Looking for a Laptop that is a good price but not a POS!

DH and I want to buy a laptop this year. But we are looking for one that is a good price. We would like to find one that is under $600, but not sure if we want to go with the $398 ones on BF. We want the best priced one that we can get but we want one that is worth it. I don't want one that's gonna be really slow and not worth crap. It doesn't do me much good to look at the specs since I don't understand that much about the technical aspects of them.

I think I'm going with the Gateway from BB. Seems like a pretty good machine and it also comes with a dvd burner where as none of the $398 and less ones do. Also, it's a Fri and Sat sale item as opposed to being a doorbuster, so most likely they won't run out if I don't get there until Fri afternoon.

What will you use it for? Mainly internet and word processing type of stuff? Or graphic intensive things like games?

Mostly yeah. Plan on going back to school so I will need it for all things related. Also, need to keep up with all of DD medical info so I probably need a good bit of memory. And yes, some games. I love playing the Sims but the desktop we've got right now can't handle the load.

I'd either try to get one of the BF ones (like the Best Buy deal) or I'd keep an eye on Dell's web site (or this link specifically). You don't need anything "special" IMO, so I'd just keep an eye on basic notebooks (though I'd get one with at least 512 ram, IMO 256 just isn't enough for even the basic user anymore..).

We have a Dell Inspiron, and though many years old - they still make them now. Ours has held up very well! :) We bought it about five years ago, it was refurb'd and had a limited warranty (one year I think?!) but we never needed it.

Here's a search on Dell notebooks in the outlet center - these go fast.. but some good deals come up sometimes!

Also keep your eye on the Online Deals forum here on GottaDeal. I believe Brad just posted a deal but it may have already expired (I'll look later). Every few months, Dell has an offer for $700 off $1499 and sometimes others as well. They only last a few hours though!

I'll look around a bit more for you tonight. But I am thinking if I were you, I'd try the laptop deals BB is having on BF.. but if you don't get one, Best Buy still has similar deals (though not as good!) through out the year.