Kids Kitchen question

lmitchem

Just wondered if any of you have ever bought the Fisher Price Time to Cook Barbie Kitchen or the Little Tykes Cooking Sounds Gourmet Kitchen?:gd_detect I don't have a clue on which one to get my granddaughter and would love any input from someone in the know.

Thanks,

Lisa

I bought my kids the little tykes one and they played with it for maybe a month. My DD was 3 at the time and thats all she had asked for. I spent $70 on it and she was pretty disappointed. It doesn't have a fridge so she wouldn't really play with it because she said she had no where to put the food. The phone NEVER stayed attached to the darn set and the sounds were hard to get to really work. I ended up getting them the Little Tykes Victorian kitchen for $8 at goodwill it was almost brand new and they have been playing with that thing for over a year. It has no bells or whistles just a plain old pretend kitchen and they LOVE IT!!!

Vicki

I bought my 1-year-old (yes, I know she's young but she's spoiled) the Little Tykes 2-sided kitchen about 2 months ago. I can't remember the exact name, but it's at Toys R Us for $154.99 and on one side is your 'kid kitchen' and on the other is an outdoor grill set-up. In theory it's really cool, but:

1--I thought I was getting the "Intelli-cooker" set up where it interacts based on what the kid is making. Little Tykes makes a kitchen that's $99 that does this (which is super-cool by the way), but the expensive one I bought didn't have that feature. Not so cool.

2--This kitchen/grill takes up hella room. Imagine two kid kitchens back to back. You're looking at a 6-foot by 6-foot area, minimum. We have ours indoors in the playroom and it takes up way more room than I hoped/planned.

3--The dang thing took 3 hours to assemble. And if you mess up, you're SOL.

4--You need batteries for each side. And of course, you need different sizes for each side. AAs on one, Cs on another, naturally.

5--It doesn't come with much food. The only food you get is to cook on the grill, not to cook in the oven. So, I've had to spend more money on the big food sets so she'll have something in the oven if she wants.

Long story short, go with either the cheaper Little Tykes kitchen (the only drawback is that the oven and dishwasher open sideways, more like cabinets--this isn't like our house, so I didn't like it) or the Lifestyle kitchen (whose only drawback was that it didn't make sounds). All are good, but I don't know that I would make the same choice again.

The Lifestyle Kitchen makes more than enough noise for me. The microwave buttons beep when you push them and it hums when you push start. The stove makes boiling water sounds when you put the pot on it. The trash compactor even makes noise. The ONLY drawback to Step 2 Lifestyle kitchen is that it takes 36 AA batteries and hey, you can get those at Sams for $15!

We got our daughter the Little Tykes Cookin' Fun Interactive Kitchen. I love the look, the storage space, the setup (fride, oven, dishwasher, microwave, etc.), but the only food that interactes with it is the 15 pieces it comes with. I contacted Little Tykes and they said the other interactive food won't work and at this point in time they have no plans in the works to make more food for our kitchen. What is big disappointment!!

I would say go with a plain nice kitchen with out all the bells and whistles cause the interactive foods are EXPENSIVE!

My kids have a nice, inexpensive, plain kitchen they've had for maybe 4 or 5 years. Theirs is the 'Family Kitchen' I think. It's the same 'base' as the cooking sounds kitchen but ours is girly colors and doesn't 'do' anything. Also where the cutting board is on the cooking sounds ours is a spot for baby to sit.

Anyways, my kids use their kitchen often. They're 4 and 6 now and we've gotten plenty of use out of it and will probably get at least a few more years, at least with younger daughter.

Another option, there's an adorable wooden kitchen at Costco for $95ish.