Whats on your Thanksgiving day menu?

momof3luvs1

We always do fried turkey and have a dry rub for it. It is TO DIE FOR!! I will have to ask my Mom for the recipe, as I have never fried one myself.

As to what our menu is- for my Dad's side of the family we have about 60 people for lunch, so we have a pot luck buffet (about 15 feet long) filled with every food imaginable(usually fried turkey, fried chicken, roast beef, pork tenderloin, beef stew/rice, Bar B Que, chicken and dumplins, chicken salad, turkey salad, spiral sliced ham- that's just the meats). And another 25-30 different desserts. Then we go to my other grandmother's house for dinner where we have another 25-30 people. Lots of food eaten on Thanksgiving in my family. :gdlicklips:

Wooow!! I think I need to just come to your family feast instead. How many naps do you guys end up taking? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, long time no see. I have a lot going on this year.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays to cook for, along with Passover. I love dry brining my turkey; roasting it a la Alton Brown; and having planned over meat and the carcass for soup, stock, and various dishes built upon cooked poultry.

However, I was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and my surgeon had scheduled me to have my thyroid removed this coming Monday. So, not knowing what recovery and/or further treatment would involve, we scratched any plans for me to cook this year.

This is the first year my son is away at college, though. After discussing this with my doctor, she was persuaded to postpone my surgery until the Monday after Thanksgiving, on November 28th. This way my son can come home, spend his break with us, and I’ll be admitted the day after he returns so we can spend all of his break together.

My husband and I decided we will make reservations to go to the Best Western Gateway Grand here in Gator Town's Thanksgiving buffet. Their menu looks awesome and the price is reasonable. I will miss having my planned overs and stock, but I have already purchased a small frozen turkey for me to prepare once I have recuperated.

So, I foresee me watching the Macy’s parade; going to the buffet midafternoon; hanging with the homies while looking through the sale flyers and planning my Black Friday strategy; and just overall taking it easy.

After all, most of all, this holiday is about family and gratitude. With an upcoming battle for my health approaching, I will indulge in and be thankful for as much family togetherness as I can.

Things are different this year. My mom moved to Florida, we usually go to her house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year DH and I are going to his dad and stepmother's house. We also have my brother, his fiance and her son staying with DH and I for a month or so. We are going to cook here and split the day between home with them and the in laws. :eyepoppin