Any suggestions for the Black Friday forums for next year?

Brad

We did things this year pretty much the same way we've been doing them aside from a few minor changes (such as the new dedicated "Posted BF Ads" forum).

So I thought I'd post a thread to see if anyone has any suggestions for ways we could improve the Black Friday forums next year. Feel free to post your suggestions here or if you'd prefer, you can PM them to me and we'll consider them for next year.

It could be anything from the forum organization structure, official threads, the way contests are done, forum rules, features we should add (I really wanted to bring back the chat room this year but just didn't get the time), etc...

I did miss the chat. Being hearing impaired the webcasts arent great for me but figured 1 out of the 1000s of people here it isnt really a major need for the chats LOL ....Hey can you closed caption the webcasts?? LOL Who can type REALLY REALLY fast?!?!?

I like the posted ad section. Was an easy way to locate scans.

I love the comparison chart and the scan post ad page . But, there is one thing I thought of . How about Put a dedicate shopping under the store itself and then within there you can put a sub for the Cyber sale ? But, leave all the scan add under the ad forum.

How about color coding to make it easier to locate what your looking for within the new posts.... like changing the font color or background color to something lightly colored. Like all gottadeal talk one color, bf another color and daily posted deals yet another color.....just a thought.....I know when I check in and there are 4 or more pages to go through of new posts it all starts to look the same.

I might break the forums into deals, discussion, and help. So people looking for the deals would not have to sift through the 'which one do I want' and 'this one's better posts' -- I wouldn't want to lose any of this, but when the stores open, I only have time to scan the deals.

The forumms are divided into deals Online/Offline and dicussion as to each specific store under black friday and Help as in Deal Finder/discussion. Also a Search feature, on the black friday ads and the forum deals. Just hit search enter said word and it'll bring up the list of deals with most recent at the top. Don't forget the black friday charts where you can customize the deal your looking for and into which stores. Stationchief and his staff put alot of time and work into it. Which I for one appreciate.

Only thing I can think of that might be worth adding would be maybe a price matching sub-forum for something that all the stores that price match would do. Being that this year alot would even price match ads on black friday. For example I price matched the Blu ray Combo Pack Brave at Bestbuy for $9.98 to the Sam's club ad. Dunno if it'd help or create to much confusion. Making sure that the rules for each store were posted with any specifics that might apply. For example if its within 10 miles of store. Only used for Hot items, hoping that it'd make it easier for someone who misses out on said store's online/Brick and mortar sale, to be able to get one at the same price. Knowing that each store's doorbuster of cheap laptop and things of that nature won't be able to be pricematched.

How about having a pop up for the gottadeal app (apple/android) when you browse to the site using one of these OS? I thought I remember you doing this when it was first released. You can still leave them in their stores, too. If it is too much of a resource hog, just do it during BF. (I know, that is when you need the resources the most!) It may be helpful to the kindle users who have no intention of adding the Play store to their device.

I would love to see a link to "My List" at the top of every page, even when you are in the BF forum (not just the Black Friday deals pages). I often find myself going to it. And maybe the same for the comparison charts.

Adding to what I said above, it would also be nice to have a "Search Add Items" box available from any page, including the forum.

Edited by mcwalker

My first year of finding the forum...just a few days before BF but wow-it was great.

I didn't really do any BF shopping....just nothing out there I personally needed/was shopping for but I

really was appreciative to find this site that has the ad scans (as I never was able to get my hands on any

physical ads!)...so much easier to see and look at the scan than a typed listing.

I also appreciate the search function...I happened to be looking for a slow cooker and it was great it brought up any place that had one for sale....

Someone/s goes to tremendous work for the benefit of many...thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

This comment relates to the item listings, not the forum: Doorbusters used to be simpler--they were generally available from whenever each store opened until around 1PM. So the simple indication of them with the "sun" symbol on the listing (and printout of My List) was enough. Increasingly we have to keep track of what time different items are doorbusters. This might be a little complicated, but it would be great if instead of just a sun, doorbuster items could be marked with a simple indicator of what time their doorbuster period begins. Say something like: T8pm for Thursday at 8:00 PM or F4am for 4:00 AM Friday, or Mid for midnight Thursday/Friday.

There was an effort to indicate which day in the Sears listings, but it wasn't consistently applied to all the items and would be nice to have it in its own column (and be able to indicate the hour).

How about having a pop up for the gottadeal app (apple/android) when you browse to the site using one of these OS? I thought I remember you doing this when it was first released. You can still leave them in their stores, too. If it is too much of a resource hog, just do it during BF. (I know, that is when you need the resources the most!) It may be helpful to the kindle users who have no intention of adding the Play store to their device.

I still get the popup occasionally. I think it uses a cookie and once you dismiss it, you might not see it again.