Roku

mme

don't know what ds16 is, but yes, they are good prices; especially the Roku HD for $39.99.

DS16 would be a 16 year old darling son or dear son. :)

I was also thinking of a ROKU unit. Trying to decide between a Roku unit or just a Netflix/HULU capable blu-ray player. I really just want to add those two services to my tv, but ROKU seems to be too cool to pass up on BF.

Edited by deelite

mme/deelite, those are good prices...

Best Buy

Roku 2 XD Wireless Digital Media Player $59.99

Roku 2 XS Wireless Digital Media Player $79.99

Roku HD Streaming Player $39.99

I have a few Rokus and prefer them to streaming BD players simply because they are better supported. New channels are coming onboard all the time and third parties are also developing for them. Should you care about that? Maybe. If you are simply looking for a Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu player, you probably do not care. If you are looking for more, you should.

My favorite deal for a Roku is the Playon promotion that buys you a lifetime subscription to Playon plus a Roku LT for $70. Playon adds a lot of channels to the Roku. Plus, this is shipped to you -- no lines or risk of out of stock.

Ok, let me run this buy y'all ... Going to get son a small tv (I hope) 22, 24 or 26 inch on BF--his room is small. I don't want to pay for/allow him to have the content of shows/FIOS in his room...

I see there are BLU RAY dvd WIFI players on BF, if I buy one, what children/teen shows will he possibly be able to watch/ how do I do it... I have wireless router, what will this special bluray player provide us ? Or do I need to scrap the player Idea and just get a ROKU? I don't really want to pay for netflix or I'd get fios in his room, looking for something appropriate and free/nearly free.

thanks

wow len I was typing and you were posting

That happens a lot this time of year ;-)

I suggest you look at the channels available from Roku and Playon to see if these will keep your kid happy. You can test drive Playon if you have a supported device or if you have Chrome installed on your computer (just go to m.playon.tv). I also like that Playon lets you stream video files off your PC to a Roku. Use DVDSmith and Handbrake to rip all those kids DVDs you can get from Walmart on BF so your kids can watch without handling the media.

wow, I DO HAVE chrome, so I will take a look, thank you. . . thanks for the other info about DVDSMITH and Handbrake... I have saved it to my computer for when this thread disappears.. :)

Just to be clear, you have to install Playon on a PC (can be the same one you have chrome installed on) and configure it before you can play.

I have a hardware-related question. I too have been considering going Roku or Smart Blu-Ray player. However my TV (a nice 56-inch Toshiba) is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI inputs. Does this preclude me from going the Roku/Blu-Ray route?

If so, then I guess I need to go look at TV's as well.....

Just to be clear, you have to install Playon on a PC (can be the same one you have chrome installed on) and configure it before you can play.

I have a hardware-related question. I too have been considering going Roku or Smart Blu-Ray player. However my TV (a nice 56-inch Toshiba) is old enough that it doesn't have HDMI inputs. Does this preclude me from going the Roku/Blu-Ray route?

If so, then I guess I need to go look at TV's as well.....

Roku has A/V outouts as well. :)

mme/deelite, those are good prices...

Best Buy

Roku 2 XD Wireless Digital Media Player $59.99

Roku 2 XS Wireless Digital Media Player $79.99

Roku HD Streaming Player $39.99

I have a few Rokus and prefer them to streaming BD players simply because they are better supported. New channels are coming onboard all the time and third parties are also developing for them. Should you care about that? Maybe. If you are simply looking for a Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu player, you probably do not care. If you are looking for more, you should.

My favorite deal for a Roku is the Playon promotion that buys you a lifetime subscription to Playon plus a Roku LT for $70. Playon adds a lot of channels to the Roku. Plus, this is shipped to you -- no lines or risk of out of stock.

What is the difference between the XD and XS?

I"m thinking about getting the standard $40 one. Not sure if it will work with my internet. I can barley stream Netflix on the XBOX because I'm lucky to get 90 kilobytes a second down.

What is the difference between the XD and XS?

I"m thinking about getting the standard $40 one. Not sure if it will work with my internet. I can barley stream Netflix on the XBOX because I'm lucky to get 90 kilobytes a second down.

XS has a motion controller so that you can play games on it is the only real difference I can see. If you just want it to stream content then the XD does everything the XS does.