* Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Thread *

ozziebandit

You're telling me that Walmart will have a 42" HD plasma from Magnavox for $997? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Or do you mean the one that's $1500 at BB?

It may be incredibly hard to believe but it appears to be true

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4104441

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/78/49/96/0003784996281_215X215.jpg

I am new here. Looking for a 32" LCD under 1000.00. Any reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Sears Proview for 799.? Consumer Reports rated it about the same or slightly above Westinghouse. Why so much more interest in the Westinghouse?

Sue

I am new here. Looking for a 32" LCD under 1000.00. Any reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Sears Proview for 799.? Consumer Reports rated it about the same or slightly above Westinghouse. Why so much more interest in the Westinghouse?

Sue

Sorry, I meant the Sears Proton.

Sue

It may be incredibly hard to believe but it appears to be true

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4104441

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/78/49/96/0003784996281_215X215.jpg

If so, I'll be returning my westinghouse after I buy this. I checked the online ad and the picture does not look like the Magnavox although I'm sure they could have a different TV pictured than the one offered. I still can't wrap my head around a sub $1000 HD plasma.

You're telling me that Walmart will have a 42" HD plasma from Magnavox for $997? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Or do you mean the one that's $1500 at BB?

We're talking Walmart here...if best buy saves 500 on a tv.. Walmart HAS to save more. It wouldnt be Walmart, if they wouldnt do such a thing

If so, I'll be returning my westinghouse after I buy this. I checked the online ad and the picture does not look like the Magnavox although I'm sure they could have a different TV pictured than the one offered. I still can't wrap my head around a sub $1000 HD plasma.

What is your source? Remember crap in, crap out. I hope you're using an OTA HDTV receiver, HDTV cable or satellite feed.

The Westinghouse is still a better deal.

IMO ED plasma's area waste of money. I'd either spend $1500 on that Magnavox 42" HD plasma, or $900 on the Westinghouse 32" HD LCD.

Ignorance. EDTVS are the better choice for many consumers, not just because they are cheaper, but because there is almost no difference in picture quality for common applications. Most dvds and video games will look exactly the same. HDTV may look slightly better, but the picture is great on edtvs until they start broadcasting at higher resolutions which may be years away. SDtv generally looks better on EDTV sets which is what most people are watching now.

Far more important to many is the quality of the set. I will take a high end edtv anyday over a low end hdtv plasma. I would stay away from these 999 edtvs personally, I got a deal on an LG/Zenith 42 inch edtvs, rated as one of the best on the market for 1260 on clearance, and the picture is superior to the Maganox hd and produces a considerably superior standard tv picture compared to the westinghouse.

Sue

Because Best Buy has the Westinghouse 32" LCD on sale TODAY FOR $809 after coupon.

You can buy it TODAY which means no BF lines to deal with.

What is your source? Remember crap in, crap out. I hope you're using an OTA HDTV receiver, HDTV cable or satellite feed.

The Westinghouse is still a better deal.

No, I meant that the TV picture walmart has online does not match the picture of the Magnavox. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The picture on the Westinghouse is amazing, don't get me wrong there.

Ignorance. EDTVS are the better choice for many consumers, not just because they are cheaper, but because there is almost no difference in picture quality for common applications. Most dvds and video games will look exactly the same. HDTV may look slightly better, but the picture is great on edtvs until they start broadcasting at higher resolutions which may be years away. SDtv generally looks better on EDTV sets which is what most people are watching now.

Far more important to many is the quality of the set. I will take a high end edtv anyday over a low end hdtv plasma. I would stay away from these 999 edtvs personally, I got a deal on an LG/Zenith 42 inch edtvs, rated as one of the best on the market for 1260 on clearance, and the picture is superior to the Maganox hd and produces a considerably superior standard tv picture compared to the westinghouse.

I should have been more specific. THOSE EDTV's are a waste of money. If I were to buy an ED, it'd be a Panasonic which does look incredibly good. I can't afford that though.

Because Best Buy has the Westinghouse 32" LCD on sale TODAY FOR $809 after coupon.

You can buy it TODAY which means no BF lines to deal with.

I couldn't get them to honor the 10% off coupon because on the back it says "not good with any other offers" or some BS like that. But since I bought mine on Saturday and then went in and PM'd it, I did get a $50 rebate. So don't be surprised if you go to buy it and it's $899 and not $809. Just giving folks a heads up. The TV rocks though and it's still well worth $899.

Yeah I am debating getting the Westing or the Toshiba 46" on BF from BB. I would be saving like $600 I could even get the XBOX 360 coming out if I did. I don't know what to do. I would like having the extra 8 inches but I think I like DLP better than LCD. The tech to me seems to be better. Anyone have any opinions????

I tried reading through most of the posts here and I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm about crosseyed from reading all of this madness. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the difference when an ad says HD Ready as simply opposed to HD?

2. I'm looking for a good, cheap HDTV for my game room. I'm on a fairly limited budget and would like to have an HDTV for my new XBOX 360 and my DVD's. Any suggestions? I'm talking hopefully under $500. Also, when a program comes on television like some sporting events that says "presented in HD" if I have an HDTV will I see it in HD?

Sorry, just don't know all that much about HDTV's. Thanks in advance.

DD

I don't think they can picture a different tv than the one on sale... wouldn't that be false advertisment? The 42" plasma wasn't showing on my local circular, but showed when I put in a zip code about 20 miles from me... it looks like the same Magnavox tv to me, but when I called the store, they said the only 42" plasmas they carry are signature... is it possible that they may be getting them in for friday and they will be held on a truck as walmart has done with tv's in the past?

I tried reading through most of the posts here and I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm about crosseyed from reading all of this madness. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the difference when an ad says HD Ready as simply opposed to HD?

2. I'm looking for a good, cheap HDTV for my game room. I'm on a fairly limited budget and would like to have an HDTV for my new XBOX 360 and my DVD's. Any suggestions? I'm talking hopefully under $500. Also, when a program comes on television like some sporting events that says "presented in HD" if I have an HDTV will I see it in HD?

Sorry, just don't know all that much about HDTV's. Thanks in advance.

DD

this is the info I got from sears website... you can type in HDTV and pull up any tv and click on buyers guide... most of the info you need should be there.

HDTV

HDTV stands for high-definition television. A true HDTV includes a built-in NTSC tuner, ATSC tuner, 16:9 aspect ratio and the ability to display at least 720-line resolution images. High-definition television delivers true-to-life images, taking your entertainment experience up a notch. What differentiates a HDTV from a HD-ready TV is having the ATSC tuner already built in. HD-ready TVs have a NTSC tuner, but require connection to an additional ATSC tuner. It is common to see a TV described as being a HDTV, but it may be only HD-ready because the ATSC tuner is not built in. Confirm the status of the ATSC tuner before purchasing a HDTV.

• HDTVs allow you to receive over-the-air high-definition and standard broadcasts without an additional set-top box (HD-capable antenna required)

• HD-ready TVs are fully capable of a high-definition display when connected to an optional HDTV source, such as an ATSC tuner

The WM plasma says it can be ordered online. I wasn't planning to get a TV, however, this is a deal I cannot pass up. Would they charge shipping on BF for one of their deals?

I will be in line at CC so I can't make it to WM, online is my only option.

the WM BF sales wont available online until 5am (I called CS and asked) ... now what time zone is the question (I forgot to ask that question)... so if youre in line at CC you cant be online at the same time unless its a different time zone... anyone know what timezone walmart.com uses?

I have seen LCD and Plasma's as I'm sure all of you have. I think Plasma's blow LCD's outta the water, at least what I have seen.

If you like gaming or sports Plasma's are the way to go. LCD has a slower response time than Plasma's. If a football game is on the ball blurs a little more with LCD because the response time is slower and a video game would respond slower to a button being pressed.

Guest innatthepark

Hey everyone i was looking at the 26" Westinghouse LCD from BB and the 26" Olevia from CC. Which one would u guys go with?

Definitely the Westinghouse but it's probably sold out already.

A $1299 HDTV selling for $809? It will sell out fast.

The 26" Westinghouse he is asking about is not the same one that BB had on sale these past 2 days.

I noticed that several stores are having good prices on 15" LCD TV's. I haven't seen these discussed as much as some of the really HOT items such as laptops. Is this really going to be that hot of an item or do you think it won't be too difficult to get one of these?

I would like to "educate the general population on the "hi-end" television such as LCD and Plasma.

One sentence: Cheap more times than not is dear!!!

Do not think LCD is LCD or plasma is plasma from one manufacturer to the next. There is a lot of other hardware and more importantly, image rendering software (filter algorithms) that play a huge part in image reproduction. Remember, these are not analog TV's these are DIGITAL sets.

If you want benchmark brands to compare images in a store, use Panasonic or Pioneer to compare Plasma. Use Toshiba, Panasonic or Sony for LCD. If you see too much of a difference in pixel gap, smoothness of color changes, jagged edges on diagonal images, color variations, or noise on the screen.....stay away from that "deal" you were looking at.

Here is a perfect example of some deals on BF:

The Syntax Olevia(Wal-Mart and CompUSA) and the Insignia(Best Buy) are identical products. The Insignia is a re-brand of the Syntax and the Syntax is a re-brand of a Taiwanese manufacturer Digimedia Technology.

The LCD image quality from a standard definition feed was horrendous on both units. HD and DVD feeds may be better but they both have a best refresh rate of 16ms(usually measured going from black to white). I would imagine the rest of the color wheel has a refresh of over 30-100ms which will make you want to throw up when there is fast action on the screen.

The only units from these brands that may be better are their 32" and 37" LCD models. Refresh, Brightness & contrast is almost double, so the image will definitely be better from DVD playback and HD signals.

So remember, cheap may be dear when it comes to TV's, especially LCD and plasma. You may be better off waiting for a benchmark brand to clear out last year's model and save your money then, even if the price is twice what the off-brand is. Remember, these TV's will be in your living room or bedroom for at least 5-10+ years(unless you like to change units like a leased car).

I hope this has been helpful and wish you luck in your search for video fidelity.