What do I need for our new Xbox 360 ?

Lilasmom

I bought us a Xbox 360 w/ Kinect for a surprise family gift. I now need to find out what accessories I need to get to use it. One wireless remote comes with the package so I assumed I needed at least one more, should I get two more ? Will the times three players will need a remote at the same time. The tv we will be playing it on is in the living room and is a flat panel, wall mounted above the fireplace. Do I buy a floorstand for the kinect or place below the tv on the fireplace mantle or mount it on top of the tv ? I don't want to place it on the wall, no wall holes please..

Do I need to buyer a charger for the remotes ?

What about Xbox membership points ? What will we use this for ? I believe the package comes with a couple months membership, what about points ?

Thanks for your help. I'm don't want to unwrap it on Christmas day and find out then, we don't have everything we need to make it work.

Laura

They make a mount that will go on top of the tv for the kinect. My kids love microsoft points, you can download games, map packs, etc with them. Honestly I think 2 controllers should be enough, remember target has a $10 coupon in the toy book for those. :) The Kinect itself is a controller for the Kinect games. If you buy a new wireless controller, it will come with a charger wire. I don't remember if it comes with one, but one cable should be enough. Don't forget the games! Lots of fun ones!

I would recommend a charger, my DS goes thru too many batteries otherwise. I also would get another controller, Amazon has a wireless one for about $36. I recommend you start looking for a deal on the Live membership. It think you only get for 3 months with the bundle. Yesterday Ebay had the membership for $39.99 down from $59.99(do a search on here and see if its still available) Microsoft points are a must also but you dont need them to paly out of the box, it is for extras that are downloaded from the marketplace so keep and eye on here for deals. I usually pay between $35 - $40 for 4,000 points which normally goes for $49.99, 1600 points goes for $19.99 but I have gotten it as low as $13. I stock up all year for Xmas so I only buy when I see on sale. How old are your children. My DS 15 (will be 16 4 days before Xmas) asked this year for a Turtle Beach headset for playing the online games. I dont know if your bundle comes with a microsoft headset which is used when playing online, DS has used that one since he got his first Xbox in 2007. Other than the above I would just check out the games. The Kinect is great and gets everyone moving. Enjoy

this was really informative. I've been debating on the xbox-kinect bundle.

I think theses points are also on the Mt Dew cartons currently.

Really I guess I am off to look for MT Dew lol. I stock up on the points all year since they are so expensive. They had 4000 points on ebay 3 days ago and I already bought it for next year lol

Thanks for all the responses. My kids are 7 and 3, so I don't plan on letting them play online. We have a Wii (we got it last Christmas) and we play it a lot, but I'm a WDW nut and when I saw the commercial for the Kinect Disneyland, I was sold. I also like that my daughter, who's 3 can play the Kinect, where we don't allow her to play the Wii. I've bought the Disneyland game, Dance Central 2 and some used Madden, Fishing games for my husband. I'm watching out for a deal on the Sports 2 kinect and the animal Kinect. I saw a recent commercial where a woman is sitting on a couch, speaking to her Xbox to find a movie, is this for real ?

The top of my tv is 7' off the ground, is this too tall for the tv mounting of the Kinect ?

Thanks,

Laura

Do you have something under the TV that you could put the kinect on? It might be too high otherwise especially with the 3yr old. There is also the zoom for kinect that is supposed to make the area needed for kinect smaller. I have not tried it but I heard good and bad reviews. Another game I recommend is wipeout 1 in the zone, we had kids here ranging from 4 to 13 and they all were able to handle it. They were occupied for hours!!

I know that you can stream netflix on the Xbox as well as Youtube. DS does all that on his. I have not tried it yet.

points are nice, but only if you download alot of the add ons. I'd recommend buying a few 360 games while they're at decent prices as after xmas. The prices will go back up to $59.99 per game. For most games or regular pricing :) If you find a good deal for xbox live pick up a year. Another thing to pickup would be a wireless mic. or wired mic so you can talk to people online.

I saw a recent commercial where a woman is sitting on a couch, speaking to her Xbox to find a movie, is this for real ?

The top of my tv is 7' off the ground, is this too tall for the tv mounting of the Kinect ?

Thanks,

Laura

That is indeed for real. YOU are the controller. lol

7 feet should be fine. Mine is on a TV stand which is about 3 feet tall and it is a 60" tv so it is pretty big. What size room are you playing in? You MAY need to get the new zoom for Kinect if it is a small room.

Have fun! :)

You can get a charger that comes with rechargeable batteries that the controllers sit on to charge. THis is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Charge-Base-360-Xbox/dp/B00273Z9WM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323911301&sr=8-4

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cSnCzZs-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You could also get this one it charges the batteries you just have to put them in the controller once charged. It comes with one battery and charger you can always pick up another battery

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Quick-Charge-Kit/dp/B0041CWZEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323911301&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gp1HXT3UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I keep hearing that I need a hdmi cable. What is this and do I really need it?

Hdmi is just high definition you don't have to have it to hook your 360 up. It comes with a tv hookup that will work just fine. As for the mt dew point thing its not points its a code to get double xp on call of duty modern warfare 3. If you are not playing online you don't have to pay for live you will still be able to get game updates and I think map packs and such without the gold membership of live.