What effect will early openings have on "Doorbuster Hours?"

mcwalker

What effect will earlier openings have on "doorbuster hours?" Let me explain what I mean:

Doorbuster hours have typically been from opening (5-7 AM) until around noon time. Will doorbuster hours now be 12 hours or longer, still from opening to around noon on Friday?

"Hot" doorbuster items (limited supply at extra low prices) will always sell out in minutes or a bit longer after opening. However, I have often gotten doorbuster items that were in supply much longer (a few hours or longer), or didn't sell out (clothes, shoes, household items, etc. with doorbuster deals). A couple of times, I just ran out of time to get to some of these lesser items before doorbuster hours expired. If the doorbuster hours are now much longer, there will be more time to get to these items after the initial rush for hotter items (if you have the stamina to keep going).

I don't recall what Toys-R-Us did last year (except that they didn't seem to have many doorbuster items that didn't sell out fairly quickly, so they could have sold more if they had had the stock and wanted to sell at that price). I also hope that the Walmart procedure will not be repeated or copied by other stores.

Any thoughts? :) (Does this make sense?) :tongue1:

I think TRU had 2 sets - one from 10pm to 1pm and the other set from 5am to 1pm.

Like you said, that works for them, but it wouldn't work so well for a Walmart or Best Buy. They'd almost have to clear the store out before the second set started, otherwise you'd have people "camping out" inside the store from 10pm or midnight until the next doorbusters started.

Walmart did two sets.

IIRC, Walmart had deals that were good from midnight to close on Friday, but the "real" doorbusters were still from 5-11.

Walmart got away with it because their stores are huge. Target/BB - not so much in most cases.

I agree. For the sake of this convo if BB opens at 12 midnight I think they will have doorbusters from 12 midnight to 5am or so.

In talking to my BB manager he says that there are two waves of shoppers on Black Friday. The first is the hardcore Black Friday shoppers who get up early and are done by 10am. The second wave is everyone else who is out shopping because alot of people are off of work and family is in town. The day after thanksgiving is the the official first day of holiday shopping.

In reality Black Friday is over by 8am on Friday.

IIRC, Walmart had deals that were good from midnight to close on Friday, but the "real" doorbusters were still from 5-11.

Walmart got away with it because their stores are huge. Target/BB - not so much in most cases.