CVS Deals Discussion - May and June '12

freesia39

ALL discussion about CVS deals, coupons, and promotions for the month will take place in this thread. Please do not start a new thread, as they will promptly be CLOSED and you will be directed to post in the new thread.

Welcome to the joys of CVS Shopping! Here are some quick details to help you out:

What is the CVS Extra Care Program?

The CVS Extra Care program is CVS’s shopping card. You can sign up for a card in store or online at https://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/registerextracare?LOGINMSG=XTRACAREMSG

With this card, you will have access to their weekly and monthly sale prices. If you do not present your card, you will not be given these sale prices or qualify for the Extra Care Bucks rewards.

The greatest benefit of this program is the Extra Care Bucks portion.

What is an Extra Care Bucks?

Every month, along with every week, CVS runs sales on particular items where if you buy that item, you will receive a coupon at the end of your receipt with Extra Care Bucks (aka ECBs) that you can use on your next purchase.

For example, let’s say Garnier Fructis shampoo is on sale for 2.99 with $2.00 in ECBs. This means you will have to pay the 2.99 upfront for the shampoo, but at the end of your receipt, you will receive a $2.00 ECB that you can use on a future purchase at CVS. It’s like you only paid $0.99 for a bottle of shampoo!

At the end of each quarter, CVS will also add up all your spending, and give you a rebate in ECBs based on your spending, which is 2% of the total amount. That’s EXTRA money just for buying items at CVS!

Can I use manufacturer’s coupons?

Certainly! Using the example above with the Garnier Fructis shampoo – there are regularly coupons for 1.00 off your purchase of one (1) bottle of their shampoo. The item will ring up at 2.99, then you can use your coupon for 1.00 off, so you wind up paying 1.99 for the item. You STILL get the $2.00 ECB reward – so it’s like getting it for free!

Wow! Can I do this over and over?

Unfortunately, there are limits to all the sales. Check the weekly ad and the monthly sales books for the limits. When we post the sales here, we will also list the limits.

Can I have more than one CVS card?

The answer in general is no. However, if you have access to another address/name/phone number, you may be able to get a second card.

What about prescriptions?

Whenever you fill a prescription, make sure the pharmacy scans your card! Each prescription is 0.50 in ECBs that will be paid out at the end of the quarter.

Can I use the ECBs I earn to pay for prescriptions?

Unfortunately, no. They can only be used on store purchases.

CVS and Coupons

CVS has a great coupon program. When you sign up for your card, make sure to check that you want CVS to email you coupons and offers. This will put you on their mailing list for future coupons!

Most of the CVS coupons are for a certain amount of dollars off a minimum dollar purchase. For example, to start, CVS will email you a coupon to save $4.00 on a $20.00 purchase.

When entering your store, look for the CVS card scanning/price checking machine. Scan your card upon entry every time for additional coupons and incentives! Sometimes it's 3.00/10.00 of CVS products, or something FREE!

Stacking coupons - I am sad to report the end of coupon stacking, but you can read the details below in the spoiler.

Please note, your store may have a different policy regarding the stacking of coupons. IN ADDITION CVS has not been issuing as many e-mail coupons as in the past. Most stacking has been done via CRT coupons, which are the coupons that are generated at the end of your CVS receipt, or from the card scanning machine (if your store has one.)

Always make sure you give the cashier your CVS card to scan before you get to the total and start handing over coupons to make sure you get any sale prices.

CVS will sometimes have coupons for $3 off a $15.00 purchase, or $2 off a $10.00. The theory regarding CVS purchases are:

Your PRETAX amount is 30.00. You have a coupon for $4 off $20.00, $3 off $15.00, or $2 off $10.00. Hand to the cashier the coupons in this order:

1. The $4 off $20.00 coupon

2. The $3 off $15.00

3. The $2 off 10.00

As long as your total is more than the amount on the coupon, you can keep using coupons.

NEXT, give them your manufacturer coupons.

FINALLY, give them your ECBs.

Hopefully by this point, your out of pocket (OOP) amount is a small number. It may not be at the start, but with constant shopping and deal searching, you’ll build up a good amount of ECBs to use on future purchases.

We have come across some stores that will not allow you to stack their money off coupons unless your total equals the amounts of the coupons. For example, if you want to use a $4 off $20 coupon along with a $3 off $15 coupon, some cashiers may say that your total must be $35.00 before you can use the coupon. This rule varies from store to store and from cashier to cashier. We cannot say that CVS will always stack, because the policies are always changing.

What do they do about B1G1 (buy one, get one free) coupons? I have 2 coupons for the B1G1 covergirl lip product. If I got 2 lip products and used the two coupons would I get both for free or do the B1G1 coupons ring stuff up for 1/2 price?

CVS rings up the first item at full price and the second item rings up free. So if you have a BOGO free coupon, you would get both items free.

PLEASE NOTE: YMMV (your mileage may vary.) Some stores may not process it, some cashiers may be confused, but in general, the above should happen.

How to use your ECBs

Please note that you cannot use your ECBs:

- on pharmacy co-pays

- on the purchase of gift cards

Also, ECBs are tied to YOUR card. You will not be able to use the ECBs that are earned by other people. You must also present your card in order to use your ECBs.

Please note that your ECBs do have an expiration date and to be mindful of it. If they do expire, you may be able to have customer service reactivate them. Please contact CVS customer service at 800-SHOP-CVS.

ECBs can only be used on the PRETAX amount of your purchase. If your pre-tax purchase is 3.99 and you only have a $4.00 ECB, you will not be able to use that ECB – you must use smaller denominations.

I bought something that comes with ECBs but it didn’t print out. What gives?!

Check to see if you had previously hit the limit on the offer. It will print on your receipt. Also make sure you bought the correct item or version of the product. If you had not hit the limit, please contact customer service at 800-SHOP-CVS and they will add it to your card to print the next time you are in store.

THE GROUND RULES:

1. Post your experiences shopping at CVS, the deal combos you have found, and the unmarked clearance/ECB deals you have found at your store. Also post your general location if you are comfortable.

2. Do not post links to non CVS authorized coupons. They will be edited out. Authentic CVS coupons come from cvs.com or are located at akamaitech.com.

3. Keep non CVS chatter to a minimum. This is first and foremost a deals discussion. Anything going too far off topic will be deleted.

If you have links to printable coupons for items on sale this week at CVS, also post those for others to share.

Play nice!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I goofed this morning. This always happens, I feel rushed because there are people behind me, and the scenario I plotted in my mind didn't work.

I did:

2.77 Oral-B toothbrush x 2

- 0.25 coupon x 2

Total after tax is 5.50, received 4.00 in ECB

Transaction 2:

2.74 Colgate Toothpaste x 2

- 0.75 coupon x 2

- 4.00 ECB

Total OOP: 0.43

Received $2.00 ECB

Transaction 3:

5.99 Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash x 2

- 0.25 coupon x 2

- 2.00 ECB

Total OOP: 10.47

Received $10.00 ECB back.

What I SHOULD have done is separate the mouth wash into separate transactions, so instead of one huge $10 ECB, I would have paid 4.00ish OOP on the first transaction, then received the $5.00 in ECB, bought the second mouthwash for 5.99, -0.25 coupon, -5.00 ECB, and paid less than a dollar, and got $5.00 back in ECB.

Oh well.

Or I should have done the toothpaste first, now that I think about it, and then started rolling from there. I didn't have any ECB currently. ARGH.

Another email today: 2.88 for 24 pack Nestle Pure Life. Wednesday (6/13) only. Scan card at coupon center. Doesn't look like this requires additional purchase.

Hmmm...I didn't get that one,but I got the Coke one last Thursday.

Guess I don't need it :P

I went in to use all the coupons that CVS has been sending not even sure if half of them would work together! LOL I had kind of a fun trip with a pre coupon total of over $36 and an after coupon total of $7.78 (PLUS $8 in extra care bucks after I checked out!)

1 nestle water $2.88

4 father's day cards $13.26

1 nivea BONUS size firming lotion (WHICH I LOVE) $10.99

2 skintimate cream shaving lotions $7.58

1 q tips (on clearance for 1/2 price and basically a filler to get to $20 in beauty total) $1.89

$36.60 total

LESS:

$3.79 off on the shaving lotion (BOGO manuf)

$2.00 (manuf) off on the nivea

$4/$20 beauty product CVS coupon

$2.50 CVS coup (B3/get 1 on the cards)

$4 extra care bucks from previous purchase last week

$5/$20 CVS coupon from newspaper

$7.53 off from 30% off coupon (I don't know how the register calculated this?! It was just on my card and they automatically put it in).

Total was $7.78 after coupons! ... and I got $3 extra care bucks for purchasing the hallmark cards... and $5 extra care bucks for purchasing the nivea.

The best part is that I totally needed everything I found there, which is the one reason I dislike CVS-- too many times I end up buying some overpriced fill in item because I tell myself I should use some coupon that requires it!

Edited by KC-Traderbear

Good buy, KC-Traderbear! My CVS will not let me use two XX off XX in the same transaction. I had $2 off $10 Olay and $4 off $20 -- they said only one can be used. BTW, I am enjoying their Beauty Club. I wsh Walgreens have something similar, do they?

I really didn't expect them to take the coupons either and I was kind of dizzy about which ones would actually be the best to use-- too many!!! My brain was in overload, so I just threw them all in and figured they tell me what they couldn't take. They did have to push through the $5/$20.

Does anyone know if the 30% off coupons that come across e-mails are only good for ONE time or is that available on my card to use until the expiration date? All the e-mail says is available through Sunday 6/17. It doesn't say anything about a one time use... just curious if anyone might know??

Got another email: 1.88 for any one bag M&M's (9.9-15.4 oz.) One day only - Friday 6/15

Dang it-I didn't get this one either.

I'd like to know how I got the Coke one last week,but didn't get the water and M&Ms ones this week?

I didn't do anything differently (that I know of anyway).

Still,I can go in tomorrow and scan my card and get the coupon for the M&Ms right?

Thanks for the head's up!

:)

Dang it-I didn't get this one either.

Still,I can go in tomorrow and scan my card and get the coupon for the M&Ms right?

:)

The email had a link to "print coupon now" kind of like when you get the notification about quarterly rewards. You get the email and can click the link and it will take you right to the coupon for printing. Just tried to access the link to copy to this reply but it's gone. Maybe not accessible because I already printed a hardcopy yesterday? I know that my spending at CVS has been minimal. Can't seem to find the deals that were so abundant last year.:( Not sure if that's why I'm getting coupons. When I picked up my water deal, I scanned my card and got 13 coupons. Most I won't use, but was a little surprised at how many printed. Hope you get some good coupons when you scan your card.

I know that my spending at CVS has been minimal.

I haven't gotten any emails or any of the special offers, think my last purchase at CVS was the coke or pepsi twelve packs maybe a year ago on similar offer.

In other knews I did get an invitation to be a CVS panel member and get rewarded that way. Anyone else get that email?

The email had a link to "print coupon now" kind of like when you get the notification about quarterly rewards. You get the email and can click the link and it will take you right to the coupon for printing. Just tried to access the link to copy to this reply but it's gone. Maybe not accessible because I already printed a hardcopy yesterday? I know that my spending at CVS has been minimal. Can't seem to find the deals that were so abundant last year.:( Not sure if that's why I'm getting coupons. When I picked up my water deal, I scanned my card and got 13 coupons. Most I won't use, but was a little surprised at how many printed. Hope you get some good coupons when you scan your card.

Ran into CVS this afternoon and scanned my card but the machine said that coupons were "temporarily unavailable".

So I didn't get the M&Ms deal (don't really NEED them anyway haha) but got a few coupons printed at the end of my receipt. Last week,I got the email saying that all I needed to do was scan my card and a coupon would print for the $1.99 12 pack of Coke (w/$10 purchase) but no go for the water or M&Ms.

I have curtailed most of my shopping at retail stores (I'm a Garage Sale Queen) but am always up for a really good deal.

A little OT here on this thread but maybe it will help somebody:

Walgreens has the Jack Links beef jerky on sale for $2.99 (ends tomorrow) but some of the packages have $1 off peelies and some of them have $3 off a haircut at Great Clips (expires 12/31/12). Most of the people in my family really love beef jerky so I am stocked up for Father's Day,birthdays and camping!

I got an email today for 30% off items (ISO) thru 6/25.

The fine print:excludes SALE and PROMOTIONAL items,clearance,alcohol,tobacco,yada yada....

My excitement left me as isn't nearly everything at CVS on sale,promotional,or clearance?

I called a rep and she wasn't very encouraging telling me it wouldn't be good on ad items,etc. I asked if it would be good on the 10 for $10 items and she said it should work. Basically,I'm going to my store and asking the manager what I can actually use this nice coupon on. I hate when stores do that :yuck:

If anyone else gets this coupon and uses it,please post.

I'm convinced CVS hates me and my coupon ways, I don't get ANYTHING good coupon wise.

Lol,most shopping trips they lose money on me ;)

At first I thought it was going to be a GREAT coupon,but now I don't think so.

I just saw on Twitter how one girl was excited because she just received the coupon too and she was going to use it for the $10 gas card (you know,when you purchase $30 in products).

She needs to read the fine print on that coupon!

I got an email today for 30% off items (ISO) thru 6/25.

The fine print:excludes SALE and PROMOTIONAL items,clearance,alcohol,tobacco,yada yada....

My excitement left me as isn't nearly everything at CVS on sale,promotional,or clearance?

I called a rep and she wasn't very encouraging telling me it wouldn't be good on ad items,etc. I asked if it would be good on the 10 for $10 items and she said it should work. Basically,I'm going to my store and asking the manager what I can actually use this nice coupon on. I hate when stores do that :yuck:

If anyone else gets this coupon and uses it,please post.

I just got one of those 30% off coupons last week and you are right, it is rather limiting. Many times I don't even end up using them, but if there is anything that you need that simply has extra bucks attached to it... no discounts, just extra care bucks with a purchase... I'm *pretty sure* that the 30% off coupon works on that stuff. It was hard for me to tell which items exactly were affected by the 30% discount since the receipt just shows a lump sum discount at the bottom, but I *think* it did take it off my Nivea lotion (which was full price, but had a $5 extra buck with a $10 purchase.) Since my lotion was $10.99, I'm almost positive that it took 30% off of the $10.99 PLUS gave me back $5 extra bucks (which is almost 1/2 the cost of the lotion), so I thought that was pretty good--plus I had a manufacturers coupon too. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, I needed the lotion!!

I really don't like the 25/30% coupons that come out. I prefer the $4/$20 since you can use those on clearance, sale or ANYTHING. I just got one of those today via e-mail!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got another 30% off yesterday. That came within 2 weeks of the last one! ?? And they gave me a 20% off e-mail LAST WEEK.

I dunno what their rationale is. We did just have a Walgreens open up fairly close to me, so maybe they target zip codes based on competition moving in?? I'm totally guessing, but CVS has had a ton of promotional stuff lately... full page color ads in the newspaper with $5/$20 purchases on top of these e-mails that I'm receiving...2-3 of those within the last month.

This 30% that I just got is going to waste. I don't need anything except Diet Coke and 30% off full retail at CVS on their coke products isn't a good deal.