Handmade gifts.....that don't LOOK like handmade gifts!

floridasun5

I just started doing some ETCHING. The last thing I made was a pyrex casserole dish with our last name etched on it. I am definatly doing some of those as gifts this year because it turned out so great.

I think its a great idea to be creative during the holidays :)

Too bad we don't live close, I could borrow it since we have the same last name.:tongue1:

BTW, for those that have done the etching, do ya'll have a cricut? I don't have one and was wondering how hard it would be w/o it.

Too bad we don't live close, I could borrow it since we have the same last name.:tongue1:

BTW, for those that have done the etching, do ya'll have a cricut? I don't have one and was wondering how hard it would be w/o it.

HaH

I don't have a Cricut, I did have one this time last year and HATED it , hated that thing more than I can express LOL It was the user not the Cricut just so you guys know. I sold it in a garage sale for $25 bucks.

So this years etchings have been done using premade stencils or handmade stencils. I have used, a few vinyl stickers. If you have a good craft store there are plenty of options. If you use vinyl/stickers they can really only be used once anyways.

HaH

I don't have a Cricut, I did have one this time last year and HATED it , hated that thing more than I can express LOL It was the user not the Cricut just so you guys know. I sold it in a garage sale for $25 bucks.

So this years etchings have been done using premade stencils or handmade stencils. I have used, a few vinyl stickers. If you have a good craft store there are plenty of options. If you use vinyl/stickers they can really only be used once anyways.

I am picturing (for me anyways!) the etching stuff dripping out of the sides of the stencil or something if I am using a paper or cardstock weight stencil. How do you keep it from going outside of it? Sorry - I am really interested in trying this, but just picturing a huge mess by the time I'm done!

I am picturing (for me anyways!) the etching stuff dripping out of the sides of the stencil or something if I am using a paper or cardstock weight stencil. How do you keep it from going outside of it? Sorry - I am really interested in trying this, but just picturing a huge mess by the time I'm done!

I don't know about mom2monkiesx3, but I buy adhesive vinyl in a roll at Hobby Lobby or Michael's when it's on sale or with the coupons. I don't have a cricut, I normally just cut my own stencil. The adhesive vinyl cuts with an X-acto knife but may take a little practice to get fluid lines if you've never made a stencil before. I've never had any problems with the etching cream bleeding.

I have read that come people use the clear contact paper but I have seen where it can have bleeding problems if you aren't careful.