Challenge coin holder

Most put them on display on a stand or in a case:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vsf75ZGZL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519LVhQ37%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is a start toward what you are looking for: LINK

http://www.challengecoin.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/accessories/431.jpg

They are not all universal if you are encasing it. I collect challenges coins and have a few sizes. Sometimes a case will have a foam insert and you remove rings until it fits your size. If you go with a stand almost all coins will fit the grooves. But sounds like he only has the one?

The stands are nice, but he will he need to carry the challenge coin (or at least one if he has several) - it is just that... a "challenge" coin. If he is ever at the club with a group and some does a challenge - knocks coin on the table/bar... everyone must show their coin... if they do not have a coin that person is required to buy a round for the whole room... if the everyone in the room has their coin, then the challenger must buy the round - even if that round is a round of sodas (depending on age). Most men keep their coin in their wallet because they always have their wallets on them, the keychain is a nice alternative as long as he always has his keys on him.

Coins used to be the same size, but they can come in different sizes and materials, so make sure you get the measurements for the coin. Hope this helps.

A standard agency given coin is just shy of 1.75" diameter. However, 1.5" is also common, especially if bought on their own (outside of the agency's official coin contract). I have a military coin that is actually in between those as well. Many groups or teams do up their own coin to show off something unique about themselves or because the agencies restrict access to purchasing the agency coin (its usually given as a reward, sign of service or some other symbol, so they aren't available to just anyone). In most of these cases, the smaller coin is purchased and used to trade, give to friends, etc. So without knowing, if it's an official Navy coin, it could be the 1.75" but maybe the officer buys them to give out as his own sort of reward as well. It might sound weird, but it's VERY common.

Originally they started only as a circular "coin," but as he collects more, he will find they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes now. I have one that is a paw shape for the K-9's and multiple in the shapes of badges. Round 1.75" is still the most common though.

There are actually quite a few histories about the coins, no one really knows the "true" one. One goes back to Roman times even. PP poster stated a Vietnam era tradition that is pretty common today, rules vary by different groups, agencies or departments though.

I forgot to add that as a challenge coin, it must remain a "coin." I doubt this to be a problem for your JROTC guy, but making it a key ring is against most challenge rules (its then considered a keychain and not a coin, same as those who make them into belt buckles). If he's going to use it like that, I'd just keep it a coin in his wallet. He can always pop it out of the key ring when he gets older and wants it as a challenge coin too.

Edited by angleyez423