Son wants a tablet...I'm just bewildered with them!

ilikefree

Okay, talk to me like I'm 2! My son wants a tablet for Christmas, but I don't know anything about them. Are the $80 good ones as opposed to the ipad? There's no way we can afford the ipad, or a generic one either for that matter, but relatives are asking for Christmas lists from kids already. You can surf the net on them, right? Do they have anything to do with apps you see everywhere? Do you have to subscribe to something to use them (we have a wireless router in our house) like a cell phone? Sorry for sounding so stupid, but I'm an old fogey here and don't do well with technology anymore! Everything changes so fast!

Yes you can surf the net on them and you would be using the router.

I bought a cheap generic tablet for my kids last spring, I did not get it for them to surf emails gaming etc. I got it for them to use as an ereader, at the time it was cheaper than an ereader. Using it as an ereader worked out fine after I had a friend jail break it. It did not use the Google market to get apps which was needed to download the Nook app and the Kindle app. They can surf the net, but the touch screen is not the greatest. It takes them a while to actually get to the page they are looking for. Gaming is out of the question as is streaming Netflix or even Amazon. They were able to watch movies, that I had downloaded to an SD card.

For us it worked out fine, I paid $70 for it at a time when ereaders were more money. Now that ereaders have come down in price I would not do it again.

I have looked at the Kindle Fire coming out, and I have pre-ordered it for my Husband for Xmas. He is away from us during the week and it will give him something to do during his off times from work. The Fire is a Tablet and based on the reviews it looks like it will be giving some competition to the Ipad but without that price tag. It will not be able to do everything the Ipad can do but it has very good reviews. At release it is $199. According to the reviews it has flash, you can surf the net, emails, download apps from the Amazon store which has tons of apps available. The big selling point for me was that it will stream movies from Amazon (its free streaming for us as an Amazon Prime member) which is what DH whats to be able to do.

I am looking at tablets also for DS15 but the one I am looking at will be used by him to do papers while away from home and his computer. It has a keyboard docking station that actually turns the tablet into a netbook. (I am also not paying for it, this will be his gift from his Grandpa as a combo Bday/Xmas and Grandpa is open to the price which is $500).

I hoped I helped a little. I am still learning all this stuff myself