DVRs and Speakers Anyone?

riteshypatel

Anyone know where there are good speakers for computers (preferable 2.1 or higher) and/or DVR's on sale on BF? I looked on the ads for the different stores and saw only 1 speaker set for an unknown company of unknown wattage for $20 (not so cool by me)....and saw NO DVRs (again, not so cool, I wanted something like a 100+ Gig one).

If anyone caught something else or just knows about any good speakers or DVR's going to be on sale on BF? If you do - please let me know, it'd be a great help!

RYP

TiVo question - (I've had various answers): Must you have the monthly TiVo service to use a TiVo device? If not, what features do you lose - or what is possible WITHOUT monthly $ervi$e?

Yes, you must have TiVo service to program recordings. If you have a PC, I would recommend a PVR card instead.

TiVo question - (I've had various answers): Must you have the monthly TiVo service to use a TiVo device? If not, what features do you lose - or what is possible WITHOUT monthly $ervi$e?

Without TiVo service ($12.95 monthly or $299 lifetime) your TiVo is useless, it will become a fancy door stop.

If you can find a DVR which offers TiVo Basic then you would have (partial) TiVo functionality with NO MONTHLY OR LIFETIME FEES! Of course there is a catch, these are very hard to find. Search Google, eBay, Amazon.com, and PriceGrabber.com for Toshiba SD-H400. Some Best Buy stores have this model on clearance for $199 or less. Mine had a few open box for $150 and NO REBATES or TIVO FEES!

Here is a nice review of the Toshiba SD-H400.

Can you give me a quick summary of what a PVR card is and how it works with recording TV?

PVR and DVR are basically the same thing, P = personal and D = digital.

A PVR card is basically a TV tuner card for your computer (internal or external) and PVR software. The benefits of a PVR card are NO FEES and more flexibility. Since the TV shows are already on your PC you can stream them or burn them directly to DVD. PVR cards range from $59 - $150 and good PVR software is around $50.

TV tuner card deals http://www.gottadeal.com/Deals/Category/tvtuners

Thanks Rossman...researching all of this now.

You're welcome. I would highly recommend the Happauge TV Tuner cards as they have hardware encoding. Also get some nice PVR software such as MCE 2005, BeyondTV or SageTV.

What's your budget for a PVR card? Figure about $50 for PVR software.