* Official Black Friday CAMCORDER Thread *

i-bystander

* Panasonic PV-GS31 MiniDV Camcorder w/ 26x Optical Zoom - $249.99 *

Does anyone know if this camcorder is worht getting? I don't care about snapshots, I just wanna record video then download to my computer and burn to DVD. Basically all I care about is that it will last and has decent video quality.

I got a panacam this last summer to hawaii..It made the trip......I will also say that in general the stills I took while filming WE'RE FANTASTIC .Being a fairly good photographer for my many years... I thought the close-up stills were mind blowing considering I thought the still feature on the camera was just a cheap add-on,,,BUT NO. It must be the optics or something!.!! It was so cool to have still out of a movie with out doing a capture,,,and you can pop out the SD card and transfer that way. I am looking to get another for my mom. For the price of $249 great I paid 350. and was still worth every penny.......And yes I thought it took great video for the price!!

hello, for the circuit city camcorder, marked $199.99 ARhow much is it before the mail in rebate? also, how much for he jvc tapes there before rebate advertised $3.99?

I just looked at the circuit city ad again and I didn't see it said after rebate -where can I find that? I still want to find out that model number at circuit city too!

I noticed on cnet they have posted the the Panasonic PV-GS31 has a $50 rebate good through January 28, 2006 if this helps at all. Which would mean that circuit city's before rebate price (if the advertised $199 is really after a rebate) would be $249.99? Which is the same price it will be at best buy (if it's the same model) and Sears on BF.

Which then leads me to ask if the best buy/sears prices listed is before or after rebate?

Also, Sears will have the Canon ZR100 MiniDV Digital Camcorder with 2-1/2 in. LCD on sale for $249.99 on BF and consumers report ranks this one their best values in the digital tape category.

Also, found consumers reports review of this camcorder. Rated it's picture quality and ease of use as good (on a scale of excellent, very good, good, fair and poor). The image stablizer was rated as very good but their audio quality was rated at fair.

The overall score given was good.

Hope this helps some.

I just looked at the circuit city ad again and I didn't see it said after rebate -where can I find that? I still want to find out that model number at circuit city too!

I noticed on cnet they have posted the the Panasonic PV-GS31 has a $50 rebate good through January 28, 2006 if this helps at all. Which would mean that circuit city's before rebate price (if the advertised $199 is really after a rebate) would be $249.99? Which is the same price it will be at best buy (if it's the same model) and Sears on BF.

Which then leads me to ask if the best buy/sears prices listed is before or after rebate?

Also, Sears will have the Canon ZR100 MiniDV Digital Camcorder with 2-1/2 in. LCD on sale for $249.99 on BF and consumers report ranks this one their best values in the digital tape category.

first off, heres a link to the $50 mail in rebate:

CC /image/help_and_services/rebates/cameras/EB107_071005.pdf (sorry cant insert URLs yet - replace CC with with circuit citys web address)

...in its wording it doesnt have restrictions on purchase price or where you purchase from... the BB advertisment for the PV-GS31 is for instant savings so if all works out you would actually pay 200 for the cam...

additionally the CC panasonic thast going for $199 is the PV-GS19 model which is more inferior...

as far as the Cannons im just too worried about the motor noise reports from many people... it also helps BB has no interest for $300 purchases vs. CC has no interest @ $500 purchase...

I wouldn't rush to shout-out the praises of JVC camcorders just yet. They have consistently been rated the most unreliable brand available, while Panasonic and Sony tend to be the most reliable.

And I don't know what you mean by dew detection. Most electronics have moisture 'tags' that change color if they have been exposed to moisture. The reason for this is that if you drop your camcorder in the lake and it stops working, the warranty will not cover it. To see what I am talking about look on any cell phone (in the battery area and also on the battery as well) to see one. It will probably be white or pink. The tag doesn't deactivate the device, the device got wet, failed, and the tag will tell the technician why.

It's not like a cell phone--this is a sensor inside the camera that if it "senses" moisture, it shuts the camera off. Do a search for Panasonic and "dew detected" This is the message that is on the screen before it shuts itself off. Mine was stored in a closet on the first floor without any source of moisture possible. Mine did it at a little over a year and since it had only been used a few times in that year, it was a waste of money

It's not like a cell phone--this is a sensor inside the camera that if it "senses" moisture, it shuts the camera off. Do a search for Panasonic and "dew detected" This is the message that is on the screen before it shuts itself off. Mine was stored in a closet on the first floor without any source of moisture possible. Mine did it at a little over a year and since it had only been used a few times in that year, it was a waste of money

I looked it up and found this 'feature' to be a source of numerous headaches for older VHS-C era Panasonic camcorders. Dew is normally not an issue for sealed electronics like cell phones, digital cameras, and MP3 players. If you get out of a nicely air-conditioned car into the sweaty July heat of Mississippi the humid air will condense onto any surface that the warm humid air can circulate around. Camcorders are not sealed and it sounds like a theoretically good idea to prevent the tape assembly from running and pushing water droplets into the sensitive electronics. So the warning and shut-down is good because it protects the camera from real damage. What is also being encountered is this circuit becoming locked 'on' and essentially killing the equipment.

This is probably a good lesson for all miniDV camcorder users. Throw some of the silica gel packs into the camera bag to head this off.

None of these deals sound too hot. I checked www.eopinions.com and found them all for cheaper.... :(

Which camcorder are you referring to? The panasonic PV-GS31 was listed on the e-opinions site for $304-$497. Much higher than BB's BF deal of $249.99 br (or $199.99 ar).

So maybe it was a different one you were looking at?

How can you tell which camcorder deals include or have a rebate option with them? I was looking at the Best Buy Panasonic for $249. Is there a $50 rebate in addition to that?

I just happened to find the rebate while looking for reviews on the camcorders on the cnet website. I can't post links here, but google "panasonic rebates" or something similar to get the information up. I know the the PV-GS31 and the PV-GS35 have a $50 rebate right now and the PV-GS19 has a $20 rebate.

I just happened to find the rebate while looking for reviews on the camcorders on the cnet website. I can't post links here, but google "panasonic rebates" or something similar to get the information up. I know the the PV-GS31 and the PV-GS35 have a $50 rebate right now and the PV-GS19 has a $20 rebate.

The $50 MIR expires the day before T-giving. Oh well.

The $50 MIR expires the day before T-giving. Oh well.

I don't know what rebate you are looking at, but the one I found is still good. It states, and I quote "To receive your $20 or $50 rebate by mail, purchase a select panasonic PV-GS19, PVGS-31, or PV-GS35 Camcorder from October 1, 2005 through January 28, 2006".

So it's still a good rebate. The rebate does need to be postmarked within one month of the date of purchase and there is a limit of 1 rebate per person, household or address.

But the rebate is still a valid one. I'd post the link if I could, but I'm to new to be able to.

I seen the camcorder on QVC yesterday...it was a Panasonic. I ordered it but I think I might just return it if I can get the Panasonic one at BB and use the rebate for it.

So is it possible to buy the BB camcorder at $249 and print/mail in the $50 rebate also? Pretty good deal if it works...

Hi

Can you tell me how i can get the deal listed on the first page of this thread ie

BESTBUY

* Panasonic PV-GS31 MiniDV Camcorder w/ 26x Optical Zoom - $249.99

when i click on the link & browse to camcorders .. it shows $399 -$50 rebate

help Joe

That link will take you to the "current" price. You can look at the Friday sale paper here:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=15792

Click on the Best Buy ad and you can enlarge it to read the details. Its on the 2nd page. Its $249.99 after instant rebate, and you should still be able to mail in a $50 rebate. It says minimum 15 per store, no rainchecks, Friday 5-noon.

Hope this helps :)

Try this link as it has a more current rebate you can use for $50 off the $249.99 price at BB on BF (you don't have to buy it at target though):

http://target.com/target/promotions/rebates/B0007QN86U.pdf

Also, the cnet website also is showing the same rebate:

http://shopper.cnet.com/4014-6500_9-31267320.html

Excellent find! The Best Buy rebate was funded by Best Buy. This one is funded by Panasonic. Now the next question is, how early to get to Best Buy....

Hi - I am wondering if you go to bestbuy.com now and apply that $50 rebate to make the panasonic camera 349, then can you also send in the panasonic sponsored one? I don't want my DH to have to be up shopping so early - he'll be grumpy all day then! What do you think?? I really want this camera - wish I knew a best buy that wouldn't be so swamped! UGH!