible) from 502 people voting, and you can read 147 reviews from owners. Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145656

If you have a Firewire connection on your computer, they also have a version with Firewire and USB.